Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone remember this a Sinclair C5?

• 17-09-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Does anyone remember this a Sinclair C5?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

sinclair_c5.jpg
    They look great fun!
    Were there ever released here?
    A heavily modified C5 reached a top speed of 150 miles per hour (240 km/h) and accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 5 seconds taking the speed record for an electric vehicle.[6] The C5 also became the world's first electric stunt vehicle when it was driven through a 70 ft tunnel of fire.[7] A "turbo conversion" converting the C5 to 24 volts and boosting the speed to 27–30 miles per hour (43–48 km/h) is available.[8]
    O_O

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, Clive Sinclair was a sort of Mr. Dyson back in the 80's. The C5 was widely ridiculed at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mannionjp

They look great fun! Were there ever released here?

Hi I honestly don't know if they were released here by Sinclair but there some where in the country that sold them I think now I could be wrong? In the past two days I must of nearly clocked up at least 60 kms and boy are they fun to drive!!! They are the future of the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

They were certainly ahead of their time but just weren't practical for busy London streets. I don't think the battery lasted long either but it didn't deserve the ridicule it got as we may yet be limited to such devices in years to come if we want to enter our cities in a car like contraption.

Sinclair himself is still alive- only 74- I thought he was older than that, sorry Clive:P
    The ZX81 and ZX spectrum that Clive also produced for are responsible for bringing computer programming to the masses. I reckon anyone in a senior IT role over 40 has played with a ZX or spectrum back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

They were certainly ahead of their time but just weren't practical for busy London streets. I don't think the battery lasted long either but it didn't deserve the ridicule it got as we may yet be limited to such devices in years to come if we want to enter our cities in a car like contraption.

Sinclair himself is still alive- only 74- I thought he was older than that, sorry Clive:P
    The ZX81 and ZX spectrum that Clive also produced for are responsible for bringing computer programming to the masses. I reckon anyone in a senior IT role over 40 has played with a ZX or spectrum back in the day.

Think one of those turned up in an early episode of Red Dwarf Series 1!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I reckon anyone in a senior IT role over 40 has played with a ZX or spectrum back in the day.
    I now fly hubsan mini quadcopters.

Getting back to the point, there was a news item back in the day on a C5 user's experience in Cork City.

Advertisement