Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

I know, and i did say dat in an earlier post that this is tommys fourth season on the panel. But he is a good converter of the ball... So lets give him the benefit of the doubt this time :)
    ok so hope Gavin dose the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

ok so hope Gavin dose the same

Yaeh gavin scored a great point after, nice to see a ruan mor man on the team
    They put in some time with the youngsters up there

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

were still talking about the tommy ryan thing lads wev havent much to be worrying about if thats the case. People take wrong options all the time give him a break he made one mistake and tbf you cant fault a lad for having the confidence to try and kill the game off. Im sure he'll learn from it

On another note anyone know when Paudie Mahony is due back? Or even if hes due back,... u21 game v Clare next month hed be massive for that

Originally I heard he was out for the season but heard it was said in some paper that he could be making a return very shortly.. For Ballygunner
    I dont know if its just speculation though and even if he was to play a bit of the game against Passage tomorrow hes not going to be anyway fit Id imagine. So unless some miracle has happened in the last while hes probs out for a while yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

hardybuck wrote: »
    No, if both players messed up passing the ball 5 yards either side of them I'd be calling for their heads, as both were routine passes.

Paul Flynn's goal is incomparible. However, he was not a dead cert free taker like Mahony is, and chipped in his fair share of frustrating wides. If we had someone with Mahony's accuracy from frees then we might have won one or two more titles.

If you give Michael Ryan, Ken McGrath and Sean Cullinane an auld call on the phone, after kicking both out they might find a place for you in the sqaud. After all there will be two places up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

deise_girl wrote: »
    were still talking about the tommy ryan thing lads wev havent much to be worrying about if thats the case. People take wrong options all the time give him a break he made one mistake and tbf you cant fault a lad for having the confidence to try and kill the game off. Im sure he'll learn from it

On another note anyone know when Paudie Mahony is due back? Or even if hes due back,... u21 game v Clare next month hed be massive for that

Originally I heard he was out for the season but heard it was said in some paper that he could be making a return very shortly.. For Ballygunner
    I dont know if its just speculation though and even if he was to play a bit of the game against Passage tomorrow hes not going to be anyway fit Id imagine. So unless some miracle has happened in the last while hes probs out for a while yet..

Not a hope he'l play any part tomorrow. That would be downright dangerous. He's six weeks post op. quickest he can be back on a pitch is ten.

• Advertisement

solarith wrote: »
    Championship games involving Intercounty players playing the following weekend (footballers v Wicklow) are usually on Friday nights. JJ Hutchenson plays for Ballygunner.

You are so, so wrong. He should have known there was a man behind him and that he was too close to keeper. You (he) need(s) selflessness.

How come Fourmilewater and Abbeyside are not playing so on Friday evening. The Nire and Ballinacourty will have players playing for Waterford next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

if he has not learned at his age ,he is running out of time

ah lads will ye just give it a rest bloody hell yere hard men

michael ryan winding up before he went on was nothing short of ridiculous .he should have said to him ,in you go you will get a chance think and do the right thing ,he might have noticed the 2 lads inside him then and the empty net ,hope michael ryan learns from this as well

In the same way that Davy gave nice calm easy going team talks is it.

glick6 wrote: »
    Not a hope he'l play any part tomorrow. That would be downright dangerous. He's six weeks post op. quickest he can be back on a pitch is ten.

Mhmmm and I hope not.. Think it was Phil Fanning that said it in the paper but Ill find out tomorrow where I got it from

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Black Suir wrote: »
    How come Fourmilewater and Abbeyside are not playing so on Friday evening. The Nire and Ballinacourty will have players playing for Waterford next week.
    Absolutely no idea - they must be on Saturday? As I said, it's what usually happens but not always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Is ken mcgrath gone on hols or did he stay for tonights game v tallow? Everybody in county has a different version

yea he defo went away on Holidays.. Why was he supposed to be playing a match?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭liogairmhordain

was anyone watching "championship matters" just now?
    mullane on the panel, has been talking about celebrating in front of davy at the end of the game, claims davy said "mullane's finished" or something along those lines to the father of another one of the waterford players in the last week.
    the whole thing is a bit petty. by all means use a bit of loose talk (real or invented) as motivation if its in short supply the week before a championship match (shouldn't be). but once the game is done, drop it.
    anyway he's predicted dublin and tipp to win this weekend's two big hurling matches. malachy clerkin also predicted dublin to win, crazy talk.
    its repeated at 12.20 am tomorrow night

mullane on the panel, has been talking about celebrating in front of davy at the end of the game, claims davy said "mullane's finished" or something along those lines to the father of another one of the waterford players in the last week.
    the whole thing is a bit petty. by all means use a bit of loose talk (real or invented) as motivation if its in short supply the week before a championship match (shouldn't be). but once the game is done, drop it.
    anyway he's predicted dublin and tipp to win this weekend's two big hurling matches. malachy clerkin also predicted dublin to win, crazy talk.
    Hon Mullane, f*cking Legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

John's a legend but didn't think he came across that well. He didnt look that comfortable talking about it Saying "I don't want to get into it" but then immediately getting into it!!

Best to leave his hurling do the talking IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Optimist eternal

Just saw it on RTE player. John didn't do himself any favours by going on that programme. He's better off sticking with what he does best.

Top drawer wrote: »
    Is ken mcgrath gone on hols or did he stay for tonights game v tallow? Everybody in county has a different version

I heard that Mount Sion and Ballygunner tried all in their power and even tried to get people who they thought might have a little influence to get this weekends round of games called off because of players away. Am glad the County Board did not bow to them and stood up for the average club player who is all to often thrown to one side this time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Glad to hear county board didnt call off the games if that story is true. On Paudie Mahony seen him in the gym I use a few times last week. Working hard he was and moving fairly freely. Wouldn't be suprised to see him back hurling fairly soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Glick6 is right, no way Mahony will be back tomorrow. He should be back around the end of July/start of August because that would be about 3 months after the operation.

Calling this weeks games:

Reckon that Lismore, Dugarvan and Passage to beat Ballygunner (who I think are heading for a relegation playoff) in Group 1

In Group 2, Fourmilewater and De La Salle should win with a bit to spare. Also, I think Mount Sion should just about prevail over Tallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Harty Cup 2012/2013

Group A
    DLS Waterford
    Castletroy College
    Ard Scoil Ris
    Clonmel CBS
    St Colmans
    Kerry Colleges

Group B
    Blackwater College
    Our Ladys Templemore
    West Limerick Colleges
    Abbey CBS
    Charleville CBS

Group C
    Nenagh CBS
    Midleton CBS
    Colaiste Chriost Ri
    Hamilton High School
    Thurles CBS

Group D
    Waterford Colleges
    Doon CBS
    Gael Cholaiste Mhuire
    St Flannans
    St Caimans

1st round of fixtures is september 19th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Black Suir wrote: »
    In the same way that Davy gave nice calm easy going team talks is it.
    are you even of sound mind?its rich coming from me ,but you make fu#% all sense

Now.. No Pauric playing but for how long is Brian O Sullivan here in Ireland and why isnt he on the Waterford panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Davy Fitz also did an interview on Clare FM today.
    The interviewer told him what Mullane said on that show (as Davy said he didn't watch championship matters) and Davy Fitz just said that he never did any interviews prior to the match and to his knowledge never said anything about Mullane prior to the game either. Yet if players want to believe hearsay from others to use as motivation and rile them up for the match, then so be it. Or along those lines anyways.

He was also said to elaborate on the comments made to him before he said the whole "ive 2 all ireland medals" and answered back that the match was on Sunday. Leave it in the past and just move on. The interviewer attempted again to make him say what was said to him from whoever he directed the comment at to "clear his name" but he just wouldn't budge and didn't want to make a fuss over it.

Personally thought he came across very well in the interview myself and didn't badmouth anyone (altho taking into account I didn't catch it all but a good part of it).
    If I find a podcast, I'll post it for anyone who wants to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Personally I think the standard of both teams has deteriorated massively in the past few years, just my opinion for what its worth.

To quote Davy; "Things were far better when I was allowed play".

Now Fitzy is quite a reputable guy, well deserving of a listening to. To randomly quote a random person with no affiliation to him:
    Personally thought he came across very well in the interview myself and didn't badmouth anyone (altho taking into account I didn't catch it all but a good part of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

Ballygunner got their Championship campaign back on track with a hard earned two point victory in a competitive game against Passage in Walsh Park yesterday evening, on a full time score of BG1.16, Passage 2.11. Passage led by 8 at the break with Eoin Kelly netting their two goals, both from 21metre frees as Passage kept out a late Stephen Power penalty to see them 2.7 to 5 points ahead at the break. Ballygunner improved greatly on the resumption with a cruical goal from JJ Jutchinson on 46 mins bringing them back into contention. Stephen Power was very accurate from placed balls notching up 10 points and while Owen Connors had Passage in contention right until the end, two late points from David O Sullivan and Barry Mullane sealed the Ballygunner victory. Brian O' Sullivan, Shane O' Sullivan and Paudie Mahony all expected to be available for their final group game against Lismore.

Mount Sion claimed their first points of the 2012 campaign with 6 points to spare over Tallow in Fraher Field on a full time score of Mt Sion 2.15, Tallow 0.15 with the all important Mt Sion goals coming from Sean Ryan and Martin O Neill in the opening half.

Personally I think the standard of both teams has deteriorated massively in the past few years, just my opinion for what its worth.

To quote Davy; "Things were far better when I was allowed play".

Now Fitzy is quite a reputable guy, well deserving of a listening to. To randomly quote a random person with no affiliation to him:

What does he mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

What does he mean by that?

Often, Davy says the most when he doesn't say anything at all. But in this case, its safe to assume that he feels that Waterford is on a downward spiral, similar to the one that led to the February Revolution.

Also, Waterford_Female wants to ask you something.

I'd just like to assure anyone listening to 'on the ball' on WLR that the comment about the 'Ballymac lads' and the stuff said about the City was not me, somebody else using the alias 'Mountainlad'. In fact, it's made me a bit paranoid to be honest.

I'd just like to assure anyone listening to 'on the ball' on WLR that the comment about the 'Ballymac lads' and the stuff said about the City was not me, somebody else using the alias 'Mountainlad'. In fact, it's made me a bit paranoid to be honest.

lol... looks like youve struck a chord with someone so if thats the case!

• Advertisement

Mullane has made a bit of a fool of himself with this whole saga. He had an opportunity on the programme to really put the issue to bed and admit that he reacted badly and that he regretted what he did. Its obvious he is embarrassed over it but just didnt want to admit it and maybe his ego took over. Hes been a great ambassador for hurling but he has let himself down on this occasion.
    As for Kellys celebration after his goal it was pretty shameful thing do tbh and not a true reflection of what waterford hurling stands for. Whatever his reasons behind it he didnt to himself or his teamates any favours. Id like to see him do it against the likes of Kilkenny, but I dont think youll see that happening. its all well and good to goad in the face a rookie fullback from a county that hasnt done much in recent years. This player has gone hiding too many times in too many big games and im sick of trying to vouch for him. Id like to see him do his talking with the hurley like he used to be able to do in the past.

Im looking forward to the future for Waterford hurling I think there are some terrific young lads coming through that have been bred with the correct attitude. But there are a few pieces of deadwood still hanging around and clinging onto past reputations and the sooner that moves on and the next generation comes to the fore the better at this stage. Its time to change the mindset of Waterford hurling and rid ourselves of the nonsense that has been holding us back this past decade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement