Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halfords install car speakers

Options
  • 12-12-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm wanting to get rear speakers installed in an '99 Corolla which didn't have rear speakers from the factory. I see there is placeholders to fit 10cm speakers alright.

I'm just wondering, if there is any wiring required will Halfords do that installation or if not, is there anywhere else that could do the fitting?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Wouldn't be getting halfords anyway. Google auto electricians in your local area

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not terribly difficult to be fair. Have a go.

Your original radio may not have outputs for the rear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

colm_mcm wrote: »

Your original radio may not have outputs for the rear though.

This is of some importance. If your current stereo has a fader control then you should be OK. If it doesn't then there may be an issue with impedance which can potentially damage the amplifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Don't use Halfords for audio install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Don't use Halfords for audio install

or pretty much anything else.

• Advertisement

They have a good range of "powered by fairy dust" stickers to be fair

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Have a go yourself! It's something to do on a Sunday afternoon and it sounds better if you've done the install yourself.
    I've always done my own installs and I've hardly ever blown anything up. ;) Seriously, you need to be careful, don't have anything live or it will go Fritz!
    Unplug power or remove fuse. If you do that, make sure you have the radio code.
    Be careful removing bits of trim, the temptation is to yank at it, but it may never go back. And make sure you remember where all the bits and screws go, or you'll have too much stuff left over.

99 Corolla is from a time before radio codes :D

What stereo do you have OP, Is it the original tape deck?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

It's a pioneer stereo I put in myself so no radio codes. I just imagine it's complex enough to run cables to the rear if that is what is needed. Why would so many of you be against halfords? Would they make a balls of it? I only thought of halfords because it's the only place I can think of on my area.

Basically all you're doing is running the cables down the side of the back seat and tucking it under the carpets/trim, under the dash and behind the glovebox and up behind the radio. 2 hours tops.
    The wiring might even be there already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Halfords don't install speakers afaik, I don't think they'd be taking off panels and installing wires either.

I wouldn't let them near a job like that anyway tbh.

crosstownk wrote: »
    This is of some importance. If your current stereo has a fader control then you should be OK. If it doesn't then there may be an issue with impedance which can potentially damage the amplifier.

If the radio has only 2 speaker connectors and 4 speakers will be connected, they would have to be connected in series rather than in parallel to avoid blowing the amp up.
    You will have to make a few quick calculations to make sure you're not using a lower impedence than the radio is set up for. Higher is fine. Check this guide:
    http://www.regiscoyne.com/tech/spk_cab_wiring/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If the radio has only 2 speaker connectors and 4 speakers will be connected, they would have to be connected in series rather than in parallel to avoid blowing the amp up.
    You will have to make a few quick calculations to make sure you're not using a lower impedence than the radio is set up for. Higher is fine. Check this guide:
    http://www.regiscoyne.com/tech/spk_cab_wiring/
    I think the op has a pioneer head unit fitted so should be grand in that regard.

One thing id advise them to do though(unless using an external amp) is to buy a pair of speakers with a relatively low watt rms rating, say no more than 45 watt as most head units are around 18-25 watt rms. Any more and the sound quality will suffer Imo.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I think the op has a pioneer head unit fitted so should be grand in that regard.

One thing id advise them to do though(unless using an external amp) is to buy a pair of speakers with a relatively low watt rms rating, say no more than 45 watt as most head units are around 18-25 watt rms. Any more and the sound quality will suffer Imo.

Well, if the speakers are higher rated than the stereo, not a big problem, it's the other way round that's not good.
    But of course moar power is always better!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

Cheers for the feedback. I may look to see is there anywhere else local.

Advertisement