Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RasperryPi 2 Model B 1GB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Ah fair enough. I didn't realise that. Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Seeing as it'll run with Windows 10, does that mean it should work with Sky Go?

Highly unlikely however I'd get one just for SkyGo if it did. Sky aren't great at supporting anything which has the potential to reduce their revenue stream (either multiroom or new subscriptions). They have NowTV for anyone wanting to stream to a TV. We'll have to wait for Windows 10 to arrive for someone to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's 43 quid on RS.

598db988218c457f1d0c0184b8601a0c.png

When you factor in the shíte euro vs the pound, it's the exact same as the Pi Hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Mycroft H wrote: »
    It's 43 quid on RS.

598db988218c457f1d0c0184b8601a0c.png

When you factor in the shíte euro vs the pound, it's the exact same as the Pi Hut.

From the radionics.ie site;
    Temporarily out of stock - back order for despatch 20-02-2015, delivery within 2 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Thought that would happen, I'd been thinking of buying a B+ there recently but hopped on it yesterday when the 2 came out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

I have the B+ for the last few months running XBMC. Video playback is generally perfect but loading times in the menu was frustrating. I recently picked up a usb 3.0 memory stick with 80mb write/read speed (12 quid in Argos) and installed a special version of Openelec designed to install straight to the usb stick. I overclocked to Turbo mode and the the PI is flying through the menus now - at least twice as fast as sd card only install overclocked. It's gone from being barely used to used everyday. Streaming various qualities including 1080p.

The new model should handle menus even better so worth a punt I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

breeno wrote: »
    I have the B+ for the last few months running XBMC. Video playback is generally perfect but loading times in the menu was frustrating. I recently picked up a usb 3.0 memory stick with 80mb write/read speed (12 quid in Argos) and installed a special version of Openelec designed to install straight to the usb stick. I overclocked to Turbo mode and the the PI is flying through the menus now - at least twice as fast as sd card only install overclocked. It's gone from being barely used to used everyday. Streaming various qualities including 1080p.

The new model should handle menus even better so worth a punt I reckon.

are the ports on the B+ USB 3.0?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

lawred2 wrote: »
    are the ports on the B+ USB 3.0?

No. But having a USB3.0 device will ensure that even when plugged into a USB2.0 port it is working at the fastest speed that USB2.0 will support.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

No. But having a USB3.0 device will ensure that even when plugged into a USB2.0 port it is working at the fastest speed that USB2.0 will support.
    Sorry, should have mentioned the ports are 2.0 but the 3.0 sticks work to maximum 2.0 capacity leading to a big boost in performance. I presume a top quality 2.0 stick would do the same but I haven't tried any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I was going to put mine up for sale there before Xmas , guess I left it a little late 😢

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ah ok...

will there be USB 3.0 ports on the Pi2?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Raoul wrote: »
    You don't need a second device to cast something to the raspberry pi. On pi you can install an OS called KODI (previously XBMC) which you can install add ons on which can be used to view lots of things ;).

Important to note though that this is just the board itself. You would need other things to go with it.

And what advantages would it have over a train, which I could also afford?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Would someone be kind enough to post a link on how to get started with these. As in a step by step set of instructions and what you can do with it?

I'm not lazy, just that I don't want to be googling stuff that might turn out to be rubbish and confuse myself further!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Would someone be kind enough to post a link on how to get started with these. As in a step by step set of instructions and what you can do with it?

I'm not lazy, just that I don't want to be googling stuff that might turn out to be rubbish and confuse myself further!

Thanks.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Thanks.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+can+i+do+with+a+raspberry+pi

Seriously, you've essentially asked "What can I do with a computer?"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

i had skygo working on my Pi v1 with xbmc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I may pick one of these up for my Arcade cabinet.
    It'll run Pimame and I'm hoping perform better than the XP PC that's currently in there.

28064212 wrote: »
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+can+i+do+with+a+raspberry+pi

Seriously, you've essentially asked "What can I do with a computer?"

Your response to my question lacks the basic underlying understanding on the question that was asked.

May I suggest this as recommended reading from the university of Leicester,
    http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/ld/resources/presentations/questions.

A simpler alternative is a reddit thread that may require less effort to read and may be more suitable
    http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7zj67/jon_skeet_on_how_to_answer_technical_questions/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

few ideas here you could build on :

https://learn.adafruit.com/category/learn-raspberry-pi

you could hook it up with :

https://ifttt.com/

or similar

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

p15574 wrote: »
    Me too, plays movies over the network, great interface, just downloaded a self-install package so no technical knowledge required, powered from the TV's USB port so switches on and off with that and it works using the existing TV remote control.

What IR receiver do you use to get the TV remote working?

I wonder will Windows 10 on the pi have Media Center? Would be a very cheap solution to have multiple Media Center clients around the house with a single Media Center server. Only thing would be poor deinterlacing of live TV on the pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

What IR receiver do you use to get the TV remote working?
    If you have a modern TV that supports CEC you can use your existing remote. See here for more details. If not and you want to map your existing TV remote to use with this then from what I have read you will need a flirc USB dongle but they are pricey at about £20. Otherwise if you look on eBay you can get a media remote + receiver for less than a fiver.

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/simple-cheap-raspberry-pi-remote-control/

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Etnies wrote: »
    i had skygo working on my Pi v1 with xbmc.

Sky go on its own or streaming from a pc to pi xbmc?
    I thought sky go didn't work on pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It's too early to tell yet if Sky go will work natively on it - it will be running a variant of Windows 10 on ARM, so similar to the version that will be running on Windows Phones later this year. So, technically, yes if Sky releases a Universal App for Sky Go, it should work but we'll need to wait until later this year when Microsoft details what features and functions will be available in the specific version of Windows 10 on this type of device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

There are now quite a number of people on the Kodi Forum who got delivery yesterday and have been testing with the new build of OpenElec and the reports are very good.

If you are looking for a cheap Media streamer then this is definitely the way to go now.

One guy also has the PiPo X7 and he wrote this:
    Horses for courses. OpenElec on the Pi2 massively outperforms Kodi on the Pipo X7 in pretty much every way. The Pipo X7 runs MS Office and other Windows apps. And Netflix HD. But the Pi2 is a game changer.

Kinda sealed it for me as at this stage as I just want a streamer, so I pulled the trigger and got one from the Pi hut (who have put up the price to £32 overnight but you can use the code "social5" to get it back down to £30.40) might get a full PC like the HP Stream Mini or Zotac BI320 later in the year but looking forward to playing with this now!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Another thing that goes in the favour of the Pi is the low power drawdown. It only needs 1-2 watts depending on the load, so to keep this thing constantly running should only cost about €3-4 a year in electricity. One of my friends migrated his media center/file manager from an old power hungry desktop clunker to a Pi and calculated that he was saving about €70-80 in electricity costs in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is that true about the USB 3.0 sticks? All of them read and write at maximum USB 2.0 speed when plugged into a USB 2.0 port? I need to get the parents a new memory stick for recording their tv and its a right pain finding a 2.0 stick with more than 10 MB/sec speed that recording needs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Nice - ordered one there. I can't seem to find any cases that are compatible with it though, it seems to have a different layout; anyone see one?
    All the publicity says it has the same form factor as the old model B, see comment here or description here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Irish Halo wrote: »
    All the publicity says it has the same form factor as the old model B, see comment here or description here.

As the B+.

I don't get the comment about what advantages it has over a train? that was directed at me. :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Raoul wrote: »
    As the B+.

I don't get the comment about what advantages it has over a train? that was directed at me. :confused::confused:
    tumblr_m8pj8wpCFd1qz9bu3o1_500.jpg

It's a Simpsons' quote

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement