Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Tribute To Brontosaurus

• 18-03-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

To put it simply, beautiful.
    “Always Brontosaurus to me”

You were my favorite sauropod
    my vegetarian with heavy plod
    and then I found out something odd
    you disappeared and I am left aloooooone…

Who’s this apatosaurus guy?
    he’s got those same thunder thighs
    and that long neck that reached the skyyyy
    but he’s not YOUUUUUU….

CHORUS!
    For you’re always Brontosaurus to meeee
    the greatest dino that there will ever beee
    You’re the only Sauropod that I neeeeeeed
    brontosaurus, always Bronty to meeeee

brontosaurusxkcd.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Unless it is an official piece of work I am happy to keep on using the name Brontosaurus, apart from T.Rex it was mine and many others first dinosaur, all the little plastic toys were of those two.

Brontosaurus Lives..... and don't you forget it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I always knew the animal as Apatosaurus, and Brontosaurus as the old name... but I agree that Brontosaurus is better...

That reminds me, I recently found out that they want to re-name Pteranodon sternbergi. This wouldn´t be so terrible if the new name wasn´t so lame; Geosternbergia sternbergi. Basically meaning "Sternberg's Earth Sternberg"! What kind of joke is that? :S

Also, I'm sick of paleontologists finding a new, awesome creature, and putting no effort in finding an awesome name for it; they come up with something lame, usually after the place where it was found. For example, Nigersaurus because it was found in Niger. The fact that the creature looks like a cross between a brontosaur and a vaccuum cleaner with a strange squared skull and over a hundred teeth doesn´t seem to matter much to them. Wouldn´t that be enough to inspire a better name? What about Morsodocus monstrosus, "monstrous biting beam" (a tribute to Diplodocus at the same time), or something like that?
    They should keep in mind that if the dino they find is awesome enough, it will probably be in a movie one day! Give it a good name! :cool:

Yeah... sorry bout the rant...

By the way, I've realized that Bob Bakker keeps using the word brontosaur, only he uses it for all sauropods (I think), as a common name. And I believe Peter Jackson's King Kong movie had the big fake-looking sauropods be called Brontosaurus... see, we're not the only ones who miss the name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Also, I'm sick of paleontologists finding a new, awesome creature, and putting no effort in finding an awesome name for it; they come up with something lame, usually after the place where it was found. For example, Nigersaurus because it was found in Niger. The fact that the creature looks like a cross between a brontosaur and a vaccuum cleaner with a strange squared skull and over a hundred teeth doesn´t seem to matter much to them. Wouldn´t that be enough to inspire a better name? What about Morsodocus monstrosus, "monstrous biting beam" (a tribute to Diplodocus at the same time), or something like that?
    They should keep in mind that if the dino they find is awesome enough, it will probably be in a movie one day! Give it a good name! :cool:

You sir would like our thread on badly named dinosaurs.
    In the defense of Nigersaurus, it was named in 1976. The head was not found (as often happens with sauropods) so they could not have known how mad it would look.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    You sir would like our thread on badly named dinosaurs.
    In the defense of Nigersaurus, it was named in 1976. The head was not found (as often happens with sauropods) so they could not have known how mad it would look.

Now, I didn´t know that. Thanks a lot for the info! :> Still, a dinosaur that crazy needs a more original name. Too bad the name can´t be changed now.
    I'm checking the bad name thread now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Besides Brontoburgers look better on the menu in Bedrock....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Besides Brontoburgers look better on the menu in Bedrock....

Good point 'A pat o' burger' does not sound very appetizing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Galvasean wrote: »
    Good point 'A pat o' burger' does not sound very appetizing...

OMG I feel sick now:D

Advertisement