Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best html editor?

• 29-10-2013 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Goodmorning, Dose anyone know a free HTML css editor that automatically closes your tags for you and maybe highlights when the code is wrong, I already downloaded komodo and another one but didnt have this feature, anless theres a setting I didnt know about

Any help appriciated, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

try SublimeText2, you will need to add some plugins to make autotags work

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Notepad++. Tried loads and keep going back to it. Sublime is also nice, but Notepad++'s "find in all opened files" feature is the best I've come across,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Yeah sublime is awesome but Notepad++ has some features that are just brilliant.

Brackets.io is also nice, very clean layout although it has a couple of bugs, still though once its stable, will be switching to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

aaand as always - KomodoEdit

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Do any of these kits have the auto close tag feature im looking for though ?

• Advertisement

Do any of these kits have the auto close tag feature im looking for though ?

Brackets.io does but as I said it's still quite buggy and can get frustrating at times but nonetheless its still functional.

Thats the one thing I love about it, besides from the clean layout, the auto close feature as I am a lazy developer :p

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Brackets.io does but as I said it's still quite buggy and can get frustrating at times but nonetheless its still functional.

Thats the one thing I love about it, besides from the clean layout, the auto close feature as I am a lazy developer :p

Haha cheers I will try it out, do you recommend and one for javascript too ?

Haha cheers I will try it out, do you recommend and one for javascript too ?

WHen you say for javascript do you mean one that has good syntax highlighting?

If so then they all do, well Notepad++ could do with an update on it's highlighting but nothing major.

If your looking for an auto complete feature, I'm not sure but correct me if I'm wrong, there should be plugins for sublime, notepad ++ and so on for this, but I'm not sure.

If not, you'd be most likely better off to go with an IDE. Komodo is my favorite and it's cross platform, so you can use it on Linux, Mac and Windows and its clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Eclipse Web plugins have JS, CSS and HTML editors which do colour-coding and tag closing (well, the JS & CSS editors do "{" closing), although it might be a bit overkill if you're only doing static HTML. Remember it also has Java, PHP, etc. support which is useful for a full web app.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 samc36

bpmurray wrote: »
    Eclipse Web plugins have JS, CSS and HTML editors which do colour-coding and tag closing (well, the JS & CSS editors do "{" closing), although it might be a bit overkill if you're only doing static HTML. Remember it also has Java, PHP, etc. support which is useful for a full web app.

Yeah, I think if you're not gonna be using Dreamweaver, or something similar, Eclipse is the next best thing. On the more basic side Notepad ++ is great, can be used for PHP, HTML, JS etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement