Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kiss 103.2

• 30-03-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭

Is it really 20 years since the Dublin super pirate, Kiss FM 103.2, appeared on the airwaves ?

For what its worth heres my own memories of Kiss - (some details may need correction !)

I remember the rumours flying around that a high powered station was about to appear and adopt a Hot Hits format - the format that had been so successful for Sunshine 101 and to a lesser extent at Q102 but had flopped when adapted by Capital 104.

Then Kevin Branigan appeared on the Coast FM anorak hour and confirmed that Kiss was about to launch - a (very) good site had been acquired, tower had been constructed and a professional transmitter had been installed.

Friday March 11th 1994 - Kiss launches with the Pointer Sistuers I'm so excited - and then back to back Hot Hits with a JamJingles Kiis FM package to boot.

The format proved very popular , professional DJs and a properly formatted station, alas it was too popular.

In house audience surveys by 104 showed significant audiences for Kiss, with local elections looming politicians were given airtime on 104 to denounce the pirates, rumours that Kiss had approached 104s advertisers directly intensified the pressure.

At the beginning of May Kisses UHF link was jammed with Irish folk music appearing on 103.2, a switch to a FM link only gave short respite as the jammer soon appeared on FM,DLR106 were probably surprised to find themselves on 103.2 across the city on a Wednesday evening !
    As invariably happens the jammer jams themselves and by the Thursday the jamming has stopped.

By Saturday 7th the KISS site has been raided, antenna rendered unuseable and Kiss now have to broadcast from their studios on the White hall road, an area infamously difficult to get a signal out of.

For many this is were the Kiss story ends, I was fortunate enough to be able to receive Kiss clearly, an attempt to get back on air from the mountains was thwarted by comreg,while a raid on the studio site in September had been a body blow and ultimately Kiss closed at 7pm on Friday November 11th.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

20 years eh. Kevin has taken down the Kiss photos and the site unfortunately they were hosted on @ radio.ie. Some great ones of the raid etc.

Advertisement