Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Vehicles that don't require a driving license

• 12-12-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have any idea what electriic vehicles you can drive without a license in this country?
    Reason i ask: flatmate lost his license for 3 years today for being drunk in charge of a vehicle, ie. He was in the driver seat asleep with the engine running for warmth.
    I feel very sorry for him, he's struggling to find work as is and relies on his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Get him a push bike, glad to hear theres a clown off the road for 3 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

None afaik OP

There are no motorised vehicles that you can drive on a public road which do not require a licence. At best he can get an electric bike, but the motor is limited to 25km/h, so he'd be better off just getting a normal bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

dave1982 wrote: »

You do realise that you could get done for drink driving by just going to you car whilst under the influence in order to get something.

This man had the engine running for heat, I dont see any harm in that. Not as if he was going to kill anybody by doing that.

So he was no clown, you in-fact are the clown for being so inconsiderate.
    People make mistakes, they don't need to be lectured about it over the net.

Does anybody have any idea what electriic vehicles you can drive without a license in this country?
    Reason i ask: flatmate lost his license for 3 years today for being drunk in charge of a vehicle, ie. He was in the driver seat asleep with the engine running for warmth.
    I feel very sorry for him, he's struggling to find work as is and relies on his car.

2011-10-19133745.jpg

She'll do 40 mph, but my other one will do 52 mph, thicker tyres, 8 inch disk, regen for extra breaking.

However If your friend can sit in a car over the limit with the engine on, then he shouldn't get something like this!

Range depends on speed at 40 mph you will use about 50 watt hrs per mile, a 60 volt 10 ah battery has about 600 watt hrs of capacity so 600 /50 =12 miles at 40 mph.

At about 20-25 you will get 30-35 watt hrs per mile /600 =20 miles.

A 60 volt 20 ah battery doubles the range etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

seamus wrote: »
    There are no motorised vehicles that you can drive on a public road which do not require a licence. At best he can get an electric bike, but the motor is limited to 25km/h, so he'd be better off just getting a normal bike.

The criteria for not needing a licence for electric bike is it must be assisted as against powered by electric.

aujopimur wrote: »
    The criteria for not needing a licence for electric bike is it must be assisted as against powered by electric.
    Correct. The assistance must also cut out when the person stops pedalling or when the bike goes over 25km/h.

The bike posted above allegedly rated at 60km/h would be classed as a motorcycle and require a motorcycle licence.

aujopimur wrote: »

Rules are about to be changed regarding leccy bikes regarding power which will allow unlimited watts, because the current 250 watts wouldn't pull great up a steep hill. but the same other limits of 25kph that's the nanny e.u for ye.

Leccy bikes, chain drive is best, esp for low power as you can use the gears and you won't burn the motor up a steep hill as easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

dave1982 wrote: »

Thanks for the valuable input! It's clear that you know all the ins and outs of this case so your opinion really matters.

It was electric scooters i was thinking of, saw one with pedals that needed no license.

seamus wrote: »
    Correct. The assistance must also cut out when the person stops pedalling or when the bike goes over 25km/h.

The bike posted above allegedly rated at 60km/h would be classed as a motorcycle and require a motorcycle licence.

yeah but who really cares ?

I've not had any issues yet and the guards are not bothered because I don't act an idiot, besides how are they going to tell what watts I'm puming ?

yeah but who really cares ?

I've not had any issues yet and the guards are not bothered because I don't act an idiot, besides how are they going to tell what watts I'm puming ?
    A man with a 3 year ban would not be in a happy place if a Garda decided that he looked a bit suspicious doing 60km/h down the N4 without pedalling.

There would only be one description for someone who decided to take that risk on the basis that "shure nobody cares".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks for the valuable input! It's clear that you know all the ins and outs of this case so your opinion really matters.
    It was electric scooters i was thinking of, saw one with pedals that needed no license.

Thanks for the valuable input! It's clear that you know all the ins and outs of this case so your opinion really matters using a keyboard........... :rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Mad_Lad wrote: »
    However If your friend can sit in a car over the limit with the engine on, then he shouldn't get something like this!

Curious as to why you think this? Truth is he's never been nor will be a drink driver, he sat into the car because he had no key for the house and was waiting for friends to get back to let him in.

Thanks for the info, looks like a really nice machine you have there. What kind of price are they?

galwaytt wrote: »

Thanks for the valuable input! It's clear that you know all the ins and outs of this case so your opinion really matters using a keyboard........... :rolleyes:

If someone wants to litter my thread with unhelpful comments then i think i'm right to be sarcastic in response to them.

Curious as to why you think this? Truth is he's never been nor will be a drink driver, he sat into the car because he had no key for the house and was waiting for friends to get back to let him in.

Thanks for the info, looks like a really nice machine you have there. What kind of price are they?

They are expensive, and you can't buy them on the Island, you have to learn how to put it all together. And you can't just ride a bike at that speed, I started off at 20 mph and progressed to higher power as I got experience.

20 mph would be a good speed and much safer, I wouldn't ride my bike in town at that speed because I'll end up on my arse because no one expects you to be doing more than bike speeds, but I open it up on the main road.

It's a shame we are governed by Muppets that make up silly rules.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

2011-10-19133745.jpg

She'll do 40 mph, but my other one will do 52 mph, thicker tyres, 8 inch disk, regen for extra breaking.

Range depends on speed at 40 mph you will use about 50 watt hrs per mile, a 60 volt 10 ah battery has about 600 watt hrs of capacity so 600 /50 =12 miles at 40 mph.

At about 20-25 you will get 30-35 watt hrs per mile /600 =20 miles.

A 60 volt 20 ah battery doubles the range etc etc.

Are they legal on the M50? ;)

Only in the left lane hahahaha ;)

They are expensive, and you can't buy them on the Island, you have to learn how to put it all together. And you can't just ride a bike at that speed, I started off at 20 mph and progressed to higher power as I got experience.

20 mph would be a good speed and much safer, I wouldn't ride my bike in town at that speed because I'll end up on my arse because no one expects you to be doing more than bike speeds, but I open it up on the main road.

It's a shame we are governed by Muppets that make up silly rules.

I was thinking that it would be scary enough doing that kind of speed on what is essentially a push bike! I've a motorbike myself and can imagine what it would be like to do that speed on those wheels.
    Unfortunately we live out the country in the commuter belt and his work has him all over the place so it seems he's just screwed.
    My parents spend a lot of time in france and my dad told me about a little electric car he'd seen. Essentially a city car but required no tax, insurance or license as i recall. Nothing like that here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

By any chance is this person living in Celbridge?

I was thinking that it would be scary enough doing that kind of speed on what is essentially a push bike! I've a motorbike myself and can imagine what it would be like to do that speed on those wheels.
    Unfortunately we live out the country in the commuter belt and his work has him all over the place so it seems he's just screwed.
    My parents spend a lot of time in france and my dad told me about a little electric car he'd seen. Essentially a city car but required no tax, insurance or license as i recall. Nothing like that here though.

Absolutely scary, not because it's a push bike, you can adapt a bike for any speed you want really, It's scary if you are not used to doing that speed on any 2 wheels.

Nobody is allowed on my bike because the torque will throw them right off if they are not used to instant power, and a live electric throttle is very dangerous to even fully qualified motorbike riders who think electrics are toys.

No there will never be any vehicle that can do over 15 mph in Ireland that doesn't require license and insurance simply because a lot of Irish people need someone to hold their hand and tell them what way to do everything, meaning they will never drive or ride responsibly unless the "law tells them"

By any chance is this person living in Celbridge?

Not celbridge but you're not far off. Why?

Absolutely scary, not because it's a push bike, you can adapt a bike for any speed you want really, It's scary if you are not used to doing that speed on any 2 wheels.

Nobody is allowed on my bike because the torque will throw them right off if they are not used to instant power, and a live electric throttle is very dangerous to even fully qualified motorbike riders who think electrics are toys.

No there will never be any vehicle that can do over 15 mph in Ireland that doesn't require license and insurance simply because a lot of Irish people need someone to hold their hand and tell them what way to do everything, meaning they will never drive or ride responsibly unless the "law tells them"

And the lad I know has no experience on two wheels so wouldn't be a valid option for him really.

I suppose in a way it's not a bad thing that there are no unlicensed vehicles, there are enough bad licensed drivers on the road without introducing that.

And the lad I know has no experience on two wheels so wouldn't be a valid option for him really.

I suppose in a way it's not a bad thing that there are no unlicensed vehicles, there are enough bad licensed drivers on the road without introducing that.

True, I can only imagine the day those bikes are more common on the road as it will ruin things for me, because a lot of people have no respect for others. it's a very fun and practical form of transport.

Sure if he has no experience on two wheels then it isn't a good idea, I didn't either, but I started off low power and increased as my experienced grew.

The other bike that can do 50 mph I have electronically limited to 41 mph, it's fast enough for me, but it was fun for a few miles of a test run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ah the poor man indeed...........................................:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

What about a horse?

I hear Bus Eireann have some nice busses with wi-fi these days,as do Irish Rail with their trains

With regards the other part...............

Are you for real or what?????:eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

This might be something he might look into in the next few months..

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/transportation/a-car-you-can-drive-without-a-license/1571

OP, you also mentioned spmething you saw in France. Could it be this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twike

This might be something he might look into in the next few months..

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/transportation/a-car-you-can-drive-without-a-license/1571

You still need to tax and insure it,so how will that happen with no licence because of being drunk while in charge of a car.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Not celbridge but you're not far off. Why?

I think I was sitting in on his case today. Quite a coincidence.