Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Higher Diploma in Economic Science NUIG

Options
  • 19-07-2015 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hey all. I'm looking for any information, critique or whatnot about the Economic Science HDip in NUIG: http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/economic-science.html#tab1

I'm just finishing up a MSc in a sector where there is little or no job opportunities atm, and I'm thinking of supplementing my CV with this course in the downtime if that makes sense?!

All response welcome as I cant seem to find any third party information about the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Hey all. I'm looking for any information, critique or whatnot about the Economic Science HDip in NUIG: http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/economic-science.html#tab1

I'm just finishing up a MSc in a sector where there is little or no job opportunities atm, and I'm thinking of supplementing my CV with this course in the downtime if that makes sense?!

All response welcome as I cant seem to find any third party information about the course.

I know a couple of people who completed this course. One enjoyed it while the other didn't.
    Although you will be doing a HDip, you will be completing certain modules with final year students. The person who really enjoyed it went on to complete a Masters in Natural Resource Economics in the university and now has a position in the Marine Institute.
    You will have to complete some compulsory modules such as Introduction to Econometrics, Topics in Microeconomic Theory, and Ireland in the Global Economy. However,you will have a range of electives to choose from.
    These include Natural Resource and Environmental Economics, Marine Economics, Public Economics, Topics in Macroeconomic Theory, Development Economics, History of Economic Thought, International (trade) Economics, Financial Economics, Business Finance, Money and Banking, Health Economics...and their probably is more.
    Most of the lecturers on the course are usually quite good. You might get one or two that you find don't really add anything for you and it can be frustrating. This is probably the same everywhere though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Good course but would only recommend doing it if you want to go on and do a Masters in Economics.

What are you doing an Msc in by the way? I think that this will open a lot of doors to you anyway as most courses are a sign of aptitude as opposed to being really good at very specific tasks.

Advertisement