Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barker House Tapas Bar

• 19-06-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭

There's a sign in the side window of the old tapas bar restaurant at Barker House that a Tapas Bar is opening soon and they are looking for experienced staff!

I never got to try the old one, so best of luck to the new proprietors on this venture.

If the new owners do read this, I'd recommend changing the name from Mauzac as most searches bring up a fair bit of negative press!:)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

That is good news. Hopefully the new owners can run it successfully. The old restaurant was a wonderful idea and a nice place to eat. Just seemed to have a few mishaps which really brought the place down a bit.

Good look to the new owners and their new venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

translation: The corner. Good name, very fitting - well done to the owner.

El Rincon Tapas Bar Tel: (01)2872774

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Dined there last night and was very happy with the experience. They have imported three chefs from spain. Hadn't dined in the previous place but my brother lives in Barca and I have eaten alot of tapas over there. This food was certainly on a par. Service was a little flakey and I would stress that it needs to be improved if the place is to be a success. Price wise it was only OK but they are doing an 8 oz fillet for 24 euro which is competetive.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

conlof wrote: »
    Dined there last night and was very happy with the experience. They have imported three chefs from spain. Hadn't dined in the previous place but my brother lives in Barca and I have eaten alot of tapas over there. This food was certainly on a par. Service was a little flakey and I would stress that it needs to be improved if the place is to be a success. Price wise it was only OK but they are doing an 8 oz fillet for 24 euro which is competetive.

An 8oz filltet is a very large tapas dish. Did you have many other dishes with that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

I didn't have the steak but I saw it come out and it looked good. I had a selection of tapas. C
    Very nice

• Advertisement

Has anyone been able to get their hands on a menu? Tried calling but couldn't get through. If anyone does get one, can they upload it?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tinker13

This seems to be reopened but under a new name.

Anyone got any info or feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭eigrod

Tinker13 wrote: »
    This seems to be reopened but under a new name.

Anyone got any info or feedback?

Either I'm missing something, or you didn't read any posts on this thread ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Tinker13

:D Post was switched from the Mauzac Tapas Bar thread. Hadn't copped the new name.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eigrod wrote: »
    Either I'm missing something, or you didn't read any posts on this thread ? :confused:

He started a new thread and I merged it with another thread

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,877 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This actually open? The girlfriend went to go this evening, but said it was completely shut. Has it closed already or does it not open on a monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭tc20

Has it closed already or does it not open on a monday?

it is closed mondays, sign in the window states hours of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,877 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

cheers - the GF was too lazy to go up to the window - saw a couple walk up to the door then walk away and left it at that. Lazy wmmins!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Went last night in a group of 7. Food was ok, but not outstanding. We had a few problems; wrong food sent out, things on menu not available, and no non alcoholic drinks that wern't carbonated, but the main problem was when we went to split the bill and we all paid individually. There was a problem at the end with items still on their system that they insisted we had not paid for. None of us appreciated being told that we had caused the problem by being a group, and they expected us to pay the extra! Needless to say, we did not pay for the 'extras'(aka mistakes). Won't be going there again.

There were however, couples who appeared to be having good service, so I think it might be a case of them not coping so well with groups. Don't let our experience put you off. They were very busy there, so maybe it was 'teething problems'.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Greystoner wrote: »
    Went last night in a group of 7. Food was ok, but not outstanding. We had a few problems; wrong food sent out, things on menu not available, and no non alcoholic drinks that wern't carbonated, but the main problem was when we went to split the bill and we all paid individually. There was a problem at the end with items still on their system that they insisted we had not paid for. None of us appreciated being told that we had caused the problem by being a group, and they expected us to pay the extra! Needless to say, we did not pay for the 'extras'(aka mistakes). Won't be going there again.

There were however, couples who appeared to be having good service, so I think it might be a case of them not coping so well with groups. Don't let our experience put you off. They were very busy there, so maybe it was 'teething problems'.

Agreed. Its not that long open. Give it a chance to impress....

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I always find that when dining in groups it is much easier to get one bill, check everything on it, divy it up and get everyone to put their share in between themselves and pay it as one bill to the restaurant. There is no reason to get the restaurant to do this for you.

I havnt been yet but will give it a try and find out. Those complaints appear to be the same complaints the old place got. Hope it isnt the old guys starting up under a new manager and name. I really want the place to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 noital

Went there for dinner last night, and it was a disaster. The food was awful, we both left a lot of food on the plate. Ordered 5 tapas between us but everyone of them was horrible. Even the patatos bravos weren't cooked properly. One thing we both said afterwards was that the food in the old place was nicer!! and u see how long that lasted. They are really going to have to pick it up big time to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jimjay wrote: »
    I always find that when dining in groups it is much easier to get one bill, check everything on it, divy it up and get everyone to put their share in between themselves and pay it as one bill to the restaurant. There is no reason to get the restaurant to do this for you.

yeah, if I'm dining with a group I generally try to bring cash. Having said that the last time I was in Chakra a lot of the other people in the group handed over their credit cards and the waiter just went around with the PIN machine - no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dudser

Went here on sat night and have to say it was very nice, didnt no much bout tapas but the staff were very helpful in explaining everyting ended up getting 5 small tapas between me and my other betr half. Dublin bay prawns were realy nice... All in all a nice evening and not to expensive will definatley be returning....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

i hope this place makes it...greystones needs somewhere you can go for a light bite to eat and a nice drink...sometimes i just dont fancy an 18oz steak!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Homebird73

'Dined' there last night, wasn't impressed. Why has the new owner made the same mistake as the last. Tapas in Spain is an informal snack at a bar, so why the formal 'fine dining' set-up? The decor is bland, it just doesn't have any atmosphere. The owner did try with the barrels on the right but why stop there? The music stopped playing 5 minutes before we left and none of the 6, yes 6!, staff noticed.
    I've heard that the chefs are the real Spanish deal, so why was the food so bland? The steak was underseasoned, the calamari tasted of nothing but oil and the prawns were pretty tasteless. Their wrinkly potatoes with dip was nice but it was one thing in 6 dishes that was. The estrella beer is lovely, but they don't make that.
    Did I complain, no, if it was one thing I'd happily step up and say, but when it's the whole experience there is no point. I hate to be so scathing and I do wish them well, but they'd want to pull it together pretty quick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Ate there last week and was not impressed. The meatballs were good, as were the shrimp, but the other 4 dishes really failed to impress at all. I wish them luck, but the food needs to improve. As does the tapas selection.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Had my first experience last night.

Food and wine was good.
    I felt it was good value.
    The atmosphere was great.

The manager was very kind and helpful.

The only draw back was the menu. I feel the choices could be better.

I rate it 8/10 and will go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Ate there last week and was not impressed. The meatballs were good, as were the shrimp, but the other 4 dishes really failed to impress at all. I wish them luck, but the food needs to improve. As does the tapas selection.

That was exactly the same problem as under the previous management. You'd order six tapas and maybe two would be nice, the rest would be very bland

I hope the managers are reading this post when I tell them to head into Dublin and go into the Port House tapas bar in South William Street. The ambiance, choice on tapas on offer, the wines on offer and especially the quality and price of the dishes is second to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laceyduffy

I was there on Wednesday night for Ladies night and they gave every lady a glass of prosecco. It was the first time I had been there and it certainly will not be my last. Great decor, friendly staff and the selection of tapas were excellent. Seems like a great place to go on a Saturday evening and enjoy a few drinks with some great food!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Sounds good. Which night is gent's night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 laceyduffy

"Ladies night greystones offers a concept developed by Sandra and Sharon, two local business ladies, to offer a fun night out for all the ladies and promote business in the town"!-from ladies night at greystones facebook page! Maybe you could set one up for the gents? Well done to those women for organising a great night and giving a great buzz to the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Spotted notice in window outlining proposed amendment to previously granted permission for development. New toilets and staff canteen to be located on first floor,keg storage to be located in basement. Wonder how long before a badly need pub to challenge the monopoly of current town publican will open to public. Parking of course will be a problem, but most people should and must walk to pubs, with new "drink driving laws" in place!!

laceyduffy wrote: »
    I was there on Wednesday night for Ladies night and they gave every lady a glass of prosecco. It was the first time I had been there and it certainly will not be my last. Great decor, friendly staff and the selection of tapas were excellent. Seems like a great place to go on a Saturday evening and enjoy a few drinks with some great food!
    laceyduffy wrote: »
    "Ladies night greystones offers a concept developed by Sandra and Sharon, two local business ladies, to offer a fun night out for all the ladies and promote business in the town"!-from ladies night at greystones facebook page! Maybe you could set one up for the gents? Well done to those women for organising a great night and giving a great buzz to the town!

Maybe I am being sceptical, but Sandra and Sharon wouldn't have the surnames Duffy and Lacey would they? :pac: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

vinpaul wrote: »
    Spotted notice in window outlining proposed amendment to previously granted permission for development. New toilets and staff canteen to be located on first floor,keg storage to be located in basement. Wonder how long before a badly need pub to challenge the monopoly of current town publican will open to public. Parking of course will be a problem, but most people should and must walk to pubs, with new "drink driving laws" in place!!

Shoudn't be Drinking & Driving in the First Place!

Advertisement