Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dumb/Great Facebook Status {merge} [No Names]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,773 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Zed Bank wrote: »
    So recently I freed myself from the shackles of Facebook. I permanently deleted my account (not deactivated, if your going to do something, do it right) and I've been enjoying my social media free life since.

I mean honestly what's the point of it? I don't feel the need to share every aspect of my life with the world, I had around a thousand friends (990 of which I don't even properly know)

I honestly could give less of a ****e if Mary is sick and John is happy. It's nothing but a tool for narcissistic droolies to take 'selfies' of themselves and look for attention.

Sure, it was great when I was 15 and acting the nob on it, but it's nothing but a marketing tool and i'm not falling for the gimmick anymore.

Rant over :P anyone feel the same way?

Fair play...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

I find it odd that people let something like facebook take over their lives to the extent they feel the need to delete it completely

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I mean honestly what's the point of it? I don't feel the need to share every aspect of my life with the world, I had around a thousand friends (990 of which I don't even properly know)

This is your problem right here. Facebook is never going to look good to you if you have 990 strangers putting up meaningless statuses that pop up on your wall.

However, if you keep it to a list of just your real life friends, you'll figure out that it's actually quite a handy tool for staying in contact with your real life friends, especially if you've recently emigrated. If that means only having 10 Facebook friends then so be it.

As I said, Facebook is a useful tool, but unfortunately, it's the tools that are on it that make it useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Wilberto wrote: »
    This is your problem right here. Facebook is never going to look good to you if you have 990 strangers putting up meaningless statuses that pop up on your wall.

However, if you keep it to a list of just your real life friends, you'll figure out that it's actually quite a handy tool for staying in contact with your real life friends, especially if you've recently emigrated. If that means only having 10 Facebook friends then so be it.

As I said, Facebook is a useful tool, but unfortunately, it's the tools that are on it that make it useless!

Do you mind if I rob that?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

sligojoek wrote: »
    Do you mind if I rob that?

Do I get royalties? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Facebook to me now is just something i use to talk to distant friends i have no phone number for or don't see much. Once every 3 or 4 weeks.

It USED to be a great dating tool until i got a gf....its dangerous now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Saw this today:

"Buncha foreigners moved into the empty house on me road yesterday 2 black ones and der kids. Tippical of this country letting foreigners take our houses. Im on the housing list two years now and im sick waiting. Ive 3 kids and im an irish national. just going to ignore them whenever i see them. biles my blood."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

fussyonion wrote: »
    Saw this today:

"Buncha foreigners moved into the empty house on me road yesterday 2 black ones and der kids. Tippical of this country letting foreigners take our houses. Im on the housing list two years now and im sick waiting. Ive 3 kids and im an irish national. just going to ignore them whenever i see them. biles my blood."

Bet the foreigners have better English than him

Saw this today:

"Biles my blood"

It turns his/her blood into bile?? Well that can't be very healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Wilberto wrote: »
    "Biles my blood"

It turns his/her blood into bile?? Well that can't be very healthy!

I'd say they mean biles it like a kittle :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Saw this today:

I bet that will really break their hearts

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

So recently I freed myself from the shackles of Facebook. I permanently deleted my account (not deactivated, if your going to do something, do it right) and I've been enjoying my social media free life since.

Zed, how did you manage this? I thought bookface doesn't allow you to permanently delete your account unless your lawyer sends them a letter to have your personal information deleted of their servers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

The amount of adds in between songs on the radio is enough to put me in a **** mood today lol

followed by

People who whinge about the most superficial/petty things really do my head in ... The only bad thing in your life is your attitude cxxts

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A selfie queen on my newsfeed has put up ''2 reel 2 be fake''.

I can think of two recent reasons why that isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Omackeral wrote: »
    A selfie queen on my newsfeed has put up ''2 reel 2 be fake''.

I can think of two recent reasons why that isn't true.

Boobs? I bet it's boobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Zed, how did you manage this? I thought bookface doesn't allow you to permanently delete your account unless your lawyer sends them a letter to have your personal information deleted of their servers?

It's fairly complicated, there's steps you have to go through after you deactivate. It then gives you the option to permanently delete (although they keep still information on you). There's a waiting period of two weeks (which is a psychological move on their account to instil doubt in your mind to make you reconsider)

It's more thorough than deactivation but not by much. The main difference being you can't reopen it at a later date. Look it up online for directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

It's fairly complicated, there's steps you have to go through after you deactivate. It then gives you the option to permanently delete (although they keep still information on you). There's a waiting period of two weeks (which is a psychological move on their account to instil doubt in your mind to make you reconsider)

It's more thorough than deactivation but not by much. The main difference being you can't reopen it at a later date. Look it up online for directions.

They'll be as bad the church soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

rawn wrote: »
    It was Facebook. She posted another today, not a selfie, a pic of an icecream on the beach

"Happy Tuesday ☀️.
    #sunny #sunshine #dublin #ireland #icecream #lovely #weather #finally #summer #ishere"

WHY THE HASHTAGS? I really don't get it. Just write a sentence!

Aye, but when if it posted on her instagram (via her phone) it will be posted on her Facebook wall too, with all her 'tags'. They are essentailly metatags, like you find websites using.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

The Snipe wrote: »
    Aye, but when if it posted on her instagram (via her phone) it will be posted on her Facebook wall too, with all her 'tags'. They are essentailly metatags, like you find websites using.

It wasn't via Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,792 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

rawn wrote: »
    It wasn't via Instagram.
    Facebook uses hash tags too, as it has done for quiet some time. I don't see why this confuses so many people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭ronjo

Quazzie wrote: »
    Facebook uses hash tags too, as it has done for quiet some time. I don't see why this confuses so many people.

Probably because it looks idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,792 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ronjo wrote: »
    Probably because it looks idiotic.
    How is it more idiotic on facebook than it is on Instagram or Twitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

He's being edgy! #socool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It's the way they are used that bothers me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

#thatschinatown

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Skeleton XIII

It's the way they are used that bothers me.

I have to admit, every person I see up to this craic goes down a little in my estimation. I know what it's for, but it's always used for the most vacuous ****e.

Another thing that irks me is the status update where certain folks have this little yoke with a smilie after whatever crap they've spouted e.g. "So much college work to do!"feelingstressed:(

Piss off, you attention seeking spa. No one cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Another thing that irks me is the status update where certain folks have this little yoke with a smilie after whatever crap they've spouted e.g. "So much college work to do!"feelingstressed:(

+1, if you need to pick from a list suggested by facebook that you're feeling excited, then you're not very excited. And anyone who's 'feeling blessed' I generally want to do physical damage to. It usually can be translated as 'feeling like showing off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Just witnessed.... "Why the fk dus Neymar play for brazzil when hes spanish ffs...he plays for barceloma"

Exact spelling (copy and pasted).

Fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

"Well bn a long and emotional day yep im a softie when it cums to my kids and im proud to say it bn a single mam has to be the hardest job in the world but im so glad ive rared them they way I have and love ye ta bits ‪#‎proudmum‬.comxxx"

Attention seeking at it's finest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Nib wrote: »
    "Well bn a long and emotional day yep im a softie when it cums to my kids and im proud to say it bn a single mam has to be the hardest job in the world but im so glad ive rared them they way I have and love ye ta bits ‪#‎proudmum‬.comxxx"

Attention seeking at it's finest.

I don't like the spelling of 'cum' in the context of orgasm, but "when it cums to my kids" oh lord between us and all harm! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement