Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

diy avc

• 13-11-2014 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

hi all,

changed my job from finance to teaching a few years back and began working full time since 2008 (i had some subbing done in 2006/7 before i went travelling for the year). i've been in the same primary school since then and now i'm 35 i'm looking into starting an avc pension. i already have an nsp to make up for the 3 and a bit years of full pension i'm missing since joining the job late.

so i'm wondering if an avc is the way to go, just to bump up the money coming in when i retire. i don't want to deal with cornmarket so i'm looking into doing the avc myself. has anyone done this and if so is it straightforward enough??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

bungaro79 wrote: »
    hi all,

changed my job from finance to teaching a few years back and began working full time since 2008 (i had some subbing done in 2006/7 before i went travelling for the year). i've been in the same primary school since then and now i'm 35 i'm looking into starting an avc pension. i already have an nsp to make up for the 3 and a bit years of full pension i'm missing since joining the job late.

so i'm wondering if an avc is the way to go, just to bump up the money coming in when i retire. i don't want to deal with cornmarket so i'm looking into doing the avc myself. has anyone done this and if so is it straightforward enough??

The big advantage of going through cornmarket is the deduction at source means the tax is all sorted for you. If you go diy you may have to go through the revenue commissioners to claim relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

i don't mind going through revenue joe, won't be using cornmarket

• Registered Users Posts: 13,064 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The big advantage of going through cornmarket is the deduction at source means the tax is all sorted for you. If you go diy you may have to go through the revenue commissioners to claim relief.

This is not a big advantage.

Sorting out the tax relief is simple.

The massive fees charged by Cornmarket are a problem.

One fee is a 450 consultancy fee.

See here:
    http://www.cornmarket.ie/product/The-teachers-AVC-scheme

You may spend 30 mins - 1 hour to deal with tax relief.

Cornmarket will charge lots..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jackred

I bought an execution only AVC PRSA and getting the tax back is no problem. However, I'm wondering how I connect up my AVC to my civil service pension scheme? I see people here seem to know their way around, so any ideas.

Connect up? In what sense?

An AVC is designed as an addition to an occupational scheme. They are already connected.

The benefits you may get from the AVC are linked to the work pension benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jackred

Geuze wrote: »
    Connect up? In what sense?

An AVC is designed as an addition to an occupational scheme. They are already connected.

The benefits you may get from the AVC are linked to the work pension benefits.

The AVC arrangement in the civil service is union-sponsored and done by Cornmarket. My execution only PRSA AVC is with Zurich and I don't know how to "pay it into" the civil service scheme.

You don't "pay it into" the civil service scheme.

At retirement, you will draw benefits from the AVC, separate from the monthly work pension.

Example: some people convert their AVC fund into an ARF and draw a monthy income.

Advertisement