Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who will never get into the HOF or be welcome back into the WWE

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Maybe Edge but Christian? I stopped watched wrestling around the time it merged wit WCW so I wouldn't know much of what happened in the last 12 years maybe but I remember Jarett. He was never a big shot? He would of been on a par with the likes of Val Venis. Just a card filler?

Edge went on to become a huge star. Jarrett was a bigger star in WCW or TNA but as I said earlier WWE don't really care about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

This is the same guy who used to hit people with a guitar yeah? Never knew he went to wcw and I used to watch that aswell. Long time ago. Would Kurt Angle get inducted even though he's wrestling for a different crowd now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

This is the same guy who used to hit people with a guitar yeah? Never knew he went to wcw and I used to watch that aswell. Long time ago. Would Kurt Angle get inducted even though he's wrestling for a different crowd now?

he'll be a few years out of TNA before he gets near HOF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Omackeral wrote: »
    Lighten up, it's a joke.

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hilarious.

Jesus, who p*ssed in your cornflakes? I didn't make the Virgil Wrestling Superstar thing up, just explained it to another poster. The photos are a parody of themselves by now, most likely taken at times before a convention has even opened its doors. I like them and so do others. I'm sure Mike Jones probably gets a chuckle from it himself at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thinking about Koko B. Ware getting inducted, and it's true he had an over gimmick but then I think Doink was pretty over in his time as well , and although the original wrestler who portrayed him is unfortunately passed on, the gimmick itself lived on through several other wrestlers , as it was essentially a hood. From the late 80s through mid nineties, the WWE had a roster of really solid and colourful mid-card guys, who each had their own distinct look and gimmick. As cartoony as they could be, they were pretty memorable - guys like IRS, Haku, The Bushwhackers, One Man Gang/Akeem, Demolition, The Model Rick Martel, Tatanka and the Repo Man, to name a handful, are names that would still get a pop if they showed up in a gimmick battle royal or something.

The way I see it, with the WWE HoF, credentials are already starting to go out the window with who gets in. If Drew Carey can be inducted (and I know it's only the 'celebrity wing', but still), and Mr T is allowed take up a sizable portion of the evening with a long rambling acceptance speech, then who should get in starts to become immaterial. It's just whatever works for the show and the WWE's image.

As for Virgil, it would be a lot easier to feel bad for him if there weren't so many stories of him hustling people out of money doing the rounds. Pulling the old 'charge you for the autograph you didn't even ask for' scam etc. Also, I can't imagine he's that down on his luck because A) He appears to be a mainstay on the wrestling convention circuit, which means he's has money to travel around the States and I doubt that's something you can do if you're trying to keep off the bread line. B) He seems like the type of guy who'd always eat store brand cornflakes with water just to save a few quid a week. That, plus the fat WCW contract he would have gotten makes me think he doesn't do the rounds because he desperately needs to as much as he's got a weird personality quirk that constantly seeks aggrandizement from his moderate success in the world of Pro Wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

briany wrote: »
    As for Virgil, it would be a lot easier to feel bad for him if there weren't so many stories of him hustling people out of money doing the rounds. Pulling the old 'charge you for the autograph you didn't even ask for' scam etc. Also, I can't imagine he's that down on his luck because A) He appears to be a mainstay on the wrestling convention circuit, which means he's has money to travel around the States and I doubt that's something you can do if you're trying to keep off the bread line. B) He seems like the type of guy who'd always eat store brand cornflakes with water just to save a few quid a week. That, plus the fat WCW contract he would have gotten makes me think he doesn't do the rounds because he desperately needs to as much as he's got a weird personality quirk that constantly seeks aggrandizement from his moderate success in the world of Pro Wrestling.

My own previous Virgil/Cornflakes post nothwithstanding (Jesus, what did I just type?), this bolded part right here has to be the most random and off the wall thing I've ever read on PW Boards. Amazing!

#VirgilLovesCornflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Jesus. If Jeff Jarett is being talked about as a possible HOF it must really mean F all. People like Al Snow, Ken Shamrock, Gangrell, Edge, Christian, Bob Holly all wrestled around the same time as him and had a much bigger draw than jj

Jarrett is a multi time World champion as well as a whole host of other title reigns. Look at some of the people in the Hall of Fame right now. Then look at Jarrett's title history. He is more deserving than quite a few already in. Like I previously said, he wouldn't be the headliner, but could easily be one of the mid range guys since they seem to have a set number every year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Jeff Jarrett is more than worthy considering his body of work.

Omackeral wrote: »
    My own previous Virgil/Cornflakes post nothwithstanding (Jesus, what did I just type?), this bolded part right here has to be the most random and off the wall thing I've ever read on PW Boards. Amazing!

#VirgilLovesCornflakes

A little hyperbolous, maybe, but I'll take it.
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Jarrett is a multi time World champion as well as a whole host of other title reigns. Look at some of the people in the Hall of Fame right now. Then look at Jarrett's title history. He is more deserving than quite a few already in. Like I previously said, he wouldn't be the headliner, but could easily be one of the mid range guys since they seem to have a set number every year now.

To expand on what's previously been said, the WWE has a famously selective memory when it comes to wrestlers' achievements in other promotions. It depends on what's in it for them to do so. For example, they can't pretend Sting has no history beyond the WWE because they want to get him over, so they have to at least allude to past achievements and noteriety. Jarrett does have a history with WWE but it's not particularly stellar. It's not bad either, but considering that he's spent nearly the last 15 years devoting his time to (help) providing a visible alternative to WWE, I'd have to imagine it puts him way down the running. If he wants to get up the list, he'd have to drink the WWE koolade which I don't see JJ doing, somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Michael "P.S." Hayes while he is alive anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Michael "P.S." Hayes while he is alive anyway.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Why?

It's a WWE rib on him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

It's a WWE rib on him.

Seems very childish given all he has done for the company. There really is something not all well in the head with Vince.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Maybe Edge but Christian? I stopped watched wrestling around the time it merged wit WCW so I wouldn't know much of what happened in the last 12 years maybe but I remember Jarett.

I'm not sure you're in a position to really critique the career of Christian if you've not watched wrestling in over a decade. :confused:

I say that even as somebody who thinks he's seriously over-rated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

Bushwackers HoF 2015....Really... Before Demolition, Bulldogs, Hart foundation...3 minute Warning

WWE Hall of Fame Criteria Checklist

1) Has the "Superstar" ever wrestled or thought about wrestling for WWE?

2) That is all

MvsC3 wrote: »
    Bushwackers HoF 2015....Really... Before Demolition, Bulldogs, Hart foundation...3 minute Warning

WWE Hall of Fame Criteria Checklist

1) Has the "Superstar" ever wrestled or thought about wrestling for WWE?

2) That is all

This is why Koko B. Ware getting in caused a bit of a kerfuffle amongst the IWC, because it was seen as opening the doors to the mid-card guys who never even held a title. Yeah, lots of people remember Koko, but lots of people (including myself) remember the Bushwhackers, too. But the 'whackers have had a long, long career, almost all of it spent outside the WWF/E and I don't begrudge them getting in as a recognition of their efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

briany wrote: »
    This is why Koko B. Ware getting in caused a bit of a kerfuffle amongst the IWC, because it was seen as opening the doors to the mid-card guys who never even held a title. Yeah, lots of people remember Koko, but lots of people (including myself) remember the Bushwhackers, too. But the 'whackers have had a long, long career, almost all of it spent outside the WWF/E and I don't begrudge them getting in as a recognition of their efforts.

I appreciate what your saying but now the bushwhackers are inducted does that mean every 80's 90's tag team should go in regardless of whether or not they held the titles, but go in because people remember them for eg the Powers of Pain, Brain Busters, Colossal Connection, Twin Towers etc

MvsC3 wrote: »
    I appreciate what your saying but now the bushwhackers are inducted does that mean every 80's 90's tag team should go in regardless of whether or not they held the titles, but go in because people remember them for eg the Powers of Pain, Brain Busters, Colossal Connection, Twin Towers etc

I don't think anyone remembers the Brain Busters in the way they remember the Bushwhackers. Brain Busters were a really solid tag team but they had no great gimmick or presence to speak of. They were just a couple of great ring technicians. Wrestling fans would place them higher than the Bushwhackers, understandably, but they don't stick out the way the Bushwhackers did with their daft head licking, stomping antics. Same is true of PoP and CC. Twin Towers were good but I'd say only the Bossman would get in. Akeem's probably a bit 'insensitive' to be inducted and there's the name of the team and how that plays post-9/11.

Advertisement