Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smitten

• 27-05-2012 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just taken the plunge and purchased a camper van, either I'm completely nuts or have stumbled onto the next big thing. :)

Its not completely finished inside so I am here looking for advice.

Sink fitted not connected.

Gas Hob and Grill connected.

Fridge connected to mains circuit and gas but no vents fitted I haven't even tried to fire up the gas but it runs fine on mains circuit.

Leisure Battery (needs replacing) where do I buy one for a reasonable price.

Isolator switch on the dash I turn it on to start the engine but do I then switch it off to charge the leisure battery.

Solar Panel on roof do I connect this directly to the leisure battery and will it be safe if the battery is been charged by the alternator.

I've just gotten a tetford cassette toilet and it fits perfectly. Is it essential to use chemicals in these.

Any advice of where to buy reasonabley priced water tanks, pumps etc.

It has a 600W pure sine wave inverter connected to the leisure battery would it make more sense to run 12v appliances (T.V., Radio, DVD etc)directly from the battery rather than powering an inverter to draw 220v to run appliances with transformers.

Finally the guy I bought it from had very little knowledge about electrics etc and had some (to my mind ) strange things going on. He had a car battery charger plugged into the inverter 'appeared' to charge the battery when the inverter was turned on.

The existing CD player and T.V. were wired so that both were blown (not just the fuses either.)

Apologies for the long post all advice accepted (including the ones telling me I'm nuts).

Regards,

Fries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Is it already passed and taxed as a camper.If it is then you should be ok you can rectify the problems at your own pace.You should have a basic knowledge of electrics simple enough DC + and -.(a multimeter is essential kit)
    You should use 12v appliances where possible as the inverter itself uses up battery power.My van charges the leisure battery in 3 different ways solar panel,alternator,main charger.The solar panel should be connected via a solar regulator,the alternator is via a split charge relay.These can be found on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

defike wrote: »
    Is it already passed and taxed as a camper.If it is then you should be ok you can rectify the problems at your own pace.You should have a basic knowledge of electrics simple enough DC + and -.(a multimeter is essential kit)
    You should use 12v appliances where possible as the inverter itself uses up battery power.My van charges the leisure battery in 3 different ways solar panel,alternator,main charger.The solar panel should be connected via a solar regulator,the alternator is via a split charge relay.These can be found on ebay.

Its on the cert as a Motor home and has a full 12months DOE

I'm not worried about sorting out the electrics myself if I get the right advice.

Just googled Solar Regulator. Thanks

leisure Battery (needs replacing) where do I buy one for a reasonable price. ?

Isolator switch on the dash I turn it on to start the engine but do I then switch it off to charge the leisure battery.?

I've just gotten a tetford cassette toilet and it fits perfectly. Is it essential to use chemicals in these.

Any advice of where to buy reasonabley priced water tanks, pumps etc.?

It has a 600W pure sine wave inverter connected to the leisure battery would it make more sense to run 12v appliances (T.V., Radio, DVD etc)directly from the battery rather than powering an inverter to draw 220v to run appliances with transformers. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WildWater

Basically you either go with the Tetford Blue chemical which runs about €12-€13 for 2ltrs in the likes of Halfords.

The other option (not tried it myself) is to use a biological tablets (washing) or the biological liquid stuff. Basically so long as it is biological. This option is considerably cheaper than the chemical stuff.

I'd say these guys will have what you need. No idea how they compare price wise.

There now thats two more items off the list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

leisure Battery (needs replacing) where do I buy one for a reasonable price. ?

Isolator switch on the dash I turn it on to start the engine but do I then switch it off to charge the leisure battery.?

It has a 600W pure sine wave inverter connected to the leisure battery would it make more sense to run 12v appliances (T.V., Radio, DVD etc)directly from the battery rather than powering an inverter to draw 220v to run appliances with transformers. ?

Halfords sell leisure batteries and they give some kind of a warranty with them.

The toilet will smell if you dont use chemicals (for obvious reasons!!)

Charles Camping stock water pumps (not sure about tanks). Leisure shop in the UK do all those things too and the shipping cost is not bad. I have got a few things from them recently.

Its very easy to get 12v TV's/DVD's/Sat boxes these days. Better than using the inverter. Same for phone chargers. Probably the same for laptop/ipad chargers. There seems to be a cigarette plug type charger for everything these days. Gives you the option of using either battery too.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies.

I'll price around for 12v T.V. etc.

I called to Vanderlust campers in Ennis today and they have Fiamma watertanks and small 12v pumps in stock.

They also deliver free if your purchase price is over €100.

I was hoping to get on the road this weekend but that won't happen now as I'd rather have the electrics,T.V. and water sorted before I take it out to play.

(Half the fun is sorting out all these things anyway.)

Fries.

Advertisement