Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English Poets 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I did ordinary last year the poets are normally different . But there are a few poets from the poets on the honours course but there are other poets . Like you don't need to learn as many poems from a specific poet like honours level. Then a few of the poems studied show up and you just answer the question but you don't need to give a personal response to the poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Controversial, but I hope Plath doesn't come up. There I said it.

Ditto. I'll be delighted if she doesn't come up! Being honest, I think she's more likely to not come up than she is to actually come up.

I'd be happy with Plath or Rich I'd love if they both came up then I could choose which one to answer :). I know I'm avoiding Heaney as much as I can well at least the themed questions .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Controversial, but I hope Plath doesn't come up. There I said it.

Ditto. I just don't feel comfortable writing about her poetry, it's too controversial or something. And the fact almost everyone I know is planning on answering on her if she's there! I'll more than likely do Heaney, but if Rich is there and the question is nice i'll do her question. (Might drop in the subtle hint i'm a lad if i'm doing her) Almost all the lads in my class have decided against her! Same with Kinsella actually, who's not too bad either!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

If she doesn't come up, there'll be a lot of bawling and crying. Less competition, in other words.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I would love if she didnt come up. :pac: I plan to do Larkin just to be different, but I feel I could answer any kind of question on Plath anyway. I'm feeling a language question like Boland last year just because they're hard to do without the book open. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lamie

Really hoping for Plath or Boland, otherwise I'm screwed. Going to try to learn Rich sometime this week... Repeating so Boand would be great deja vu, wouldn't be the first time a poet comes up twice in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Larkin would be my favourite, then Plath, then Heaney, then Boland and then if i have to Kav. wouldn't do adrienne rich even if i knew she was defo going to be up

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Giving the Larkin shtuff beans at the moment, he is a top lad. If anyone is interested in some other Larkin stuff read 'This Be The Verse'....The first line still makes me giggle (childish but who give a f**k, it was probably our parents fault anyway)

Togepi wrote: »
    Ditto. I'll be delighted if she doesn't come up! Being honest, I think she's more likely to not come up than she is to actually come up.

Another Boland job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Would I be safe with Heaney, Kav, Kinsella and Larkin?

Chance of the 3 women and Frost aren't that high?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I would love if she didnt come up. :pac: I plan to do Larkin just to be different, but I feel I could answer any kind of question on Plath anyway. I'm feeling a language question like Boland last year just because they're hard to do without the book open. :L

I did that Boland question today, did not enjoy.

I think Heaney is more likely than Plath, but I find him really hard to write about for some reason...think it's the fact the poems we studied are all really different so it's hard to put it all together coherently or something. Kavanagh would solve all my problems tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I repeated this year and my class did Heaney in 5th year so I dont have a clue about him. Really hoping for Kinsella to come up to be honest! Wouldn't mind Plath or Kavanagh either. After that I'm lost...and take it from someone who's experienced it, there is no worse feeling in the L.C than turning to the back of English paper 2 and seeing not one poet you have studied! Happened last year and it cost me a grade!

I blame human psychology for the sudden shift in opinion of what is to come up. In the end, it is down to who was setting the paper. If it was the same examiner as usual, then perhaps the trend maybe maintained, and poets predictable. However I personally wouldn't risk relying on just one poet unless you're fully prepared to pay the consequence of losing a grade instantly. There are a number of days remaining and having a general overview of a poem is sufficient to earn you marks. Have a strong 4 and a weak one. Poetry maybe pestilential for the LC due to SEC's cruel idea of "Students must study eight poets", but nevertheless you can scrape together an answer.

Unsurprisingly, the poem which we studied at JC level still remains in memory. I can easily recall a plethora of quotes. Quality not quantity.

Hopefully Rich or Plath will be a personal response. I won't do the question if it's like one where you have to refer to the question. I sometimes forget to which loses me marks . Unless I can fit the question in well.

Hopefully Rich or Plath will be a personal response. I won't do the question if it's like one where you have to refer to the question. I sometimes forget to which loses me marks . Unless I can fit the question in well.

They don't make it as straightforward any longer and a standalone personal personal response question is highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cherriiee

im nly duin one poet, and thats larkin... yep yep.. taking the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

hey just leaving you know i have a few very helpful links for study for poetry there is even full sample essays there! :)

FULL Poetry Essays

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aineeeeee

Plath, Heaney, Kinsella and Larkin, but I reckon the Plath question will be vicious, a la Boland last year. I'd die happy if Rich came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

aineeeeee wrote: »
    Plath, Heaney, Kinsella and Larkin, but I reckon the Plath question will be vicious, a la Boland last year. I'd die happy if Rich came up.

I second that about Plath! And I don't want to answer on her if everyone else is, they'll mark it really hard and I doubt ill have anything original to offer :/ would be delighted with brandy or parking!

• Advertisement

rosualt wrote: »
    brandy or parking!

Who are these?

I am actually quite confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

brandy or parking!

Who are these?

I am actually quite confused?

Haha my bad meant to say heaney and larkin :P damn you autocorrect!

Mind you, if there's any brandy going I wouldn't say no... B)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

aineeeeee wrote: »

I second that about Plath! And I don't want to answer on her if everyone else is, they'll mark it really hard and I doubt ill have anything original to offer :/ would be delighted with brandy or parking!

They can't mark the question harder if more people do it. They should mark students independently of each other, but, with the amount of students answering on that poet, there is a higher chance of very good answers so it'd be more likely if you do Plath, you'd have to do equally as well on other parts of the paper to rival the other top answerers.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

I feel like I'm the only person outta the people I know not dying for Plath to come up would much rather Rich or ever Heaney just something I don't like about Plaths poetry :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Was last year's Boland question hard?! I don't remember it, very nearly answered on it because I had revised mainly just Boland, but in the end I went with my heart and wrote on the one and only Emily Dickinson. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Plath is on the course for the next 2 years, whereas boland isn't, just saying there's nothing stopping them putting Boland up 2 years in a row, they put Yeats up 2 years in a row.... and who knows maybe they wont even put a woman up!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 teacake

Boland, Frost Plath and Heaney, I have a feeling that 2012 is the year they juggle things up a bit and put Boland and Frost on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jamiered81

Would anyone be able to send me a plan they have prepared for a question on Larkin? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

I hope Larkin comes up, wild one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

So: question for anyone like me who is doing three or less poets:

What will yas do if no one comes up? I think i'd waffle one on a poet i had done but didnt study. But it would be a veeeerrry poor essay!

Advertisement