Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

stuchyg wrote: »
    Does Gunni train in Dublin if he is working with McGregor

Hes over a bit alright. Most his time is split between Iceland & New York

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

stuchyg wrote: »
    Does Gunni train in Dublin if he is working with McGregor

Gunni trained under John for a long time, up to brown belt I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

Joe Hart wrote: »
    I'm more of a K1 fan. I think the striking in MMA is fairly tame and seems to be largely for show. I get instantly bored when it goes to ground.

So you just watch K1 ? You're missing a lot of good kickboxing bouts in that case. Glory and Semmy is where it's at chap.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Small piece on the back of the sports section in the Irish Times today about Fallon Fox & Mitrione's outburst. No sign of anything 'Notorious' related though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Small piece on the back of the sports section in the Irish Times today about Fallon Fox & Mitrione's outburst. No sign of anything 'Notorious' related though..

Sure why would they put anything positive in there.. :rolleyes::p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

Norman Parke pulled from the card this Saturday due to an injury to Jon Tuck.

Too late for replacement to be found. Disaster for Norman this close to the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jon Jones

“People know that Chael Sonnen has done steroids throughout his whole career and that’s probably why his testosterone is low now. I don’t think that is the heart or the attitude of a champion, so that’s what I meant when I said he lacks champion’s soul.”

Strong claims from the Champ!

WHOA!

Josh Rosenthal had plaaded guilty after $6m worth of Cannabis plants were found on his property. He was looking at 10 years, with a plea deal he'll get approx 3 years.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/veteran-mma-referee-josh-rosenthal-cops-plea-awaits-sentencing-in-marijuana-case

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

MrStuffins wrote: »
    WHOA!

Josh Rosenthal had plaaded guilty after $6m worth of Cannabis plants were found on his property. He was looking at 10 years, with a plea deal he'll get approx 3 years.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/veteran-mma-referee-josh-rosenthal-cops-plea-awaits-sentencing-in-marijuana-case

WTF!! That's just crazy

That'll stop him from reffing UFC events surely??

EDIT : I'm a dumbass, he's gonna be inside, of course he can't ref

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Does this mean we'll be seeing more of Kim Winslow? Why Josh why?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Its a shame about Josh, hopefully it will mean we will see Big John back in Vegas.

p to the e wrote: »

die, just go and die somewhere for even suggesting that!

scudzilla wrote: »
    WTF!! That's just crazy

That'll stop him from reffing UFC events surely??

EDIT : I'm a dumbass, he's gonna be inside, of course he can't ref
    p to the e wrote: »

Josh reffing via Skype from the clink would still be infinitely better than Winslow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Josh reffing via Skype from the clink would still be infinitely better than Winslow!

Joshs cell buddy reffing by kites would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Its a shame Josh is the first ref to be locked up. I was surprised Winslow wasn't arrested for attempted murder on Jan Finney

Not really UFC related but Vladimir "The Janitor" Matyushenko signs with Bellator. The guy is 42 and nearly 8 months older than Hendo. It was a pity he was let go as he still has some serious skills and has only lost to top class competition.

Article here:
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/436779/The-Janitor-ready-to-sweep-Bellator-light-heavyweight-division/

At 42 years old, Vladimir Matyushenko has seen it all. From earning three submission victories in one night, to taking down opponents like Antônio “Little Nog” Nogueira, Travis Wiuff, Pedro Rizzo and Jason Lambert. Armed with one of the best wrestling backgrounds in the sport, “The Janitor” has signed with Bellator MMA, and will debut soon live on Spike TV.

“Vladimir is a fighter I’ve watched for years. He’s an exciting fighter with an incredible wrestling background and a great pedigree in our sport. When the opportunity presented itself and we had the chance to have him join the Bellator family it was a very easy decision to make,” Bellator Chairman & CEO Bjorn Rebney said. “With our Champion Attila Vegh sitting at the top of the mountain right now, and with guys like Emanuel Newton, Mikhail Zayats and King Mo coming on strong, the light heavyweight division for Bellator continues to evolve and Vladimir should fit in perfectly to that mix.”

“Bellator is one of the biggest promotions in the world, and to be associated with them is an honor,” Matyushenko said. “I am optimistic and excited to work with Bellator. The amount of respect and honor I felt from Bjorn and the entire Bellator team was tremendous, and getting into the Bellator cage and cementing my legacy as a Bellator World Champion is the only thing on my mind.”

Matyushenko will make his promotional debut live on Spike in a non-tournament fight that will be announced shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

GSP on Joe Rogan Experience Tuesday or Wednesday. This could be amazing, or it could be typical media GSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Listening to a lot of Joe Rogan, funny bastard. His interview with Dana was brilliant.

Steve O wrote: »
    Listening to a lot of Joe Rogan, funny bastard. His interview with Dana was brilliant.

Have to say one of the best ones I've ever watched was this one.
    Link Tim Ferriss knows his ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

GSP one is up now. Probably the shortest JRE ever at 1,13. 8 minutes in (including ads) and Joe is talking about aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

anyone got a way to watch the 159 countdown show online? youtube one is blocked by your location

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Driving home from work this morning, had Newstalk on, they had a 1hr special on Aisling Daley at 7am this morning.

Was recorded in the lead up to her fight wit Rosi Sexton in June.

Great listen, had John Kavanagh and Connor on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Today I was hungover and bored, so I decided to photoshop Nicolas Cage's face onto Mark Hunt:

251445.jpg

Today........you became a God!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The UFC are going to be pushing for a couple of rule changes this year.
    They'll be asking for a change to the unified rules in relation to the procedure regarding eye-pokes, and also a change in what exactly defines a grounded opponent.

The article is long enough so ill just post the link, but the jist of it is that they want only the doctor to make the call on an eye-poke rather than leaving it down to the ref. This will give a fighter an extra couple of minutes to recover from a poke and get their vision back, (they're not actually entitled to five minutes like when there's a low blow).
    They also want the wording changed on exactly what constitutes a grounded opponent. They want to get rid of the way fighters can basically just put a finger on the mat and they're considered grounded.

2 good rule changes in my opinion, and I hope they get implemented.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/ufcs-marc-ratner-to-request-changes-to-unified-rules-at-abcs-summer-convention

Cheick Kongo has left the UFC. Some are saying he wanted to leave, Some are saying he'd fought the last fight on his contract and UFC didn't want him back.

it's possible that both are right.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

He was offered a new 4 fight extension before the Nelson fight but turned it down

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/5/1/4290848/ufc-parts-ways-with-cheick-kongo

Cant imagine where he will go now, Bellator would be good but they don't seem too keen on ex-UFC fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

WSOF would probably be a good bet. They're slowly building a credible brand full of good names (mostly ex-UFC).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Assuming his last contract was also 4 fights, then he signed it on a 3 fight unbeaten streak. For a fighter of his calibre $70k basic and presumably the same as a win bonus is pretty solid.

This time he's 2-2 in his last 4 with both wins being dull decisions and both losses being brutal KOs. I suspect that the new contract the UFC allegedly offered him prior to his last fight was for half what he currently earns and he decided to play hardball and hope that a good result against Roy would prompt a better offer.

Oops...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement