Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Steam Activation Help

Options
  • 21-10-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey,
    I am wondering do hard copies of pc games come with an activation code for steam (That would allow me to digitally download it) as i find it would be cheaper to buy the hard copy of most games off amazon rather than buying them off steam, any response would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As a general rule no, unless they use Streamworks as their DRM mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭conorhickey

Are borderlands or dishonored steamwork games?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yes, both use Steamworks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭conorhickey

so any game that has steam works can be download and run digitally when u buy the hard copy,if so i am so happy thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Are borderlands or dishonored steamwork games?
    Borderlands 2 is Steamworks, don't think the first is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

so any game that has steam works can be download and run digitally when u buy the hard copy,if so i am so happy thanks for the help

Correctamundo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

here is a list of games that you activate on Steam

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

EA games can be activated on origin so you can download digital copies too. Might be useful for bf3 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

EA games can be activated on origin so you can download digital copies too. Might be useful for bf3 etc.

Not BF2142 though I think. I could never get that activated anywhere.
    And I don't think Origin , EA have a process whereby the games you registered with them are available to download in Digital format

Example - I've ever BF game ever, some are missing discs, but over time I did register them all with my EA account and it shows on my Veteran status, but I can't re-download any of them :( ...I hate EA

(If someone posts a method whereby I can do this, then excellent - but I still hate EA)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Not BF2142 though I think. I could never get that activated anywhere.
    And I don't think Origin , EA have a process whereby the games you registered with them are available to download in Digital format

Example - I've ever BF game ever, some are missing discs, but over time I did register them all with my EA account and it shows on my Veteran status, but I can't re-download any of them :( ...I hate EA

(If someone posts a method whereby I can do this, then excellent - but I still hate EA)

Try https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do . I was able to register my physical copies of BF2 and BF2142 for my origin account through that link.

Advertisement