Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

I'd imagine more than that, he's vying for the spot. I mean rumours about James McGarry being a coach in his proposed backroom team were hardly drawn out of the sky, he must be very interested and letting it be known, with the leakage to the media, as to be honest I don't think the Sunday Independents claims were anything more than a story Ryan wanted put out there to get people talking about him.

Astute enough observation alright. Just that a named coach to accompany Ryan has been flouted, is enough to tell me he's interested. Don't really know much about McGarry as a coach though, as if Ryan gets the job, the coach he brings on board will be critical. Pity about Ger Cunningham joining the JBM Cork team, as a duo of Jason Ryan and someone like Ger Cunningham could have been quite strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 horselips

What about Mick Casey Jason Ryan's his physical trainer with Wexford? He also did the physical training the last few years with the De La Salle hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

wasn't McGarry coaching Ballyhale last year? Hopefully it'll be himself & Jason Ryan. I'd have faith in them two ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

horselips wrote: »
    What about Mick Casey Jason Ryan's his physical trainer with Wexford? He also did the physical training the last few years with the De La Salle hurlers.

That's fine, but we need a hurling coach as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

No disrespect to Jason Ryan i know him well, he's a top guy but seriously like what does he know about managing a County hurling team. If he got a hurling club job i'd still raise my eyebrow an i mean that in the nicest possible way, Am i been left behind in these new methods of the GAA but how can a football manager be in contention for a hurling job.. Is it only me or does anyone think the same..

He may be best known as a football man but he has proven to be a good Manager. If he had a good hurling coach with him, it might work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Cheap shot. Although credit due to the fact you posted in a language that resembles english. for a change
    thanks foundation english

hardybuck wrote: »
    If Clinton Hennessey had come home from Boston a few years sooner, Waterford would probably have won an All Ireland. Good luck to him.

Power won't be automatically stepping in - I reckon SOK will be pushing very hard also. At least we have some competition now.

I have seen a alot senior games in the last number of years, and believe that Brendan Landers is as good as these two. He has saved Lismore a lot in the last few years. Maurice Shanahan gets a lot of praise for bringing them so far in the last few years, but what he does is all for nothing if Landers is not performing at the other end of the field. I dont know however if he would be interested in a return to the Inter County Scene as a player, or what age is he now. Would he be even considered by the new manager. I dont think the new manager and selectors can go in without having an open book on everyone. Just because a player was a regular under Justin and/or Davy does not mean they should be an automatic player under the new set up. THe more competition we have in each position the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 horselips

That's fine, but we need a hurling coach as well.

Sorry I should have been clearer I meant as a coach/team trainer with J Ryan they obviously have a very good working relationship as can be seen from the progress in Wexford.

Colleges results where Waterford Colleges or Waterford players playing outside the county were involved.

Dean Ryan Cup

Midleton CBS 1-13 Clonmel H.S. 2-5
    DLS. Waterford 1-11 St. Flannans Ennis 1-5
    Charleville CBS 4-8 St. Colman’s Fermoy 0-12

Dr. Rogers Cup

PS. na Tríonóide Youghal 1-11 St. Paul’s C.C. Waterford 0-4
    St. Augustine’s Dungarvan 3-20 Tramore CBS 0-4
    St. Declan’s Kilmacthomas 0-18 St. Munchin’s Limerick 0-11

Corn Phádraig

Dungarvan CBS 3-16 St. Joseph’s Tulla 1-12

Corn Mhic Chraith

St. Declan’s Kilmacthomas 3-2 Carrignavar 1-9
    Carrigaline C.S. 1-10 PS na Tríonóide Youghal 1-6

Deise 2012 wrote: »
    I have seen a alot senior games in the last number of years, and believe that Brendan Landers is as good as these two. He has saved Lismore a lot in the last few years. Maurice Shanahan gets a lot of praise for bringing them so far in the last few years, but what he does is all for nothing if Landers is not performing at the other end of the field. I dont know however if he would be interested in a return to the Inter County Scene as a player, or what age is he now. Would he be even considered by the new manager. I dont think the new manager and selectors can go in without having an open book on everyone. Just because a player was a regular under Justin and/or Davy does not mean they should be an automatic player under the new set up. THe more competition we have in each position the better.

I just don't agree. And he's way older. Hennessey in my eyes is the best keeper in the county until one of the others proves themselves at that level.

Agree with the latter half of the comment though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

theres is know speculation that Gerald Mccarthy and John Myler are linked to the Waterford Job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

To add to the rumour mill, I've heard from contacts in Wexford that Jason Ryan is staying another year, but is looking to use the Waterford situation to strengthen his hand and make demands to their county board....

PTH2009 wrote: »
    theres is know speculation that Gerald Mccarthy and John Myler are linked to the Waterford Job.

:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:LL:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:LL:LL:L:L:L

That is all I have to say for now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,493 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well done to our 6 All Star Nominations

Brick Walsh
    Tony Browne (please stay another year)
    Kevin Moran
    Pauric Mahony (first of many hopefully)
    Shane Walsh
    John Mullane

Cant see us winning more than one award though (Mullane), but we live in hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

KevIRL wrote: »

Brick Walsh
    Kevin Moran
    Shane Walsh
    John Mullane

Yeah it'll be Mullane only I'd say. Richly deserved though. Another great year from him.

I read somewhere that he's a handful of points away from being the highest non-free taking Championship scorer of all time. Unreal.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Yeah it'll be Mullane only I'd say. Richly deserved though. Another great year from him.

I read somewhere that he's a handful of points away from being the highest non-free taking Championship scorer of all time. Unreal.
    yeh mullane will prob get his all star, as for rest no chance im afraid all had very average games apart from limerick game ,so congrats john and the rest need to up their games and be more consistent ,

KevIRL wrote: »

Brick Walsh
    Kevin Moran
    Shane Walsh
    John Mullane

Quite good seasons for them all, but hard to look beyond Mullane for a lone All Star from the bunch, with the Tipp game probably scuppering any chances for most of the rest.

Great debut season from Pauric O'Mahony, and if it hadn't been for Liam Rushes immense performances this season, could have been in with a punt for the young hurler of the year.

Quite good seasons for them all, but hard to look beyond Mullane for a lone All Star from the bunch, with the Tipp game probably scuppering any chances for most of the rest.

Great debut season from Pauric O'Mahony, and if it hadn't been for Liam Rushes immense performances this season, could have been in with a punt for the young hurler of the year.
    one good game from play ,and de rest was just good free taking ,if eoin kelly contributed the same ye would be saying he done f;'.k all only frees

one good game from play ,and de rest was just good free taking ,if eoin kelly contributed the same ye would be saying he done f;'.k all only frees

Great debut season from a player playing his first season at senior, as well as just really out of the underage grades. Pauric, or any of the other nominees don't deserve this sort of harsh nonsense, rubbishing their seasons.

Great debut season from a player playing his first season at senior, as well as just really out of the underage grades. Pauric, or any of the other nominees don't deserve this sort of harsh nonsense, rubbishing their seasons.[/QUOTE its not rubbish ,its no coincidence we only have 2 all irelands, its not because we dont have the players, its just we blow them up over a good performance ,they all had reasonable chanpionships at best full stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 updownup

horselips wrote: »

im getting convinced horselips that u are mick casey or you are very close to his camp as most of your post are about micko casey, maybe you should get a mick casey scanner.....lol

Great debut season from a player playing his first season at senior, as well as just really out of the underage grades. Pauric, or any of the other nominees don't deserve this sort of harsh nonsense, rubbishing their seasons.[/QUOTE its not rubbish ,its no coincidence we only have 2 all irelands, its not because we dont have the players, its just we blow them up over a good performance ,they all had reasonable chanpionships at best full stop

Credit where credit is due. Your argument about blowing up players is pretty wide of the mark, and have seen nothing here to suggest that this is the case. These guys deserve their All Star nomination, and are there on merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jeddah

yeh mullane will prob get his all star, as for rest no chance im afraid all had very average games apart from limerick game ,so congrats john and the rest need to up their games and be more consistent ,

Mullane a cert for an All Star and deservedly so. Would also think he is in with a shout for Hurler of the Year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Jeddah wrote: »
    Mullane a cert for an All Star and deservedly so. Would also think he is in with a shout for Hurler of the Year

Deserves an all star absolutely no chance of HOTY, its between Michael Fennelly, Tommy Walsh and Padraic Maher, the result of the AI probably meaning its between the former two.

Deserves an all star absolutely no chance of HOTY, its between Michael Fennelly, Tommy Walsh and Padraic Maher, the result of the AI probably meaning its between the former two.

Agreed. Think Fennelly will take it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Out of the country the last 2 weeks lads, any news/word on the street about who's going to get the managers job? Or even who's been considered? Is Jason Ryan really an option, along with James McGarry?

Also, IIRC it won't be long before they make the draw for next years championship, that's usually around October. Something to look forward to (obviously we're due a 1/4 final in Munster against Tipp just so it couldn't get any harder!)

Two semis the weekend should be good, tough to call both.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cake Man wrote: »
    Also, IIRC it won't be long before they make the draw for next years championship, that's usually around October. Something to look forward to (obviously we're due a 1/4 final in Munster against Tipp just so it couldn't get any harder!)

Id say Davys used up every bit of luck we have for the draw with over the last 3 years. 2 limerick games & clare. We'll get tipp for the next 5 years now :pac:

Cake Man wrote: »
    Out of the country the last 2 weeks lads, any news/word on the street about who's going to get the managers job? Or even who's been considered? Is Jason Ryan really an option, along with James McGarry?

Two semis the weekend should be good, tough to call both.

Are Kerry back in Munster this year after winning the Christy Ring last year. If they are there will be two quarter finals which will be Cork and Tipp and Waterford and Clare. If Kerry are not involved (is there something that you have to win the Christy Ring twice before you go up) I still believe that the draw will be as above but it would have to be worked out which play a semi final and which play the quarter finals. If Kerry are involved, i would fear for them however. There best chance would be to play Clare who would be the weakest of the other five in Munster. Thats not to say that Clare are a poor team, they are not, just that bit behind Tipp, Waterford, Cork and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,493 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Deise 2012 wrote: »
    Are Kerry back in Munster this year after winning the Christy Ring last year. If they are there will be two quarter finals which will be Cork and Tipp and Waterford and Clare. If Kerry are not involved (is there something that you have to win the Christy Ring twice before you go up) I still believe that the draw will be as above but it would have to be worked out which play a semi final and which play the quarter finals. If Kerry are involved, i would fear for them however. There best chance would be to play Clare who would be the weakest of the other five in Munster. Thats not to say that Clare are a poor team, they are not, just that bit behind Tipp, Waterford, Cork and Limerick.

They have opted not to move up to the All Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Id say Davys used up every bit of luck we have for the draw with over the last 3 years. 2 limerick games & clare. We'll get tipp for the next 5 years now :pac:

Ha yep of course! Tipp in the first round and then a rejuvenated Cork for the semi, watch!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement