Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

Marie212 wrote: »
    Good luck Clodagh :) I only sent my application off last week and got an email back from HR that they will keep me posted..

a question for anyone teaching already with SABIS, would you pick kindergarten or primary? I don't think I'd mind which but maybe there's more discipline issues with the kindergarten kids??

Hi Marie, i would pick Kindergarten, there can be discipline problems in any age group but it's less serious in KG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tonto15

Can some please tell me or show what exactly is the form needed for the police (Gardai) report.my application had been going really well till this stage. Have Skype interview and all done. The guards seem lost to form I need an one gaurd gave me a police certificate form to complete which I did..then they sent it back to me saying this is not the form I needed?? I taught it would be as simple as walking into your local station an the guard written a letter but supposedly they are not aloud to do this anymore. I really feel that I am going to miss out on my chance over this as face to face interviews seem to be taking place now

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lynchy09

I had a face to face interview in Dubai two weeks ago. It went good but I have not heard back from them since. Not sure how long they wait before offering the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering a move to UAE for a few years to make a bit of money and actually save it instead of paying ridiculous rent in Dublin!

I hold a BSc. (Hons) in Chemistry and a PhD in Chemistry. I don't have a teaching qualification. What are my chances of getting a good job in Dubai??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Clodagh91

Tonto15 I rang up the Garda vetting section (think it's in Tipp) and asked them what form i needed to fill out and i just sent off the Data protection form. this is what i gave to Sabis and they said all was good. honestly they understand the police clearance forms take time so i don't think this will be too big a factor once you let them know you are in the process.

Justback83, I have a BA in English and Hist, no teaching qualification either. I plan to get my qualification within the next few years though, just going for experience.

Lynchy09 , you're in Dubai at the moment? How you finding it?

• Advertisement

I was only there for a holiday, so done the interview while I was there. I will be moving there in August. I am teaching in China at the moment.

Thanks Clodagh,

So basically I need to get the Data protection form?? Do I get that from the vetting section in Tipp??

Google 'Data Protection access request form', the form should come up, fill it out and and send it off to the address on the form. That's what i did anyway...

I was looking into China before UAE actually, are you enjoying it?

Ya, it's good. Big culture shock! The money is good here too, and there is a very low cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 omahonrm

Tonto15 wrote: »
    Thanks Clodagh,

So basically I need to get the Data protection form?? Do I get that from the vetting section in Tipp??

I sent them a police certificate and that seemed fine. You just tell the guards you need the form which basically states you have no criminal record and tell them it's for applying for a visa. U can do it in the station. I think u need a copy of your birth cert and proof of address but I'm not sure what else. It needs to get stamped by a superintendent but it shud only take a couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ld12345

I just got word that I have an interview Monday next week. Got the same three attachments in the email with the contract and everything. Says I will get 7600 Dirhams a month which works out at just under €1900 a month. Do people mind me asking if they were offered the same rate of pay in their contracts? I have heard that they offer people different rates of pay based on their qualifactions. I have a BA in Geography and History and a TEFL Certificate with some voluntary teaching experience. I was also told to always ask for a higher rate of pay.

I was really excited about the possibility of teaching with SABIS but reading through this forum has made me think I don't want to work for them. Would those who have negative reviews of the company back up those feelings?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks guys. I had employment as reason on garda certificate so they wouldn't issue it so just changed it to Visa. I got called for face to face interview in Dublin next Thursday 12th of March. Also got sent a contract with Salary info,accom info etc. Salary is in AED so presume position is for Dubai or within UAE. Anyone else get called for interview?? Or any person who has done interview before have any tips or advice??

Yes I got offered same Salary. Can you update me next week after your interview and let me know how it went. Yes you read mixed reviews but I know people that have and are stilling doing it and they all say go for it. Especially if your young. What have you got to lose.

Yes same salary for me too, I have a BA as well as iv'e mentioned before and was planning to do a CELTA course if i got the position over the summer.

I've heard you cant demand too much with your wage of you're not a qualified teacher, but who knows.

Also Iv'e read quite a few things now that would put me off going but i feel I'm not a qualifies teacher, it will be an experience what will i have to lose. To be honest, I wouldn't go with Sabis if i was qualified and didn't need the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ld12345

Yeah Im in two minds whether to go with SABIS or go to Vietnam and use my tefl as a few friends of mine have made been and it sounds amazing. I thought the money would be better with SABIS to be honest. I know the rent is paid for and electricity and water but I'd imagine to costs a lot to have a social life over there. Would anybodyh ave any advice on that? I was hoping to save enough for a masters while working there.

I think I'll just bring up my doubts at the interview next week and see what response I get. My interviewer is Neil Smooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

Has anyone outside of Ireland know/heard about interviews for the UK? Getting worried now even though they emailed saying I'd hear very soon yesterday. Would love to move out to the UAE!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 heffo1

I also got the email yesterday, interview next Tuesday in Dublin and same money offered!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 omahonrm

Has anyone outside of Ireland know/heard about interviews for the UK? Getting worried now even though they emailed saying I'd hear very soon yesterday. Would love to move out to the UAE!

I'm outside of Ireland, in the u.s at the moment though not the u.k but I am still waiting (anxiously) to hear back from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 zb2311

Hi everyone! Firstly I'm new to this so bare with me!
    I was wondering how long I have to wait till I'm given a decision of whether or not they want to offer me a position. I live in the UK and sent off all my documents and references weeks ago and still haven't heard anything other than to 'keep posted'. Feeling so anxious waiting for some news :( haha

zb2311 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Firstly I'm new to this so bare with me!
    I was wondering how long I have to wait till I'm given a decision of whether or not they want to offer me a position. I live in the UK and sent off all my documents and references weeks ago and still haven't heard anything other than to 'keep posted'. Feeling so anxious waiting for some news :( haha

Hey... Well I've been waiting since before Christmas...! But after neumerous 'keep posted' 'we'll be in touch very soon' emails I'm pretty sure will hear soon as it seems people are starting to get offers. I'm UK too so looks like they are dealing with Ireland first ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 zb2311

Hey... Well I've been waiting since before Christmas...! But after neumerous 'keep posted' 'we'll be in touch very soon' emails I'm pretty sure will hear soon as it seems people are starting to get offers. I'm UK too so looks like they are dealing with Ireland first ☺️

Aww thank you so much for replying so quickly! And yeah it does seem so, it's been really long since I initially applied and I know I don't have half of the qualifications that some of the peeps on here have (nearly finished undergrad psychology degree) so I'm starting to panic lol. Hope we hear soon! And good luck x

zb2311 wrote: »
    Aww thank you so much for replying so quickly! And yeah it does seem so, it's been really long since I initially applied and I know I don't have half of the qualifications that some of the peeps on here have (nearly finished undergrad psychology degree) so I'm starting to panic lol. Hope we hear soon! And good luck x

No worries - anything to take me away from my Masters studies :/ yeah I think most people will just have an undergrad. I won't have my masters cert until after November since that's when graduation is - so I don't think they'll take that into account. Good luck and I'll let you know if I hear anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 loretta1224

Hi has any one heard of Interviews in Limerick? I haven't heard anything yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 emily17

Hi everyone,

I've also got a face to face interview this Tuesday with Neil Smooker. I'm still in two minds whether to take the job or not if my interview is successful. I'm hoping to be either offered a job in Abu Dhabi or Dubai because I'll be travelling alone and I feel there's a lot more info online about these areas more than others! The difference in culture is making me quite indecisive!! My pay is also the same as the other contracts as I've just a BA hons. I was also wondering does anyone know how long we will have before we have to decide to sign the contract or not? Any tips for the interview this week would be great too!

Thank you in advance

I did the year with them because as I mentioned I did really enjoy life over there. At times it felt totally unbearable though and I just wanted to leave. The school I was in had a huge dropout rate. Teachers will leave in the middle of the night and will be replaced in a matter of days. It's not a happy environment to be in. I'm going back to work in the emirates this year in a proper international school so I would recommend looking for decent schools as the life over there is really great. If you look at their Facebook page you will notice how negative comments wiill be deleted in a matter of minutes and they recruit somewhat satisfied employees to talk about how wonderful experiences with them. It's total bull. I remember reading negative comments on this forum before I went and I thought they were just exaggerated.. But turns out they were totally accurate!!

I am still considering going with SABIS as I have no teaching qualifications or much experience in schools. What was the penalty for the teachers who left throughout the year? I'm quite worried about that part as it's breaking the contract! Thank you for your advice and help!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 loretta1224

emily17 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've also got a face to face interview this Tuesday with Neil Smooker. I'm still in two minds whether to take the job or not if my interview is successful. I'm hoping to be either offered a job in Abu Dhabi or Dubai because I'll be travelling alone and I feel there's a lot more info online about these areas more than others! The difference in culture is making me quite indecisive!! My pay is also the same as the other contracts as I've just a BA hons. I was also wondering does anyone know how long we will have before we have to decide to sign the contract or not? Any tips for the interview this week would be great too!

Thank you in advance

Hi is your interview in Dublin or limerick? They told me mid March two weeks ago for limerick but have heard nothing. I am in the same boat as you hoping for uae and travelling alone if offered the job 😊

Hi is your interview in Dublin or limerick? They told me mid March two weeks ago for limerick but have heard nothing. I am in the same boat as you hoping for uae and travelling alone if offered the job 😊

Hi, my interview is in Dublin! I am not sure when the limerick ones would be but I'm presuming they hold the Dublin ones first if you haven't got a date yet. Are you at all undecided about accepting the job if you are offered one in UAE? Reading previous posts is making me reconsider a lot as there seems to be a lot of negativity about SABIS.

Hi, my interview is in Dublin! I am not sure when the limerick ones would be but I'm presuming they hold the Dublin ones first if you haven't got a date yet. Are you at all undecided about accepting the job if you are offered one in UAE? Reading previous posts is making me reconsider a lot as there seems to be a lot of negativity about SABIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kagey15

Is there interviews in Limerick?... I'm from Limerick but have my interview is in Dublin tommorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

I just received an email from Teachanywhere stating that my qualifications and experience are not relevant for any of the positions they have. Is this because I don't have a HDip in Education? I have a BSc. and PhD...

Advertisement