Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steam Sale (Christmas, 2014 Edition)

• 05-12-2014 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Ho, ho, ho, holy $hit, it's that time of year again. Scientists, engineers, astrologists and farmers have chosen December 18th as the day most likely to see the beginning of the 2014 Steam Winter Sale.

Depending on your point of view, the Steam Sales have been quite subdued in recent times. Some blame the fact that Steam has too much competition, some blame the deals aren't as good, others say it has to do with backlog. And a survey has found that two people believe uPlay offers a better service, so that has been ruled out as a cause for the apathy towards Steam Sales.

Personally, I am not sure if 2014 has been an excellent year for PC gaming. Sure, there have been a number of very good titles such as Wolfenstein, Watch_Dogs*, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Titanfall**, and DARK SOULS 2***. But, most of these have been too few and far between, meaning most gamers might have already picked them up. Which leaves the smaller or less advertised titles to fight it out for the love of our significantly reduced (Thank you, Irish Water) wallets.

Everyone is hoping for the return of the Flash Deals, Dailies, Community Vote, and a community event where you could win more games or prestige, but probably won't. Plenty of prestige though as you flash your slowly incrementing badge number at those who prefer to sell the trading cards to buy more games on discount.

I would love to see a return to form for this Christmas sale. 'This War of Mine', 'Battleblock Theatre' (90% off @ 1.92 in the Thanksgiving Sale, waiting on 100%), maybe 'Dead Rising 3' for some co-op zombie killing when I return home to the family abode as opposed to family-killing. While these can be seen as targets, I am sure they won't be my only victims during the sale. At this point, I would recommend people 'top-up' their Steam wallet with a set amount, and try fail to keep within that limit.

If more images, videos, or memes are added to this offertory by users in this thread, I will add them to the OP so many others may see the beautiful work devoted to Lord Gaben - Long may he reign.

Tips for surviving:
    1 - Only buy a game that is on the 'Daily Deals' section. Wait, wait, and wait some more. If it never appears on the 'Daily Deal's then it is safe to buy the game on the final day.

2 - Only buy games you want to play right now.

3 - Always be there for the 18:00 changeover as there is a chance you could get a game incredibly cheap due to mistakes in the discounting.

4 - Sometimes buying 4 packs can give you the chance to trade spare copies for other games.

5 - If in doubt, but you know its a great deal, buy the game as a 'Gift' and leave it in your inventory until you know you will play it. If you don't play it, then you still have the option to trade it for something you will play.

6 - If you buy something as a 'Gift' with the intent on trading it for keys, or another game with a Steam user, keep in mind there is now a 30 day cool-down on trading gifts.

Recommended alternatives:

Obligatory media:

c55.jpg

steamimage.jpg

db9cd6ce88f04f91c1aecf2492854a8d.jpg

*I am not a UbiSoft employee. Watch_Dogs was great...... when you mod it.
    ** Most enjoyable shooter of its kind since Unreal Tournament, lacked features though.
    ***For BDSM lovers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Falthyron wrote: »
    Depending on your point of view, the Steam Sales have been quite subdued in recent times. Some blame the fact that Steam has too much competition, some blame the deals aren't as good, others say it has to do with backlog.

It's backlog for me, I'm hoping to clear a few more games before getting anything new, unless there's a serious deal on something like Wolfenstein, I can't see myself buying much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Hopefully building a new rig in January, so I'll probably end up spending a fair bit in the Christmas sale. Most of the games on my wishlist are newish though, so they won't get huge discounts....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

My rule of thumb is:

If its over 2 euro, forget it! :pac:

...STILL END UP WITH PILES OF GAMES I'LL NEVER PLAY!

Making a few euros off the collectible cards is always fun though :P

By few, i mean 1 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭TheSunderz

Humble Christmas sale has started, need some opinions, is prison architect @8.95 worth it in ur opinion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Personally, I really enjoy it and it's one of the few games that I've always got installed on my computer. I find it to be one of those games you sit down with for a few minutes and then realise hours have passed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, Prison Architect is actually the best version of Sim City that's been released in a long time :D Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Steam Holiday Sale starts 18th December at 6pm UK time.

7 days, 1 hour, 13 minutes to go. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-11-steam-holiday-sale-starts-18th-december

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'll say I won't get overly involved in the sale, and probably find myself spending a ****tonne.

I have an outragous catalogue, of mostly games I bought and never even downloaded.

The last sale, I noticed most of the deals I got from the sale previous. So unless there is something outragous doubt I can see myself being tempted.

Some PS4 games and World of Warcraft are keeping me occupied over Christmas, so I'll barely have time to clear out the backlog I have, let alone add to it.

Still.....might keep some money to the side just in case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jrby

presume COD AW wont be on sale in steam, any alternatives out there to pick it up cheap?

wifes away and fancy something to do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭TheSunderz

Dont get COD please, try CSGO has a hard learning curve but with a few hours game time it'll become very enjoyable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

honestly found prison architect very buggy, not going to touch again till its finished

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

TheSunderz wrote: »
    Dont get COD please, try CSGO has a hard learning curve but with a few hours game time it'll become very enjoyable!

CS is like marmite, you'll either love it or hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Mr E wrote: »
    Steam Holiday Sale starts 18th December at 6pm UK time.

7 days, 1 hour, 13 minutes to go. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-11-steam-holiday-sale-starts-18th-december

My wallet is ready...

So as a prelude to the sale itself, Steam are having a Holiday Auction, starting Monday (although I think bidding for the first round is already open). Basically, turn any unwanted community crap in your inventory into gems, which can then be used to bid on items in the auction.

Edit: Seems like the items up for auction are mostly games... ALL the games!

Oak76 wrote: »
    So as a prelude to the sale itself, Steam are having a Holiday Auction, starting Monday (although I think bidding for the first round is already open). Basically, turn any unwanted community crap in your inventory into gems, which can then be used to bid on items in the auction.

Edit: Seems like the items up for auction are mostly games... ALL the games!

image.jpg

There was at least one blazingly obvious way to exploit the system. Well, if I could spot it, it must have been obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The Steam Auction will drive users to craft badges even more so now. I reckon this is an event that will be repeated and it gives users an opportunity to get rid of the 'useless junk' from building badges. Good move by Valve, imo. I hated having all that clutter in my inventory and with so many of the same items on the marketplace you couldn't sell them.

Steam Christmas Badge is now on the 'Badges' section of the site. Now, it's Christmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I had a whole bunch of stuff for sale in the market for literally over a year that didn't budge. I check my mails this morning (before hearing about the auction) and a whole bunch of mails saying this of this stuff I couldn't shift has been sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Cravez wrote: »
    I had a whole bunch of stuff for sale in the market for literally over a year that didn't budge. I check my mails this morning (before hearing about the auction) and a whole bunch of mails saying this of this stuff I couldn't shift has been sold.

Haha, same here! 5 items for 1c sold for me this morning. I was all: "yaay!", then I saw the Steam Auction thing and I was all: "Get that $hit down now! Save it!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You're actually better off selling any inventory items and buying sacks of gems for 3c. 1000 gems for as little as 3c vs 5-20 gems for an inventory item that will sell for as much.

^And then use the 1000s of gems to craft booster packs, which you sell on the market to buy more gems, and so on and so forth. That's pretty much why it's down.

• Advertisement

So there's going to be a huge reset, and they'll start again. :pac:

yeti_auction_english.jpg?t=1418411296

Seems it's back up... kinda. You can craft gems from your inventory stuff, but you can't buy/sell them on the market (yet).

Perhaps most interesting is this bit from the auction page;
    NOTE: On Thursday Dec 11th we had an issue with Gems that meant we needed to reset the Auction and start over. We apologize for the interruption. Any placed bids will need to be placed again.
    • All Gems created by you have been returned to your Inventory.
    • All Gem purchases from the Community Market have been reimbursed. View your Store Transactions to see the Wallet Credit to your account.
    • All previous Auction bids have been canceled and the Auction has been reset.
    • Additionally, anyone who traded away items in exchange for Steam Gems on the first day of bidding will receive a copy of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in their Inventory.

I shall be waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

if you made a gem before today you get a copy of csgo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

/\/ollog wrote: »
    if you made a gem before today you get a copy of csgo

and if you slready have it :( ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So you need to have a ridiculous amount of gems to be able to bid on anything, it seems.

Bit of a damp squib this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

So you need to have a ridiculous amount of gems to be able to bid on anything, it seems.

Bit of a damp squib this.

i thought so too, but it's a good way to get rid of all the crappy backgrounds and font things from my inventory

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Poached from reddit:
    ‘Twas the night before the Winter Sale, when all through the house.
    Not a gamer was stirring, not even his mouse;
    The LEDs were hung by the chimney with care, In hopes that St. GabeN soon would be there;

The master race children were nestled all snug in their beds,
    While visions of discounts danced in their heads;

And mamma in her Steam T-shirt, and I in my Half Life 3 cap,
    Had just settled our brains for a long winter sale's nap,
    When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
    I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
    Away to the PC I flew like a flash.
    Opened the security camera program, and looked at the cache.
    The glow of the LEDs on the breast of the new-fallen snow
    Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
    When, what to my glorious eyes should appear,
    But a miniature graphics card sleigh, and eight motherboard reindeer,
    With a large glorious driver, so lively yet so heavily laden,
    I knew in a moment it must be St. GabeN.
    Faster than an overclocked CPU his coursers they came on command,
    And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by brand;
    “Now, Gigabyte! now, Asus! now, ASRock and MSI!
    On, Zotac! on, EVGA! on, XFX and Sapphire!
    To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
    Now dash away! dash away! dash away all! ”
    As uniformed peasants that before the PC Master Race fly,
    When they meet with the facts, and stick to developer lies;
    So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
    With the sleigh full of Games, and St. GabeN too.
    And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
    The prancing and pawing of each little PCB hoof.
    As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
    Down the chimney St. GabeN came with a bound.
    He was dressed all in spandex, from his head to his foot,
    And his long glorious flowing hair was untouched by the ashes and soot;
    A bundle of games he had flung on his back,
    And he looked like a pedler just opening his pack.
    His eyes—how glorious! His dimples, how glary!
    His cheeks were like red LEDs, his nose like mx cherries!
    His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow
    And the beard of his chin was as white as Skyrim's snow;

The image of a valve he held tight in his teeth,
    And the steam it encircled his head like a RAM wreath;
    He had a broad face and a glorious round belly, That shook violently when he laughed, just like a peasant when he is jelly.
    He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old man,
    And I cryed with happiness when I saw him, in spite of myself;
    A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
    Soon gave me to know that PC gaming is not dead.
    He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
    And emptied all the wallets; then turned with a jerk,
    And laying his finger aside of his nose,
    And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;

He sprang to his graphics card sleigh, to his team gave a jolt,
    And away they all flew like the striking of a bolt,
    But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
    “Happy Steam Sales to all, and to all a good-night.”

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

jrby wrote: »
    presume COD AW wont be on sale in steam, any alternatives out there to pick it up cheap?

wifes away and fancy something to do.....

https://www.cdkeys.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=call+of+duty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

cheaper on Kinguin €15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

i thought so too, but it's a good way to get rid of all the crappy backgrounds and font things from my inventory

Oh, aye, it is that. Just I can't do much with the gems now. Just condensing the inventory really.

Advertisement