Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Making friends in the city

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Hi Paddy, I moved to galway a few months ago with my bf and in my experience it's been very hard to make connections here, especially as a couple. Maybe if you were to join a gym or club together that'd be an avenue for meeting people. Still haven't gotten around to joining anything myself as the bf isn't really into exercise. Can you meet people through work maybe? It's a really nice city but it does get kind of lonely when you don't know anyone but each other. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Oranmore...if u are sporty.. i cannot recommend the badminton club highly enough for meeting both older locals and more recent "blow ins". They are extremely welcoming and cater for all levels. the gym in the maldron has a great social side to it and the local soccer team would always be looking for players if u were interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with the ongoing social/friends thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Anyone up for doing something this week? In hope of making new friends!

22 Year Old here living close enough to the city if anyone want to plan something :)

I know some people that do the language exchange
    www.facebook.com/GalwayLingo
    It's really more a social club than actual language teaching, and could be something worth checking out.
    we start again at 8.00 pm, every monday in Monroe's Tavern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 niamhg49

Of course!

I'm lost in this thread now :P

Ohh well there is a meet up happening soon (in January maybe) :L

niamhg49 wrote: »
    Of course!
    niamhg49, just to clarify. The post you responded to was from a troll account and has now been deleted.

Ohh well there is a meet up happening soon (in January maybe) :L

We should just make it this week :)

• Advertisement

Could we do it next week, I'm not back until Monday.

Could we do it next week, I'm not back until Monday.

Can do :) I'll be free all evenings anyway (Working Monday - Fridays 9-5:30)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Dont know if any interest to anyone in here but on Meet ups theres a Dog Walks in Galway started, bunch of owners meeting up and walking their dogs, socializing etc.

I'm horridly allergic so I think I'll give that one a miss :P

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mary90

Just wondering does anyone here know anything about the MACRA in Galway city? I love the idea of it but finding it hard to get solid info on it, where do they meet up and when etc? Can anyone here shed any light on it or where could I find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CountingClocks

mary90 wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone here know anything about the MACRA in Galway city? I love the idea of it but finding it hard to get solid info on it, where do they meet up and when etc? Can anyone here shed any light on it or where could I find out?

Their FB page has the details, look for Galway City Macra.

Not looking too good on the progress on this thread so I'ma get the ball rolling today.

Any one up for an adventure of such tonight?
    Anything really. I'm happy out.

Weather is getting quite bad so preferably something inside.
    My mate is up from Sligo so we're looking for something to do if anyone wants to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mad4road

Hi, recently moved to Galway City from Spain and looking to make some new friends in the city. Any suggestions at all or advice would be appreciated ! Thanks guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You tell us what you are interested in.

We will tell you where to find a group of people who do that interests.

You join the club, and make friends there.

Is that huge thread that we had a while back still around? Someone that isn't as lazy as i am should look for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

The old reliable - Meetup.com - is your friend. There are 2 very active social groups plus groups for many other interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Mad4road wrote: »
    Hi, recently moved to Galway City from Spain and looking to make some new friends in the city. Any suggestions at all or advice would be appreciated ! Thanks guys !

you could join in in some wildflower planting in Terryland Forest Park this morning at 10am, meeting in Liosbaun Industrial Estate adjacent to the park: http://goo.gl/maps/dWBtr

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Any peeps up for some Bowling 1 of the evenings / over the weekend / next week.....?! If interested please mention when free...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 calling galway

I'd love to meet some more people who are interested in writing, reading (book clubs?) and being outdoors.

Any peeps up for some Bowling 1 of the evenings / over the weekend / next week.....?! If interested please mention when free...... :)

I'd be up for bowling. I'm shocking bad at it though :P

I'd be up for it too, in like 10 days or so.

biko wrote: »
    I'd be up for it too, in like 10 days or so.

Or we could go Go-Karting if its any good. I'm heading today so I'll let ye know what it's like! Never been :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Robert1782_

Hi anyone who might read this. I'm a 33 year old guy looking for a badminton partner/partners in Galway city. I'm currently pretty unfit so ideally I'm looking for someone over 25 who is in the same boat fitness wise. Also , might as well kill two birds with one stone , I'm looking for people interested in table quizzes and who'd like to get a regular team together. Cheers, hope to hear from anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Vrinda

JohnDee wrote: »
    The old reliable - Meetup.com - is your friend. There are 2 very active social groups plus groups for many other interests.
    For some reason it takes ages to load the meetup page, I nearly gave up, also took a long time to set up my profile and logins, it just doesn't load easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

this is another good place to organise meet ups http://www.meetup.com/cities/ie/galway/

Advertisement