Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean Moncrieff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Absolutely brilliant show today, all the guests were top class, especially enjoyed the guy with tourettes and of course movies and booze.
    Best broadcaster in the biz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Aglomerado wrote: »
    He's excellent. I've been a fan of Sean since "The End" back in 1994-1996. Definitely my favourite show on Newstalk. :)

yeah good show that - remember Septic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Morrigin

I won tickets to the Movies and Booze show last week - it was absolutely brilliant - and it's not everyday you get to have a smoke with Sean Moncrieff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

so Sean has just tweeted..

"Will also be making an announcement about the future of the programme at some point today..."

Anyone know what that's about?? Is he on the move as well? Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 12 macai

yeah good show that - remember Septic :D

Is he possibly moving to mornings to go up against tubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ste88m

Nope, he's just announced that the show will now start at 13:30 so it'll be a 3 hour long show.

I wonder are they planning on scrapping lunchtime completely and increasing Tom Dunne 'til 13:30?!

Making the most of their most valuable asset. Good move imo.

Diarmud Gavin, the celebrity garden designer economist is on.
    Could we have more tears?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I've always loved his show but one thing annoys me about it.

Listening to the late night (here's a slice of Moncrief from yesterday) repeat at the moment,
    it feels like I'm listening to an Irish presenter on a British radio station.

His last 3 interviewees were all British and each of them have a book to flog.
    Most of the guests he interviews seem to be people with British or American accents plugging their books or websites.

Nothing against the Brits and Yanks by the way, but for a nation of writers and assorted headcases,
    surely there are plenty Irish people he could talk to.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Lapin wrote: »
    I've always loved his show but one thing annoys me about it.

Listening to the late night (here's a slice of Moncrief from yesterday) repeat at the moment,
    it feels like I'm listening to an Irish presenter on a British radio station.

His last 3 interviewees were all British and each of them have a book to flog.
    Most of the guests he interviews seem to be people with British or American accents plugging their books or websites.

Nothing against the Brits and Yanks by the way, but for a nation of writers and assorted headcases,
    surely there are plenty Irish people he could talk to.:confused:

Love the show. But can be a bit like listening to 5Live at times.

Having said that, I think Moncreiff's genius is that he can bridge the Irish/English divide: he can chime with his English contributors, while at the same time tickling their pomposity - taking the p**s out of them - , but in a nice way, and usually to the enjoyment of both parties.

However, the best bits are home-grown: Moozies and Booves, Paolo and the best way to cook spaghetti(again), Kelleher's obits, Annette's laugh, ColeMAN telling Irish women how to rear children.... and all the random text stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Have to say Seán has a wacky little show going here. He's a likeable fella, too - not too "in your face" and not too scared to say something silly (in a nice way).

But today he surpassed himself. He was interviewing this woman whose first name was Maureen, who is a psychologist or something, about happiness. She was brilliant. It was a real eye-opener. I haven't been as glued to the raidió in a long time. He should have her on much more frequently. Perhaps even a psychology interview once a week about topics that are relevant to us all?

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/moncrieff/podcasts/

I really enjoy the pieces with the guy from the new scientist, always funny little facts. A consistently good and fresh show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i wish they got rid of the 'some good things to do tonight' or just call it what it is, ie "what's on telly later"
    it's the only bit of an excellent show that bugs me!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

i wish they got rid of the 'some good things to do tonight' or just call it what it is, ie "what's on telly later"
    it's the only bit of an excellent show that bugs me!

Ah but that's the nit-pick. Always good to have an obvious one otherwise one would be left picking at other stuff.

I agree in a way but think to keep it as it's its only flaw. And that ain't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nmoran

Another vote for Sean here..

Today he was interviewing a guy who was explaining how he once expected to go the US for a week but ended up staying for 6 months. Sean's response 'You must have had to buy new underpants'

So witty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Anyone hear the lad on yesterday talking about how to become an internet hit?

Sean seemed a little puzzled as to why he couldnt answer his question and your man waffling forever about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

did you hear the monkey fella today. bizare individual

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sean Moncrief.....the only genuine replacement for Gerry Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

delaad wrote: »
    Love the show. But can be a bit like listening to 5Live at times.

Having said that, I think Moncreiff's genius is that he can bridge the Irish/English divide: he can chime with his English contributors, while at the same time tickling their pomposity - taking the p**s out of them - , but in a nice way, and usually to the enjoyment of both parties.

However, the best bits are home-grown: Moozies and Booves, Paolo and the best way to cook spaghetti(again), Kelleher's obits, Annette's laugh, ColeMAN telling Irish women how to rear children.... and all the random text stuff.

Maybe because he was born in London ???;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

delaad wrote: »
    Annette's laugh

Always reminds me of this...

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    did you hear the monkey fella today. bizare individual

Yeah, from that wacky subject he goes on to discuss young girls premature periods with some proffesor. He asks all the right questions in a thoughtful and considered way. I don't think a female presenter could have done it better.
    Not sure who to credit, Moncrieff or his research team, but he delivers every time.

Sean Moncrief.....the only genuine replacement for Gerry Ryan

He's much more talented than Ryan.

the best interview ever was with the landlady of a pub somewhere in southwest england, whose pub was 'haunted.' although she never saw the ghost or anything being done by the ghost, her punters were having their pints refilled. it was excellent listening to sean trying not to burst his hole laughing at her and letting her go on believing that the place was haunted!

no other presenter on the radio could tell a girl called tamara melly that she has a weird name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Working abroad at the moment. The Sean Moncrieff podcasts are keeping me sane during my working day. He is a real gem of Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Sigh. Sean's currently interviewing YET another American author about their latest book, this time one about Disney's "Micky Mouse Club", which is really not that well known here, and therefore a bit of a non-item, I'm afraid. Yawn.

The show is usually good though, except for all the ad breaks (lots more than RTE!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

mambo wrote: »
    Sigh. Sean's currently interviewing YET another American author about their latest book................

Fast forward 20 minutes, he's now interviewing yet another North American author about witchcraft.
    Canadian this time.

I've said it before. Great show, but far too many interviews with Americans and British folks flogging their books or plugging their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Funny that they have cameras in the newstalk studio now. Very interesting to see the presenters when they are talking to guests on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Funny that they have cameras in the newstalk studio now. Very interesting to see the presenters when they are talking to guests on the phone.
    how can we see them? where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

casio4 wrote: »
    how can we see them? where?

http://media.newstalk.ie/listen_live/popup

Click on "Video".

Advertisement