Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

References

Options
  • 12-04-2015 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for a job and the application form is looking for 2 references. The first reference should be fine - I'll just put my current principal down. But I'm stuck as to who to put down for the second one. This is the only school I've ever worked in and I've been here a number of years now. I guess I could put down a lecturer from the HDip but in all honesty, they wont have a clue who I am. All they will be able to say is yes I completed the course. I'm thinking of putting down my inspector for the teaching practice, but again, its been a couple of years. I'm not sure how well he would remember me.

Just wondering what other people do in these situations.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How about the old favourites- guard, priest etc? Just not a councillor as they never say it as it is in fear of loosing votes

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭kiva989

But I don't know any guards or priests personally...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

kiva989 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of applying for a job and the application form is looking for 2 references. The first reference should be fine - I'll just put my current principal down. But I'm stuck as to who to put down for the second one. This is the only school I've ever worked in and I've been here a number of years now. I guess I could put down a lecturer from the HDip but in all honesty, they wont have a clue who I am. All they will be able to say is yes I completed the course. I'm thinking of putting down my inspector for the teaching practice, but again, its been a couple of years. I'm not sure how well he would remember me.

Just wondering what other people do in these situations.
    Thanks

Do you have a family friend/friends of your parents who has a good position in life and has known you for many years? They could give you a character reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

How about Principal from when you were a student. I didn't put mine down but they rang my former principal anyway (as well as my 2 references!). For some employers I think where you went to school could have a bit of bearing. As it turned out the Principal did know the other Principal from courses etc.

Advertisement