Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jokeshop, Dublin, late-'80s?

Options
  • 13-07-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Anyone remember a jokeshop that was in Dublin in the late '80s? It seemed to be one of those 'here and gone' establishments, so I'm guessing it didn't operate for too many years.

For some reason I have this feeling it was probably located somewhere up where O'Connell St meets Parnell St.

Anyone know what it was called or what building it was located in? I seem to have a memory that it was a long narrow shop with a counter that ran the entire length of the store. Also I seem to recall that it had two entrances, so you could come in one side, walk the length of the shop and leave at the other.

Actually, just I think of it, perhaps it was that located at that Londis store on Parnell St? Could this be so?

Anyway, any info gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Memory is a bit hazy but I seem to remember it being on the same section as the gresham and the savoy. I can picture the shop inside and out but not its placement. It was definitely on the east side of o'connell st and your description matches exactly how I remember it.

Actually, the more I think of it the more I'm convinced it was where toddys bar is on the corner of cathal brugha st and o'connell st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Funny Biz was the name I think. I remember it being close to the Gresham too

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I remember one up beside the Gaiety at the side of Stephens Green Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

KoolKid wrote: »
    I remember one up beside the Gaiety at the side of Stephens Green Centre.

I remember this- definitely there in 1993 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

stinkle wrote: »
    Funny Biz was the name I think. I remember it being close to the Gresham too

That's the name I remember as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I remember this- definitely there in 1993 too.
    Its still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah Funny Biz was where The Greshams Cocktail bar is now so they must have bought it back.
    there used to be a Joke Shop on Westmoreland St as well at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 33 keithap76

That's the name I remember as well

I worked in toddys bar for a number of nears that joke shop was there on the corner they bought it and extended the bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭RustDaz

ya it was on the corner of cathal brugha st.. I used to wait for the Kearn's bus to bring me to galway there. I remember the computer shop there and the grotty cafe, the lyons den.

the Computer Shop was Computer City and they used to rent out games for the likes of the Spectrum/C64, Amiga, PC and consoles
    I used to go in there every Saturday, rent a game and copy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭RustDaz

ya I used to drool looking at all the computers in there, i remember being mesmerized by a demo running on a monitor. Pretty sure it was Psygnosis game of an Owl flying.

yeah I remember that I think it was a demo for the CDTV

Advertisement