Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reset/diagnostic on 02 ducato

• 10-06-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

The injector light has been on my ducato 2.8 jtd since I got it two years ago. I think it's on because the guy who had it before me changed the fuel filter without priming the system...low pressure momentarily on the rail caused the light to come on. Anyway does anyone know a way to reset or even read the codes on this??? Can't see an obd socket anywhere
    Cheers
    Marty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

martyc5674 wrote: »
    The injector light has been on my ducato 2.8 jtd since I got it two years ago. I think it's on because the guy who had it before me changed the fuel filter without priming the system...low pressure momentarily on the rail caused the light to come on. Anyway does anyone know a way to reset or even read the codes on this??? Can't see an obd socket anywhere
    Cheers
    Marty.

Could be a lot of things, what you describe shouldn't result in a permanent light though afaik.

Common problem with these is, fiat made the wire to number 4 injector too short its under constant tension and disconnects erratically.

You can read and reset the codes with fiatecuscan from http://www.fiatecuscan.net/ and a vagcom k-line cable which you can get for a tenner on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers paddy afaik low pressure on the rail will do it or 3rd piston deactivation not kicking in on the fuel pump at idle.
    I've checked over the leads and they seem sound and it runs very well.
    I'd like to clear it anyway just to see if it returns.
    Cheers fir the tip I'll look for a cable on eBay so
    Cheers
    Martin.

Those vag com cables appear to be obd??
    That's half my problem... There isn't an obd socket on the 01 ducato. Or am I missing something?
    Cheers
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

no there's not , it's a 2 pin socket out under the bonnet close to the fuel filter . Peugeot diags will have it too . If that injector wire is the problem you should have a "miss" in the engine.

Those vag com cables appear to be obd??
    That's half my problem... There isn't an obd socket on the 01 ducato. Or am I missing something?
    Cheers
    Marty.

You said 02 ducato thought you meant the facelift one. Even on the 02-05 ducato the obd connector is useless with a normal obd reader its not compliant.
    Aidan_M_M wrote:
    it's a 2 pin socket out under the bonnet close to the fuel filter

Thinks its 3 pin with two wires one wire is k-line and one is signal ground so you can still wire up the vag com cable if you're clever. There are also 3pin to odb adapter cables on ebay. If the three pins are wired then the extra one is just chassis ground.

[EDIT]Now that I think of it some of the older 3 pin connectors had both K and L lines and ground, so if the third is wired it might be L line. But I'm fairly sure its not.[/EDIT]

I just noticed you're in limerick I think Aida_M_M knows a friendly mechanic :-p just up the road :-p :-D who might plug it in for a few bob.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads it's a 02 reg camper but when I did brake pads on it last year it was 01 parts that matched up so it was probably sitting in showroom for a year.
    Anyway whose this mechanic?? Can you send me a link to a correct cable on eBay??
    Cheers
    Marty

Cheers lads it's a 02 reg camper but when I did brake pads on it last year it was 01 parts that matched up so it was probably sitting in showroom for a year.
    Anyway whose this mechanic?? Can you send me a link to a correct cable on eBay??
    Cheers
    Marty

Aidan_M_M is the mechanic :D Find the connector first just to be sure it should be the fiat/lancia 3 ping yoke from recollection but I know fiat changed the rail and injector pipes in 2001 so they may have changed other things.

There's a couple of connector blocks going nowhere over that sudd ic the engine bay 1 is 3 pin and the rest are 2 pin.
    Can u recommend a cable based on that???
    I took a few pics if u could pm me an email address I could send em on
    Cheers
    Marty.

There's a couple of connector blocks going nowhere over that side of the engine bay, 1 is 3 pin and the rest are 2 pin.
    Can u recommend a cable based on that???
    I took a few pics if u could pm me an email address I could send em on
    Cheers
    Marty.

show us a pic of the 3 pin one you found . A cable is no good to you without a fault code reader . The Ducato ECUs are self learning , so if you fix the problem after a couple of start and stops if everything is ok , any lights should go out . Firstly low pressure on the rail shouldn'tmake any difference , I've ran Ducatos out of fuel and no warning lights stayed on . They're self priming anyways. Are all the plugs on the fuel filter housing? Are all the injector plugs ok? the Fuel rail pressure sensor etc?

• Advertisement

Ok it's just I read somewhere that low pressure can cause it to come on and stay on. I've checked the leads and connectors to sensor all look good. I didn't pay particular attention to the connectors around the fuel filter so I'll hive that a once over the next day (van no stored at home so it's a pain trying to get time to check it out....and I'm off to France in it in 2 weeks!! )
    I have a pic but I've no idea how to get it on here as I'm using a phone... Could u pm us a email and I'll send it on
    Cheers
    Marty.

Fired up the POS laptop
    thumb_xuAPXFWvbLbMNsHpf3fNaHFZB.jpg

http://uploadpic.org/v.php?img=y1RCItsI83

Think that should be it

Looks like it alright, red/wht = k-line blue/wht = l-line and black is ground.

You can get the adapter cables like so:

Cheapest but shipping from china:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fiat-3pin-Alfa-Lancia-OBD-Diagnostic-Adapter-Cable-/250830594316?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a66ab210c

Twice the price but shipping from Manchester:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBD2-Diagnostic-Cable-Adapter-f-Fiat-Alfa-Romeo-Lanica-/380320514802?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item588cde82f2

The manchester guy also has kkl vag com cables so you'd save there on shipping if you ask him to combine.

Don't buy the full version of fiatecuscan just download the demo that will allow you to read codes. Can't guarantee 100% it will work for the pre 2002 model but since the 2.8 jtd is supported by fiatecuscan and the ecu is the same it should be fine.

okay , but how does he read the codes without buying a Code reader/diag? can it be linked to a USB port?

Yeah that fiatecuscan software runs on windows. The above cable combined with this one eBay Item #: 170642908435 should get me connected to USB
    There is a free/limited version of the software but it says it will clear codes.
    Thanks lads for the help I'll let ye know how it goes
    Marty.

please do , I'll buy one myself if it works.

Guys,
    Finally got around to hooking up the cables Paddy recommended from ebay and it all worked first time(was in Frand for a while and been busy since i got back)

Anyways,....i had 2 error codes
    Crankshaft position sensor which cleared and has stayed off now.
    But i have a fault that the ECU says is still present.

P0481-Fan Relay 2
    Cooling fan 2 control circuit
    The reason for this fault is that ECU did not receive signal from the sensor.The fault is present now.Take appropriate action to fix this sensor fault.Dashboard warning light was activated for this fault.

Heres some info from the web
    http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=DTC_P0481

Anyone able to shine some light on this???
    What fan are we talking about ...is it the main one behind the rad???..im pretty certain it kicked in a few times the last time i was caught in a bad traffic jam (albeit over a year ago!!)

Seems strange that the injector light would be on for this fault.
    Cheers,
    Marty.

That'll be the best money you've ever spent, the price of a few pints. I have that code too on a 05 ducato, the second fan is seized solid, with our weather it hasn't been a problem I just unplugged it.

Cheers Paddy,
    Which fan is it though??
    The one that delivers air to the cab or the one that is behind the rad??

Does the 05 ducato have a light on the dash...injector light possibly???

Cheers,
    Marty.
    (oh and thanks for the ebay links again... :) )

Ok.. I figured out what fan 2 is...didn't realise there were 2 behind the rad!!
    And the relays are apparently switched around by the ecu to give different voltage configurations to the fans depending on the cooling demand. They can be configured in parallel or in series or just run the one dan which I assume is the norm most of the time.

Anyway... My next question is where are these relays?? I'm guessing they are under the fuse box in the glove box and if do how do I access them??
    I see there are a few screws in the glovebox... Does this pop out to provide access?
    Cheers
    Marty.

• Advertisement

Ok.. I figured out what fan 2 is...didn't realise there were 2 behind the rad!!
    And the relays are apparently switched around by the ecu to give different voltage configurations to the fans depending on the cooling demand. They can be configured in parallel or in series or just run the one dan which I assume is the norm most of the time.

Anyway... My next question is where are these relays?? I'm guessing they are under the fuse box in the glove box and if do how do I access them??
    I see there are a few screws in the glovebox... Does this pop out to provide access?
    Cheers
    Marty.

Found em.....will take em out and see if they can be cleaned up

sorry , been off for a few days (got burnt out!) . Are they in a box at the top of the rad like the older ones?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    sorry , been off for a few days (got burnt out!) . Are they in a box at the top of the rad like the older ones?

That's them... Haven't had a chance to take them out yet, will report back once I've checked em out.
    Would this error cause the injector light to come on the dash??
    Marty.

That's them... Haven't had a chance to take them out yet, will report back once I've checked em out.
    Would this error cause the injector light to come on the dash??
    Marty.

looks like it? The second fan rarely ever comes on , so the relay may just be stuck .

Digging up an old thread here... One I started myself.

Anyway I had error P0481 since I got van... Three years ago.

Plugged in diagnostic again yesterday and I had P0480 aswell.

Messages were wrt primary and secondary cooling fan relays, this worried me as having no cooling fan in France in a few weeks could be risky!!

So I took out the relays... Opened the casings all looked fine, cleaned the contacts bench tested them and they did what they should.

So I took out the wiring loom Serving the relays and fans.
    Multimeter showed two of the control cables open circuit.... Pinpointed the breaks, stripped back cables cleaned up breaks, soldered and taped up.
    Put it all back together and bingo the horrible injector light went out!!!

I trawled the web last night.... Lots of people seem to have P0481 on their ducatos but no one seemed to find the problem on theirs.
    So hopefully this helps someone out.
    Finally after 3 years of ducato ownership I have an error free ECU!!

Marty.

I got a proper Diagnostic unit after myself , seeing as I could be plugging in to Fiat , Ford , renault , VW etc etc etc... It's cool to find and (sometimes) fix a problem whilst sitting in the driver's seat , listening to the radio....

I got a proper Diagnostic unit after myself , seeing as I could be plugging in to Fiat , Ford , renault , VW etc etc etc... It's cool to find and (sometimes) fix a problem whilst sitting in the driver's seat , listening to the radio....
    What unit did you go with in the end.

a Wurth system .

• Advertisement

a Wurth system .

I didn't realise wurth had bought autocom - resistance is futile you will be assimilated. Looks like a great universal tool millions of awful chinese fakes about. Did you get obd 1 adapter cables I was wondering how well t works with the older stuff.

Advertisement