Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Qualification Shortfall Red Tape Red Mist Syndrome

• 15-04-2015 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All

I have returned to live and teach in Ireland after 6 years of teaching in Britain. I am British trained with a PGCE in Early Years (0-7)!!!!!!!
    Its an understatement that I am having some difficulties getting my qualification recognised by the Teaching Council and other associated authorities.

If anyone out there happens to have a similar or indeed the same qualification I would really appreciate ANY INFO on your experience with qualification recognition and how you were asked to address your curriculum shortfalls.

I like to think of myself as a highly organised person however its fair to say that the teaching red tape has almost got me on my knees otherwise I wouldn't bother you good people about it.

Any info would be most gladly received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What have the TC told you are the shortfalls in your qualification?

I'm going to take a wild guess that it's because you aren't qualified to teach up to the age of 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Munchkin 17

Hey,

Obviously a shortfall in the Irish Language, a shortfall in curriculum in 8-12, shortfall in pedagogy 8-12, and a 6 week supervised placement 8-12.
    Do you know of anyone with a similar background and what they were asked to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Bar perhaps Irish-you are proably better equipped than most Irish Teachers as the Uk system really puts you through the ringer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Munchkin 17

I know I am not as qualified as Irish teachers but I am just wondering what others were asked to do to fullfill the shortfalls????
    The courses that some of the Uni's are asking me to do seems to be an exercise in cashing in.
    One institute wants me to do three lectures a week for a year with masters students in order to teach 8-12.

All of the options appear to be lengthly and very costly however Irish one of the most important subjects to teach correctly I am allowed to arrange independently and receive no courses in curriculum or pedagogy.

I assumed my modules would be night courses or short enough to the extent that I could substitute to pay all the necessary fees.

I will struggle to find a job and save the fee amounts, then enrol in September to a HMI while alongside doing my Irish tasks and teaching placements all in three years!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

Hi,

Any luck getting this sorted?

• Advertisement
Advertisement