Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pokken Tournament

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/504671535391465472

Not going to be limited to fighting types (guy's apparently head of the Pokken development)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Angron wrote: »

Not going to be limited to fighting types (guy's apparently head of the Pokken development)

:) It's really cool seeing all these outside people looking in on this FG project... Harada is really well known in the FG community, he'd often be found dressed up as Heihachi and similar stuff announcing games at conventions.

It was never in doubt it wouldn't be just fighting types to me tbh. FG characters tend to follow certain patterns and there was simply no way Pikachu or the original starter Pokemon were not going to be in this game. They want people to buy it, they'll all be in there!

It's amazing to me how much Nintendo is suddenly buying in to FGs.

Double post: Harada basically saying Pokken won't play too much like Tekken, not focused on high/ low mix ups (yes!)

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/aug/26/harada-pokken-tournament-wont-feature-highlow-mix-ups-or-tekken-guest-characters-its-completely-different-game/

---Is it true that Tekken characters [will] be making guest appearances in Pokemon/Pokken Tournament?

Harada: Ha, ha, ha. Nope, Tekken characters will not be making an appearance.

As we're making a Pokemon fighting action battle game, I've already touched on this while on the livestream, but in this game there will not be a high/mid/low guard system mechanic. Instead, we're planning to include a new type of [mechanic]...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'm getting the feeling this game is going to play like a crossbreed of Naruto and Tekken.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Double post: Harada basically saying Pokken won't play too much like Tekken, not focused on high/ low mix ups (yes!)

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/aug/26/harada-pokken-tournament-wont-feature-highlow-mix-ups-or-tekken-guest-characters-its-completely-different-game/

---Is it true that Tekken characters [will] be making guest appearances in Pokemon/Pokken Tournament?

Harada: Ha, ha, ha. Nope, Tekken characters will not be making an appearance.

As we're making a Pokemon fighting action battle game, I've already touched on this while on the livestream, but in this game there will not be a high/mid/low guard system mechanic. Instead, we're planning to include a new type of [mechanic]...

Lack of Tekken high/mid/low system throws my assumptions completely out the window. Now I'm really interested to see how this turns out. Having Harada at the helm can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Placebo wrote: »
    is everyone serious ? this looks awful.
    Pokemon is dead as well.

It died after GOLD and SILVER.

yellow. never forget.

I hear this all the time. Usually from the same kind of guys who tell me Street Fighter is dead too, just because they haven't played since SFII.

Glad to hear this. As I mentioned already, I really no fan of Fighting Types. However, I'm a big fan of the likes of Radidash and Sawsbuck which had got me thinking. If this is a 3D fighter, how will they made four legged pokémon side step without iot looking hugely unatural? I remember Ed Boon had this same problem while adding Motaro into Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. Unfortunately, he just cut off Big Mo's back legs, making him a minatur instead of a centaur, and wrapped some half-assed story about him being deseased or under a spell or something to that effect. I'm hoping Captain Tekken handles this problem better that Mister Kombat did.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well it doesn't say that it's going to include all pokémon, so it's possible some of the four-legged ones won't be included.

Well it doesn't say that it's going to include all pokémon, so it's possible some of the four-legged ones won't be included.

True enough, but I'd imagine some four legged lads would. Let's say Venasaur (for example, since he was a starter from the originals) is in it. It still going to seem a little odd seeing it sidestep, unless they make it do a wee hop or something to that effect.

It's not like 4 legged characters in an FG is that unusual. All depends on how the hitboxes are working in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭julan

Pokemon + FG I think this will be a cool combination. I hope to see this soon

• Advertisement

It's not like 4 legged characters in an FG is that unusual. All depends on how the hitboxes are working in the background.
    He's specifically referring to how a character will look when they sidestep.

Sairus wrote: »
    He's specifically referring to how a character will look when they sidestep.

Ah ok.

...yeah they'll hop :)

Ah ok.

...yeah they'll hop :)

That's pretty much what I reckon too. It'll be amusing seeing some of the heavywieghts hopping about though.

So, I was talking to a few folks today when we realised. Ditto could function as Mokujin did, transforming into a random Pokémon and using their moveset :D

So, I was talking to a few folks today when we realised. Ditto could function as Mokujin did, transforming into a random Pokémon and using their moveset :D

I would say there's a significant chance of that happening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I would say there's a significant chance of that happening :)

For extra confusion he should have the exact model and colour of the opponent, but still have a ditto face.

For extra confusion he should have the exact model and colour of the opponent, but still have a ditto face.
    It's not unheard of :pac:
    IL037_7.jpg

It's not unheard of :pac:
    IL037_7.jpg

Wow, that's creepy!

tumblr_memme8pxnU1r5rysxo1_500.jpg

Day 6. They suspect nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

Suicine, Gardevoir and (sigh) Pikachu confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Lol Pikachu with Dorya and Heihachi's hellsweep.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

All this talk of only having fighting types in it? Y'all are ****ing crazy to think Pikachu aint going to be in this. ****ing monster crazy.
    My random out of my ass assumption: Every character is going to have a Mega Form and it'll work like X-Factor.

I must be some sort of psychic.

Also, yo, location tests on Friday. woop woop

PS: Pikachu having Heihachi's win poses is awesome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Up until now, I though this was some fan-made game. Very interesting!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'm getting the feeling this game is going to play like a crossbreed of Naruto and Tekken.

This foresight doe

I'ma Pokemon master yo.

Seriously, this is the best:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Apparently they're giving away limited edition profile storage cards to the first 100 people to fill out the survey at the location tests. I wasn't going to try braving the lines on Friday night for the tests... but now I kinda want a Gardevoir card.

Another interesting thing that came to mind with this: Most JP arcade machines use these profile cards to store your win losses, win poses, colors, costumes, etc. You swipe them on the machine before you play and your profile pops up. These cards all run on NFC chips, which is also how Amiibos work.

I definitely expect this game to be an Amiibo Pokemon flagship title on consoles, but I'd be curious to see if they'll give the arcade cabs Amiibo functionality. Lucario and Pikachu both already have Smash Amiibos and I kind of expect Mewtwo and to a lesser extent Jigglypuff to appear in this game.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I miss Japan ;_; I WANNA GO

Had a go on this today. I only played it once because I wasn't really arsed hanging around another half hour to play again. I wasn't there early enough to get one of the special profile cards ;_;

General run down: There were 5 characters available in three different classes: Lucario, Pikachu, Suicune are all Standard type. Machamp is a Power type. I picked Sirnight/Gardevoir who is listed as a Technical character. The test was set up so you only played one set against an AI, but it only did that after a 'searching network for opponent' screen timed out.

The game is a pretty unique beast. It has two formats: When you're a decent distance away from the opponent the game plays like Naruto Ultimate Ninja. It's over the shoulder cameras and you can freely run in any direction on the field. You've got huge mobility here with side dashes sending you really far.

When you get closer to the opponent the camera will curl in and switch the game to a side on, Tekken style fight. It's not exactly Tekken, but it's close enough to compare. Your movement controls totally switch for this so you can no longer free run around the field - just back and forth on a straight axis like Tekken, with some slight side stepping.

It feels like the characters are all designed to work better in one style of gameplay. A friend I was with picked Pikachu and he said that of course he works fine in both systems as the jack of all trades character. Gardevoir is heavily stacked to work at long range as she has a huge array of projectiles. A lot of her closer attacks seem to knock the opponent back a lot too, giving you space to fire more stuff. Machamp is probably designed to work exclusively up close.

In addition to your character you also pick an assist. The assists all have pretty huge Area of Effect attacks and have a pretty long cooldown after each use, so you really need to use them sparingly.

Controls: It's a six button game. The four face buttons are: Light Attack, Heavy Attack, Pokemon Attack and Jump. Lights tend to be projectiles and each attack has neutral, directional and dash versions. Combos work like Tekken strings.
    I honestly just forgot to even use the Pokemon Attack button so I'm not entirely sure what it does. I think it's powerful attacks that consume meter.

You can push Light and Jump together to do a throw. Throws have GIGANTIC reach. They also leave the opponent on the ground a decent distance away.

Heavy and Pokemon Attack together will do a focus attack. The game is designed like this: Focus beats normal attacks. Normal attacks beat throw. Throw beats Focus.

Once your special meter fills up, if you hit Assist and Block together (L+R) you'll enter X-Factor. All your attacks get massively boosted and if your Pokemon has a Mega Form they'll change into that, otherwise they just start glowing. Your meter will drain pretty quick during this, but at any time before the meter drains you can hit L+R again to do a crazy powerful super attack. From what little I saw the damage values on these are completely insane.

If you can stagger your opponent (I think) by landing a bunch of hits on them a super meter powerup will appear somewhere nearby on the stage. Pick that up and it'll give you a sizeable chunk of your meter.

Probably forgetting a bunch, so ask me stuff.

Bit of an update, Charizard (expected) and Weavile (a bit less so) have been added to the roster.

• Advertisement

Weavile looks super cool actually.

Advertisement