Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

dardhal wrote: »
    d) I understand the change of ownerships is something the seller has to sort himself. How about car insurance, can you sign for a policy in advance (I hope so :-) ), go to the seller's place, exchange money / log book / keys / etc., and take the car back home, and that's all on the buyers TODO list?

About the insurance. If you get the registration number in advance you can ring around insurers and brokers and get a quote specific to that car. They can send you on documents in the post.

If you go and view the car then you can ring the insurance company/broker and pay over the phone with a credit/laser card (check in advance whether they are willing to do this. Most of them seem to be willing to do it).

Then you can post to the insurance company any documentation they want, like you probably have to sign something, might have to give them a copy of your licence and so on. Then they can send you on the insurance disc (personally, other than getting the car home, I'm not going to drive the car until I get the insurance disc for fear of getting penalty points. I'm not sure if you really would get penalty points for this sort of situation as there would be no way of having the disc prior to viewing and buying the car).

So you should be able to basically be set up to get the insruance in advance but not actually insure the car until after you see it. But check what the working hours of the insurer/broker are so you can ring them straight away after viewing the car.

Hope this helps. I'm just about to buy my first car so have been checking all this out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The only way you'd get in trouble for no disc is if you parked it in town. What's i've seen people to is write "Awaiting disc, Policy no. ________"

• Registered Users Posts: 15 virux

@ Limerick man
    Thanks alot for such a help, its a great post.

Actually I'm looking to buy a car for myself. I'm interested in Yaris as I heard lots of good words about them. I was wondering if you could suggest me some place where I can buy it in Limerick (I'm limerick based) or can you help me in finding a car?

It will be my first car, and having said that, I would not take chance to get screwed:D

So what you suggest,

Yaris
    Max 2003
    under 100k

I may similarly consider Corolla!

thanks!!:)

What's your budget OP?

Yaris's demand a premium over other cars of the same year.

My budget is 3k max.

But they say its worth it as its reliable.It would be my first car in Ireland and I have full time 9-5 job. So I need a reliable car.

what you suggest!!

• Advertisement

Yeah a Yaris or a Micra should do the job nicely.

3 or 4 door or is there a preference?

You should be able to get yourself a decent car or that caliber for 3k.

I prefer 4 door as I have friends and habit of throwing stuff at back seat (as I don't like opening boot for every little thing)

and somehow micra's shape doesn't appeal me at all! :rolleyes:

So should I go to some Garage or try my luck on DD?..

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Hi Folks,

My sister inlaw is looking at this car, any thoughts. I'm going to have it inspected, but any feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.olivergeoghegancarsales.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=2

No link to any specific car there but they all look well presented!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Its the Ford Fiesta (Ford Fiesta 1.25 TITANIUM *ALLOYS+FOGS+A/C* €225 TAX )

The fourth on the list

Thanks

http://www.olivergeoghegancarsales.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭granty1892

Hi Folks,

Looking to buy a Ford Focus around 07/08 prefabably 1.4 but i know realistically i'll end up with a 1.6.
    Now my budget is only AROUND €5k so i've gotta expect slight high mileage.

Have you any advice in relation to this?
    Do you think i'm asking alot for my budget?

cheers

I was going to have a look at a car in Galway but after doing a Motor check it appears to have been clocked at some point (though the current seller may be unaware of this). This is what came up on the report

Odometer Contradiction:YesReading you entered:42,205 Mls Previous Readings:06/08/2010 55,000 Mls

Also no tax for years, and possible recall as well by the manufacturer (I didn't bother to check that out obviously with the other issues). So I'm going to have a look at another one which has mileage so high it is very unlikely to have been clocked :P

Mods I hope it is ok to post this.

You're fine to post as you haven't posted a reg or anything.

Why someone would clocked a car with 55k miles on it though is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Hi Lads

Just looking at a 3dr 04 golf at the moment. I have done a mywheels check and its comes up that the car is a 5dr!

It has been previously brought in from the uk. Would there have been a mix up along the way?

You're fine to post as you haven't posted a reg or anything.

Why someone would clocked a car with 55k miles on it though is beyond me.

Yes I thought that was weird as well.

I'm hoping to buy a different car now and the seller is bringing it to the mechanic my family use to have a look at first.

Limerick Man thanks a million for your car buying tips at the beginning of this thread.

Hi Lads

Just looking at a 3dr 04 golf at the moment. I have done a mywheels check and its comes up that the car is a 5dr!

It has been previously brought in from the uk. Would there have been a mix up along the way?

Check it on cartell.ie and motorcheck.ie as well. (The free checks)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Check it on cartell.ie and motorcheck.ie as well. (The free checks)

Ye its come up as 5dr and 5dr when I checked for insurance on 123 with the reg too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any clues about the bargaining power/price reduction you would expect to have on buying a used car from a main dealer around the 22/23k mark ?

How much of a reduction should i be expecting so i have a rough idea in my head.
    Can do ok with haggling, just like us all, want to drive the price down as much as possible.

Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Howdy Limerick Man and esteemed motor guru's.

I'm travelling to a dealer to look at a car shortly, I've a question about payment, or what is the best way to handle it. The funds are in my a/c, ready to go.

(While I'm planning to view in a few places before buying) lets just say he meets my offerred price and we agree the deal.
    What happens then? Should I leave a deposit and agree to come back in the next day or two with a bank draft? If so, how much should you leave?

Or is it the norm to just agree a deal and then come back to collect the vehicle along with payment without handing anything over? I could bring the cheque book but I doubt they are welcome in the trade.

Advice appreciated!

miguelk wrote: »
    Howdy Limerick Man and esteemed motor guru's.

I'm travelling to a dealer to look at a car shortly, I've a question about payment, or what is the best way to handle it. The funds are in my a/c, ready to go.

(While I'm planning to view in a few places before buying) lets just say he meets my offerred price and we agree the deal.
    What happens then? Should I leave a deposit and agree to come back in the next day or two with a bank draft? If so, how much should you leave?

Or is it the norm to just agree a deal and then come back to collect the vehicle along with payment without handing anything over? I could bring the cheque book but I doubt they are welcome in the trade.

Advice appreciated!

Sorry! How did you get on?

• Advertisement

Sorry! How did you get on?

Going this evening LM.

Just to ad, done my homework and the car has checked out ok.

The dealer is 2 - 3 hours drive for me so I want to go prepared as I won't be just able to pop in easily.

Going this evening LM.

Just to ad, done my homework and the car has checked out ok.

The dealer is 2 - 3 hours drive for me so I want to go prepared as I won't be just able to pop in easily.

Any link?

Any link?

My browser is acting up, i'll send on the link once i get to the page again!TBH I'm wondering more about the payment method rather than the motor itself LM if you could help me out there in the mean time.

PM'd the link

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jonnybangbang

My brother sold a car recently ( last three months ) on a website. the milleage was very high on it at the time so it went cheap enough. Almost 200,000 miles on the odometer. Two weeks after he selling it it was back up on the same website but magically there were 80,000 less miles on it.

How can you ensure against things like the mileage being clocked?

My brother sold a car recently ( last three months ) on a website. the milleage was very high on it at the time so it went cheap enough. Almost 200,000 miles on the odometer. Two weeks after he selling it it was back up on the same website but magically there were 80,000 less miles on it.

How can you ensure against things like the mileage being clocked?

You can't insure anything.

Best thing you can do is to do a history check yourself before you sell the car, that way the mileage is recorded on system.

PM'd the link

That's alot of money. i personally would get a draft made out for a thousand less, or maybe two. Bring that and the rest in cash for bargaining room.

That's alot of money. i personally would get a draft made out for a thousand less, or maybe two. Bring that and the rest in cash for bargaining room.

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't thinking of going with a draft and ready to go, as the chances are I'll be checking in 2/3 more dealerships before buying. It's more for the event that we come across the right one, do we need a bit of cash on hand as a deposit to secure.

Great advice in the thread btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.6-Zete/201204206751689/advert?channel=CARS

Anyone think this is a good deal. Friend in work is selling it and said he'd give it to me for 3k?

• Advertisement

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.6-Zete/201204206751689/advert?channel=CARS

Anyone think this is a good deal. Friend in work is selling it and said he'd give it to me for 3k?

Meh.

2,500 would be a good deal.

Advertisement