Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

realies wrote: »
    http://www.caspain.eu/2015-convention/

This where I spending this weekend,it's a convention for cocaine and alcohol addictions in estapona Spain, it's a great buzz with the hotel booked out with people from all over the world,you just can't beat the buzz of being around like minded people :-)

Have you not been off it 20 years or something? You give good advice but have you not left that part of you behind at this stage? Do you not get sick of this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Have you not been off it 20 years or something? You give good advice but have you not left that part of you behind at this stage? Do you not get sick of this stuff?

Nope just of it seven years this January.
    Giving my opinions and advice costs me nothing in time nor money, The advice was given to me I just passing it on.
    Going to a confention with 100,s of people who are all on the same road and with the same goals is one of the best buzzes I ever had,and I have had quite a few of them,

Nothing impacts a still-suffering alcoholic/addict more than hearing the language of the heart from another alcoholic/addict in recovery."

Hello all,

So lovely reading through this thread. It's really a very special place.

I'm doing well today thankfully: I'm just over 11 months sober & life is so much better than this time last year. I was so broken - inside & out.... It's so worth it & we all deserve to live a healthy life :-)
    A year today for me,when I look back at me this time last year Jesus I was a mess,.

That's fantastic Evasion Kid! Super well done. I'm not too far behind you so I've a bit of an idea of what the past year has been like... Life is good this Monday morning tho thankfully :-)
    I am 2 years alcohol free now today. Feels great but time is flying by.

So many positives from a alcohol free life. It has not been easy. Had to turn my back on alot of my social life and friends. Great having money to buy things that I want. Got promoted in work during this time, saved money, regained interest in former hobbies, plan to do more travelling now, lost weight and mentally feel so much better.

"It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    GerB40 wrote: »
    Today I'm 17 months sober. I've transformed as a person and it's only lately I can admit to how well I've done
    Kunkka wrote: »
    4 years sober tomorrow. Been the best decision I've ever made.
    petes wrote: »
    Day 7 :o I'm an alcoholic. Anyway, onwards and upwards as they say :)
    2 months today for me. Also Equals to the day the longest ever off it since I started drinking back at age seventeen (Over 25 years ago).

PS - Down Twelve Pounds also in weight.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Winston Churchill

Well done everyone and it shows folks it can be done and life does get better :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I am feeling better because of it, the Xanax is probably helping a lot as I suffered from fairly bad anxiety. I drank to calm that but obviously makes it worse so couldn't stop and now as they say I can't lift the first drink!

Going to the AA meetings but I'm still not sure about them, wasn't sure before a few years ago when I went for 6 weeks. It is good to hear other peoples experiences though and I have shared. I probably wouldn't share as much without the meds. Can't share everything though which is why I have an addiction counsellor ringing me back today for an appointment. I've seen him twice before and he is good but sure I had 3 or 4 pints in me before going to see him!! I don't know if anyone wants to read any of this but sure I'll type it out anyway. I had to move home to my parents for a few weeks, might be dead now or in rehab if I didn't.

I'm going to keep going to meetings and see where they lead, if anything it helps keep me grounded.

Realies, I've read a few of your posts on here and they offer a lot of insight and I enjoy reading them so cheers for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 alittlescared

21 days today.
    All going good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

4 years sober tomorrow. Been the best decision I've ever made.

Well done Kunkka :)

I'm a few months off it again now having dabbled again for a while.

Very happy to be off it.. feeling very content and not missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Well done everyone, keep posting here, trust me it will make you feel better & so many people here can help.

QUOTE=xzanti;97323602]Well done Kunkka :)

I'm a few months off it again now having dabbled again for a while.

Very happy to be off it.. feeling very content and not missing it.[/QUOTE]

Cheers :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Back on the wagon after a slip last weekend. I was relying too much on my anti-craving medication and not enough on going to AA meetings.

I was honest and up front with my sponsor and he was very understanding - I was a bit afraid he might have dropped me but he has been supportive. I'm very grateful to have this support.

Well, sober today and happy. Onwards and upwards!

Fair play for getting back on the wagon!!

Was at a meeting earlier and have one at 8 in the morning before work, then a counsellor meeting after work.

I'm doing okay, still not sure about aa as I mentioned but I do get the benefit of the meetings and listening/sharing. Someone said never mind the 12 steps at the minute or maybe ever, just come in and put your bum on the seat so that's what I'm doing. One day (sometimes 1 hour) at a time.

11 days sober and I'm going to continue like that because physically I feel better ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Fair play for getting back on the wagon!!

Was at a meeting earlier and have one at 8 in the morning before work, then a counsellor meeting after work.

I'm doing okay, still not sure about aa as I mentioned but I do get the benefit of the meetings and listening/sharing. Someone said never mind the 12 steps at the minute or maybe ever, just come in and put your bum on the seat so that's what I'm doing. One day (sometimes 1 hour) at a time.

11 days sober and I'm going to continue like that because physically I feel better ☺

This "back on the wagon" malarkey needs to go. Alcoholism is a serious illness, not a health fad one can "jump on" (and off).
    The truth is, if you are a real alcoholic, you can never drink again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Amazingfun wrote: »
    This "back on the wagon" malarkey needs to go. Alcoholism is a serious illness, not a health fad one can "jump on" (and off).
    The truth is, if you are a real alcoholic, you can never drink again.

It's just a figure of speech...

GerB40 wrote: »
    It's just a figure of speech...

Exactly. An alcoholic can't ever drink again. If only it was that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Exactly. An alcoholic can't ever drink again. If only it was that simple.

It is simple. It's just not easy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Good reading. Thanks to everyone.

Turned 40 this year. Lost the best girl I ever met in my life , not totally because of drink but it was defiantly a factor.

Come from a long line of drunks on both sides of my family. They all still drink. My father is a life long alco. I've been bought up in drink.

After the relationship ended, I just drank everyday for 7 months, live on my own in the country, bad habits set in. Before that I'd be pissed 5 nights out of 7, hungover in between, that would be my pattern for as long as I can remember.

So, got a mad dose of flu and got pissed to medicate myself thru it, I was so dog sick after, not even hung over, just 'flat' mentally, emotionally, physically I decided to dry out for 30 days, because I feared I could not do it.

To my amazement I did not drink for 53 days. First few weeks were hard but once the habit fades a bit, it gets easier.

On Friday night something hit me and I got 5 bottles of Spaten. Drank 4 and poured the fifth down the sink. Got no good buzz of it and was rotten hung over Sat, after 4 beers ,lol. I thought I did not get hangovers anymore....

So, I'm back to day 2 now, but I think it was actually good for me to have those few beers cause I think its made me seriously consider stopping forever, rather than just a 30 day thing. This is the first break from drink in 24 years.

I'll be the first non drinker in my family. I've noticed my not drinking makes them feel awkward around me. Thats weird.

So, yeah, fell off the wagon, but I'm glad I did cause I feel its focused me on the future and maybe a future without drink.

One thing I have to admit to though is I smoke a bit of grass now and then, like every few weeks. For now , thats a vice that stays, but who knows, maybe that will get the boot at some point also.

Benifits:

My moods are way, way, more stable, not up or down all the time, just a lot more level in myself.
    Less anxiety
    Lost 15 pounds and counting, all my jeans are falling off me, big surprise.
    Look years younger I think
    Feel a lot healthier
    No more muscle aches or pains - big surprise, I thought this was just me being 40, nope, it was the drink not letting my body heal its self
    No more acid indgestion
    I really notice the extra cash, its like having a new source of income not drinking.
    I'm up early every day, not hung over.
    I'm getting on a lot better with me Mammy ( who likes a drink herself)

Cons:
    Boredem - this can be tackled and I am.
    I do miss red wine
    My brother is my best friend and I see him every few months, we always get wasted together. I have not seen him since I've been sober.
    Im a bit worried about my sober relationship with him, he is great either way, its just I aint been sober with him since we were 14 like...
    Dating as a non drinker - this will be new to me.

So day 2, I have no real plan except I'm not going to drink.

For me, its not as hard as I always thought it would be, dont get me wrong, its bloody hard sometimes, but I hope I can do this.

I'm going to uses this thread to keep me honest , and get inspired from you guys.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, its all been very internal the last 2 months ;)

Rick

If you've read any of my posts I could near write that word for word. The one thing that I never lost was my family, simple reason being I didn't live at home.

There is a lot of habit and routine for me as for most but I drank on problems and anxiety which then made me a full blown alcoholic.

Have you been to any AA meetings? I'm not pushing them at all, I'm not religious or anything but I find they help. Someone said in one 'never mind about the 12 steps et.' just keep getting your bum on a seat and that's what I'm doing, was at one at 8 this morning.

I met a friend for coffee on Saturday and he said I looked like a new man and that was only after 10 days sober and looking after myself (well my mammy was looking after me)

The boredom got to me yesterday as I don't follow sport and my parents place is rural but still only a mile away from a village. I was actually looking forward to work today...eh....that never happened before :)

Throw down your thoughts in here as even typing it out will help.

More importantly take care of yourself. Since I started posting in here I've found the posters very nice :) Day 12 and yes I am counting and will continue to do one day at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Hay petes,
    Yes, I suspect our story/pattern is a common one across the country. I suppose it gets to the stage where you just have to admit something to yourself, like your doing something wrong here.
    I'm kinda scared of the future if I keep going down this path. Drink has cut a swathe of destruction through generations of my family and the thought of ending up in the same place spooks me.
    Its not just hard partying, hard living good times of my youth anymore, drink is being drunk for its own sake.
    Im kinda getting angry and resentful at drink itself for what its done to a lot of people around me. I've had 4 uncles die before 60 in recent years due to drink, /issues that drink causes. They would still be here if not for drinking, basically.
    No AA for me, I dont think its my thing at this stage but I'm seeing how I handle all of this as its a completely new venture , sobriety.
    Ive done some counseling before so Im not adverse to getting some support.
    A big thing I think, is , regardless of how you feel underneath it all Alcohol is such a bloody depressant. You could be on top of the world, but drinking everyday gonna pull you down.
    I dont feel 'great' as such but I do feel lighter in my mood and outlook without it in my system all the time.
    Keeping busy is the best weapon at the moment.
    Day 3 , but they way Im looking at it is Ive have 4 beers in 2 months, think positive!
    Thanks

) Getting sober and living sober are two different things. In fact, they are two completely different phases of recovery. Early recovery is nothing like being 2, 4, or 8 years sober. It is so different that many people relapse because they never move past the initial phase of recovery where they are just hanging on for dear life to stay sober. This no longer works after a few months in recovery and eventually you have to start growing as a person in order to maintain positive direction in your life. Beware staying stuck in early recovery strategies. If you depend on group therapy after a few years in recovery, then something is wrong….

2) Convincing others to take action in terms of getting clean and sober is very, very difficult. Most people would say that it is impossible to force another person to give up drugs and alcohol, and that the decision must come from the individual alone. It is possible to influence an addict through practicing detachment and becoming aware of how not to enable the person in your life. This takes practice and most people need help to learn how to do it well.

3) Spirituality is but one piece of the solution. An holistic path makes more sense. Do not get so wrapped up in a spiritual quest that you neglect the other basic elements of your life. Balance is key. Most people who become overly zealous regarding spiritual matters in early recovery end up relapsing. Holistic growth is a stronger path.

4) Most addicts and alcoholics in early recovery are going to relapse. There is hope for everyone, of course, but time spent in recovery will reveal the truth of this numbers game to you. This is why most recovery programs advocate strength through a fellowship rather than through an individual. Individuals have a tendency to fail. “The fellowship” remains sober. Only individuals screw up and relapse…..

5) Dependence on programs, group therapy, counseling, or meetings is certainly better than active addiction if you manage to stay clean and sober, but it is still not an ideal lifestyle for most people. If you want to experience real growth in recovery then eventually you will need to lose these dependencies. Note that you can still attend meetings, therapy, etc. without being dependent on it. It’s about balance and keeping your “need for recovery” in check. Recovery is about living, not about therapy…

6) Almost everybody makes the mistake of crediting success in recovery with the tactics that got them sober. They might say “This program saved my life.” This is faulty logic. The truth is any sensible program would have saved their life, because they were finally willing to put in the work. No program of recovery has any magic in it whatsoever. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that your salvation lies in the method. It is only in the application that you will succeed or fail in recovery.

7) Progress is vital in recovery. If you are not improving, chances are you are regressing toward relapse. Traditional recovery programs emphasize this as well. Stagnation is poison. If you get too comfortable, too bored, too complacent….then you are no longer really growing. If you are not facing some fear in your life then you are likely not making huge growth. The path of growth is a path of courage….

8) Clean time matters. Many will claim it does not, and nearly everyone will pay lip service to the idea that clean time is not important. This is all a big show. Don’t believe it for a second.

In my opinion, what matters regarding clean time is that some people have what we could call “significant clean time,” and others do not. Now what is “significant?” Well, say there is a person who tends to relapse every couple of months. They might even make it to a year or 18 months, but they have been continuously relapsing like this while being in and out of recovery over the last ten years. Right now they have 9 months clean again. Is that “significant clean time?” Not in my book it is not.

Time matters. I am not sure we can put a number on it, and say that “2 years or longer is significant” or anything like that. But I think in the real world it is pretty easy to identify those with significant time in recovery, and I think it is important. Clean time matters. Having significant time matters.

Many people will also argue and try to say that clean time does not equal “quality recovery,” or that long years of sobriety do not impart special wisdom, and so on. I pretty much disagree with this as well, though I realize there are exceptions. When I was brand new in recovery, who do you think I was taking advice from?–people with 10 years of sobriety, or people with ten days?

Yeah….clean time matters. When they tell you that it doesn’t, RUN.

9) A spiritual guru once said: “If you only have time to either meditate or exercise, always choose the exercise.” The reason he said that is because exercise includes meditation, but has additional benefit as well. My best meditation sessions have always been while exercising. Not that meditation is useless…it is just that exercise is usually superior for most people (though they hate to admit it due to laziness!).

10) They are racing to find a medical cure for addiction. So far they have not found anything that even comes close to being a “cure.” It seems likely that the pharmaceutical industry will never fully “cure” addiction. So, don’t count on it. Also, realize that existing medications that are used to help treat addiction are nowhere near as effective as people would hope them (or expect them) to be.

11) Going to rehab is not a cure. But, it is usually better than nothing. And, it might be the necessary break that a person needs to get a clean start in life. But if you pin all of your hopes on a trip to rehab, you may be in for disappointment. Rehab cannot produce willingness. It cannot change a person’s desire to get clean and sober. It cannot force people to want to live a new life.

12) Surrender is important. No one can be forced to get clean and sober against their will, until they are fully ready. There is one organization that specializes in helping YOU to help your loved one to get more “ready.” That organization is called Al-anon. You can’t force them to change, but you can stop enabling them, and thus bring them closer to their moment of surrender based on your actions. Consistency is key.

13) Switching from one drug to another trips up many addicts and alcoholics in recovery. They rationalize that their real drug of choice is something else, so they think they can get away with one pill, one puff, or one drink of some other substance. The insidious thing is that they actually CAN get away with it at first…..what they don’t realize is that the process of addiction has already started over, and will take but a short time for them to be back to their drug of choice. Substances that fall into this category of addiction include alcohol, marijuana, opiates (painkillers and heroin), and most anxiety medications (such as Xanax, Valium, etc.). Some sleeping medications can trigger people too. And of course all street drugs are cause for relapse as well. It is all about what sets you “off to the races.” Best to be really clear about what you are NOT going to put into your body….

14) Bias is rampant in recovery. Learn from this, and do not be misled by it. For example, the people in any recovery group are self selecting, and are going to be clean and sober, obviously (else they would be out getting drunk instead). But this does not necessarily mean that everyone who attends that group or that program will meet with success. Yet, this is the manner in which many people try to justify their choice of recovery program, through this error in logic that deals with self selecting groups. The winners stick around, but this is true of ANY recovery program.

Other types of bias can misinform people in recovery as well, such as the “successful path in recovery bias.” Anyone who got clean and sober through method X thinks that method X is the only way that could possibly work for anyone else. These are potentially very dangerous biases that can mislead others in early recovery.

15) If you have lots of friends in recovery, most of them will relapse, and a few of them will die. This will repeat itself every 5 to 10 years. Suggestion: find a mix of stable friends outside of recovery too!

16) Part of the path in recovery should include quitting smoking. Why? Because it is another step toward wellness. The holistic path will eliminate bad habits such as smoking. Many in early recovery hang on to this habit for a few years, but eventually people realize that they are still using nicotine to self medicate with, and that it is killing them. Also, those who manage to quit smoking in recovery have less tendency to relapse on drugs and alcohol, too. So quitting smoking is like insurance against relapse.

17) No one has a monopoly on recovery strategies. That is why some people recover in AA, some recover in religious programs, and some just get creative and carve their own path. If someone tells you that their program is the only way to recover, RUN. They are dangerous.

18) Success builds on itself in recovery. Those who are experiencing good things in recovery tend to experience more good things, in other areas of their life. The process is holistic. Negativity is a disease that will drag you down. Thus, you have to find the motivation to be positive and remain positive in order to make good things happen in your life. Once the ball is rolling, more growth becomes easier to achieve. Trying to add too much “success” all at once is probably a bad strategy. Mastering one positive change at a time can be very empowering, however. For example, stop using drugs and alcohol, then find some stability. Then, start exercising again. Go slow and achieve a rhythm in your life. Master one positive change at a time, or risk being overwhelmed in early recovery.

19) We are nowhere near a cure for addiction. Treating substance abuse and addiction is a very young field. The best recovery programs in the world offer poor success rates. There is no magic cure as of yet. Drug rehabs can help, but success rates remain low. The best bet in recovery is to hit bottom, become willing, and ask for help. No one has figured out how to make all of that happen at will.

Interestingly, there is one recovery program that does offer a 70 percent success rate, but it is targeted only at doctors. Some people look at this program (known as PHP) and argue that we could replicate this for other people in the general population, but I disagree. The program consists of a 5 year plan and includes many traditional forms of treatment and therapy and 12 step support. However, the reason I don’t think it can be replicated is because of the accountability. The doctors have to do frequent random drug screens for the entire 5 years, and they risk losing their livelihood if they fail a drug test. This, combined with the fact that they are doctors living a certain level of lifestyle, is what produces the 70 percent success rate.

Try to replicate this among the general population. Try to replicate this among people who scrape change together every day to buy a half pint of gin. Try to replicate this among a truly random group of addicts. You won’t get anywhere near 70 percent success rates.

We still have a long way to go….

20) Willingness cannot be manufactured out of thin air. The addict has to earn it through pain. Generally, the addict does not choose to change their life and quit drinking when everything is going good. This is part of why learning how to stop enabling them is so critical. If you are constantly putting band-aids on their problems, it allows them to continue their addiction without having to make major changes.

21) Religion is not the answer for most people. It does work for some, but it fails for so many people as a solution that it should definitely not be forced on people as the only path to sobriety. If it does work for someone, that is great, and there is nothing wrong with that. But do not expect it to become the default solution for recovery in the future.

22) Outpatient rehab is less than ideal. Long term rehab is very powerful. Mysteriously, success rates for these different types of treatment do not differ by large amounts. It is all about willingness and surrender, rather than the methods we use to get clean and sober. One rule of thumb: if a certain level of treatment has failed for you in the past, then try a more intense solution next time (counseling, outpatient, inpatient, long term, and so on).

23) Gratitude is a powerful strategy. You can get by without it and stay sober, it is just harder to do so, and less enjoyable. When you practice being grateful, good things keep happening, and they get emphasized in your mind. Remember another of our tenants here: success breeds success. Choosing to recognize the good in each situation will spur you into positive action. Give thanks, and life will give you more to be thankful for.

24) Success in early recovery can be measured by the amount of massive change the addict makes. If they make little changes, then they will probably relapse quickly. If they make huge changes in their life, then they have a shot at success. Huge changes would include things such as living in long term rehab or completely restructuring your life from the ground up with recovery and helping others in mind.

25) Fellowship is important (finding others who are on the same path as you are, with the same basic goals) but it is not the only thing in recovery. For many people, the fellowship in a recovery program becomes the driving force in their recovery. You cannot stay sober in the long run unless you find your own path of personal growth outside of the fellowship. That does not mean a person has to quit going to meetings, or that they cannot attend a recovery program. It just means that they have to find the drive to grow as a person outside of those programs. You cannot live in recovery meetings for the rest of your life. Life demands living.

26) Being cocky in early recovery is almost always a sign of impending failure. Being overly confident or even modestly confident is a sign that the person is not yet at their bottom, and cannot possibly go through the massive change that is necessary to stay sober. The sacrifice is too great, and the person has to really be miserable in order to commit to the level of change we are talking about. Being well educated about recovery is not a problem, but being sure of what you know about recovery when you have 30 days sober is a huge warning sign.

27) Intentions are worthless in recovery. Only action matters. Find a few positive actions that you can take every day, and then do them. Execute. Don’t dream about a nice life in recovery, actually put the steps down in front of you that you need to take to get there and then start moving forward. For me this meant living in long term rehab, getting a job, going back to school, regular exercise, and so on. It was not about manifesting stuff through happy thinking. It was more about setting some simple goals and then moving toward them. Take action if you want results. Be prepared to take a long slow road to success. It is much more stable once you get there…..

28) The typical addict or alcoholic is motivated to change primarily through pain. Offer them a lavish lifestyle and all the money in the world if they stop using drugs and this will never be enough. But if they become miserable they just might do something about their problem. This is why in Al-anon they teach people to stop enabling others. If you are denying an addict of their pain then you are preventing them from moving closer to change. You don’t have to deliberately try to hurt the addict. Just let them have the pain they create for themselves. It will be the thing that drives them to change one day.

29) Feeling sorry for yourself? Better knock that off, and quick. Really that is the entire solution to self pity and anyone who notices that they have a tendency to feel sorry for themselves had better watch out in recovery. It is as destructive as resentments and a whole lot easier to justify, so you need to have a hyper-awareness when it comes to self pity and have a zero tolerance policy for it. Do not allow yourself the indulgence, ever again. Time to make progress and move forward in your life, rather than dwell on how the world has done you wrong. Self pity leads only to relapse…..

30) Forgiveness can be a huge part of recovery. Depending on your resentments and how much they influence your addiction, forgiving others might be a really big factor in your recovery. For some addicts and alcoholics it is like the entire key to their new life in recovery. In such cases, their addiction has been fueled by massive resentments against others, and they cannot find any peace in their life until they let go of this anger through forgiveness.

Forgiving someone is a process that can be deliberately chosen. It might take some work, and it might take some therapy. But it can be done, at will, and it can bring tremendous relief to some people. It will vary from person to person as to how much this might influence their recovery. But for some, it is potentially huge.

31) Reaching out to help others in recovery is probably in the top 3 most effective strategies (the other 2 being gratitude and exercise). Helping others in recovery is really powerful, because of the benefits that the individual gets from doing so. First of all it makes you feel good to help others, and directly protects you against relapse. Second of all it actually helps someone else, so it is a win-win situation that helps everyone. Third of all, you are spreading good karma when you help others that can (and often does) come back to directly help you out in the future. Finally, if you are teaching others when you are helping them, then this helps you by reinforcing the lessons for your own self improvement. You learn more deeply when you transfer your knowledge to others.

32) Considering overall health is important in recovery. What good is it to quit drugs and alcohol if you are going to get even sicker by some other means? Sometimes we make the mistake in recovery of equating a relapse with death. In fact, death is a lot more serious than a relapse, and anyone who disagrees with this is not doing their math correctly.

For example, I have seen smokers in recovery who had congestive heart failure, but could not stop smoking because they thought it would cause them to relapse on alcohol. They have since died.

Many alcoholics and addicts who end up relapsing end up doing so after a medical complication sends their life into a tail spin. Overall health is important for maintaining recovery. This is what makes the holistic approach so important. Diet, exercise, and nutrition should never be completely off the table. These are things that should be central to our recovery strategy. Good health gives us a better chance at recovery. Poor health leads to complications and increases the chances for relapse (and death).

Success in recovery should include a push for greater health. If it does not, then there are self esteem issues holding you back.

33) Real self esteem in addiction recovery has to be built from the ground up. There is a school of thought out there that believes that self esteem can be generated through thought alone. I am not of that belief. My opinion is that real self esteem is generated through taking action. My own experience has proven this for me time and time again.

Action is the key. In fact, I have tried things, and failed, but still benefited with an increase in self esteem simply from having taken action. To do nothing and sit idle is the worse thing when you are trying to affect change.

What type of action? Well the core principles for me have always been focusing on these three things: personal growth, pursuing greater health, and helping others. If you take action along those lines every single day, then you are going to start gradually feeling better and better about yourself.

But the key, for me, was not to expect miracles from affirmations alone. I had to get out there and actually do some stuff in recovery, in order to start feeling better about myself.

34) Simplifying your life can boost your recovery greatly. Reducing chaos is a great strategy. Minimalism has many advantages in recovery, though it is not necessary to be an extremist about it. You might try reducing clutter (physical stuff), eliminating toxic relationships from your life, and reducing your overall obligations. Doing one of these (or all of them) can free up a tremendous amount of mental energy and reduce chaos and stress in your life.

You don’t have to go overboard with minimalism to reap the benefits. Just give a few things a try and see what affect it has on your level of serenity.

35) Complacency kills. In fact, this is the only real long term challenge in recovery from drug addiction and alcoholism. Everything else is just mere details. But getting lazy about personal growth is the final challenge, because it is really the only way to regress back into our addictive mode. If you are not pushing yourself to grow in recovery, then you might be getting closer to relapse. One of the best ways to fight against this is to constantly challenge yourself to improve your own health and to reach out and help others in new ways. Doing these things is a hedge against the danger of becoming complacent.

36) Always be in learning mode. This is critical for success, especially in early recovery. So much of what it is going to take to stay clean and sober in the long run is a mystery when you are first entering recovery. Therefore it makes sense that you should focus on learning as your main priority. Figure out what works for you and what actually helps you to stay clean and sober. You might want to politely ignore most suggestions and instead see what actually helps you instead of just taking other people’s word for it. For example, physical exercise has helped me a lot more than 12 step meetings, but can you guess which one gets recommended more frequently?

Everyone has different needs and priorities in their life, and so certain recovery strategies might work better for some rather than others. Experimentation is key. Be ready to learn about yourself and how recovery works best for you. If you are not open to experimenting and being eager to learn then this process will not go as smoothly.

37) The younger you are, the more you need long term rehab. Also: the longer you’ve been using, the more you need long term rehab. I’m a big believer in long term rehab, even though it does not really work as frequently as I think it should. The bottom line, for me anyway, is that long term rehab is the most comprehensive solution we have for addiction right now. In other words, you can’t get more intense or higher quality treatment than living in a long term treatment center. This becomes especially true if the long term treatment includes regular therapy with an individual therapist. While I don’t necessarily push the 12 step program, living in a 12 step based long term treatment center is still a really good option, in my opinion.

There are many who would probably disagree with these ideas. But what are the alternatives to long term rehab? If nothing else works then I think it is worth it to give long term a try.

Because young people are so heavily influenced by peers, I think long term is almost necessary for them to get a clean break from their environmental influences.

I wish long term treatment where the ultimate solution, but it is definitely not. It’s just one of the more powerful tools that we have to fight addiction with. But most people who attend long term will not take advantage of the massive amount of support and structure that they are given there, unfortunately. For what it is worth, long term rehab really helped me (when other solutions had failed).

38) New relationships can be dangerous in early recovery. The tendency for single people to enter into a new, romantic relationship in early recovery and then relapse is so much more common then anyone would first guess. You have to see it to believe it. I lived in long term treatment and watched literally dozens of people relapse in early recovery, almost always due to a failed relationship. This is a very strong tendency and the reason is because a new relationship completely replaces the need for recovery.

In other words, if you can latch on to a new romance in early recovery, then the need to work on yourself and push for personal growth completely vanishes. Someone loves you exactly as you are, and it feels wonderful! So why should you push yourself to grow and change, when you could just kick back and enjoy this awesome new feeling called love?

This happens over and over again in early recovery and it never ends well. If it is too early then it is too early. Some say wait a year….I say, wait until you are happy and content with your life while being single. Only then can you safely contribute to a meaningful relationship.

39) Your idea of fun will shift after staying clean and sober for a while. For the longest time, I did not believe this would be true for me if I stopped using drugs and alcohol. The problem was, I had used drinking and drugging as my means of recreation for so long, that I refused to believe that anything else could be fun for me again.

This is typical of addiction. When you are addicted to a chemical (such as alcohol or any other drug), then you get into the habit of using it to medicate nearly every situation in your life. Going to the movies? Gotta get drunk/high first. Going out on a picnic? Only if I can bring the booze along. A round of golf? Only if we are getting loaded. And so on.

We train ourselves in addiction to only have fun when we are using drugs and alcohol. Without the buzz, we feel out of sorts and cannot possibly enjoy whatever is going on, because we are too disgruntled at not being intoxicated with our drug of choice.

So it should come as no surprise that addicts and alcoholics believe that they will never have any fun again if they get clean and sober. They think they are facing a life of gloom and misery if they can no longer get high.

But the truth is, getting high stopped being fun a long time ago, and they might only recapture that level of “fun” every once in a great while, when they are lucky enough to get almost totally smashed on their drug of choice without going totally over the edge. And even then, the “fun” only lasts for a few hours at the most, and they are back to weeks and weeks of misery, trying to chase that perfect moment.

This is addiction. It is the constant pursuit of that perfect high, and stubbornly hanging on to the memory of it, while turning up your nose at normal ways of having fun.

Bottom line is this: you get clean and sober, and stick it out for a while, and normal “life” starts getting fun again. Believe it or not, life gets good again. And fun again. But it takes time, and part of this is the learning process, and allowing room for experimentation in our lives.

40) They say you have to give it a way to keep it. I say you have to keep pushing yourself to create an awesome life for yourself, one in which you help others with your personal strengths. If you can attend meetings and give advice to newcomers, then that is great. But if you can push yourself to go further than this and really make use of your skills, then that is where the real growth can occur. Everybody wins when you push yourself to reach out to others in a way that is unique to you. This is a huge part of finding your path in recovery.

41) They say it is a spiritual program. I say it is a holistic path. There is a difference. Some people get so caught up in what they like to call “the spiritual side of the program” that they screw up or neglect other parts of their life. My opinion is that a spiritual approach to recovery is too narrow. An holistic approach makes more sense, and can be used to great affect. For example, there are programs of recovery based just on proper nutrition as a means of overcoming addiction. There are also programs based only on exercise. There are also programs based only on processing our emotions. And so on. So why choose a program that is limited to only the spiritual approach, when there are such tremendous benefits to be gained by growing in other directions? Spirituality is important, but it is not the only thing.

Incorporate an holistic approach for best results. That means staying open to all forms of personal growth.

42) Traditional recovery is not enough to keep some people happy. Therefore they relapse, fail to “work the program,” or just plain give up. I say, find your own path in recovery, one that leads you to happiness and contentment. It is your responsibility to do so.

43) No rehab can help every addict and alcoholic. The path to success is far too personal for a “one size fits all” program. Personal growth can be pursued in so many different ways. The best we can do in some cases is to experiment and try, try again. Eventually, something may “click.”

44) Gratitude is at least twice as powerful as other spiritual principles. The moment right before a relapse, gratitude is no longer present. If it was, it would have prevented the relapse all by itself. Be grateful, every single day, for anything and everything.

45) Dealing with emotions might be a huge key to a person’s recovery. This will depend on their level of emotional maturity at the time that they get clean and sober. Most addicts and alcoholics can benefit greatly from simply learning how to identify an emotion or feeling and simply learning to accept it for what it is rather than to try and fight it or medicate.

46) The more confident (and boisterous) someone is in early recovery, the less likely they are to succeed with long term sobriety. This becomes even more true for those who are adamant about telling others how they should recover. From my experience, the loudest “preachers” in my early recovery have all relapsed at this point. Many of them warned me that I should “follow the program.”

47) Being overly enthusiastic early in recovery is often as dangerous as not being enthusiastic enough. You want to be desperate and defeated when you first get sober, not ready to conquer the world.

48) If you rely on sponsorship after a few years of recovery, then you are doing something wrong. No one should “need” a sponsor, expect for possibly in very early recovery. After that, you need to learn how to push yourself to grow and learn more. If you can’t (or won’t), then you missed something critical. Recovery is about personal growth.

49) 12 step fanatics will try to steer you away from religion…..religious fanatics will try to steer you away from 12 step programs. Ignore them all and find the path that works for you (which may include 12 step programs, or religion, or neither, or both….).

50) There are a whole bunch of people who stay sober through exercise alone. This should be a big clue. Doubters of “holistic recovery” will not even take such an idea seriously, because they are lazy and complacent in their group therapy approach. But if exercise works as a solution for some, it could certainly help just about anyone in recovery.

51) Take your purpose in recovery and turn it into a vision for the future. What does that mean? It means that you can have an awesome life in recovery if you figure out what you are good at in terms of helping others, and then start doing it in a really big way. This is the big prize in recovery. This is how you become the person you were meant to be.

To long to read :-) just take what applies to yourself and work it, slante.

Wow, that's a blueprint for a good life realies!
    Thanks for posting - lots of ideas and things to think about for me there. I'm in a slightly "bored with it" phase of sobriety, this is invaluable.

I'm just after coming back from badminton, my first time in about 15 years and enjoyed it, thinking about what was there and now and also knackering myself in the process ha

Looks like an interesting post realies which I'll read at work in the morning, bit of tv is all I can manage at the minute lol

• Advertisement

Ah ****, I'm at work now and it looks even longer :)

Read most of it, identify with some of it, as I said in an earlier post I wasn't sure about the 12 steps.A few of them most definitely especially the first, well that's because I'm only in early recovery.

Exercise is a good thing. Most definitely. I was in AA a few years ago and was going to the gym. Boring as **** to be honest but it increases your overall health and you do feel better. I had an interest in badminton years ago and played quite a bit. When I went back last night I enjoyed it, any other problems rattling around in my head were not as prominent and I enjoyed myself.

A lot of work to do. My counsellor said there is no point in going to AA if you aren't going to embrace the 12 steps. For me at the minute it's just good to be in a room full (or not so full, think there was 5 at the one on Monday morning) of people either going through the same thing or have went through it.

I get one of the points above, don't try and do too much at once. I have a very good support network at work were a few of them know and also know what my 'rock bottom' was. I know some people don't have to have a rock bottom but I did. A few friends also know the full story so I can talk to them outside the rooms. Family know (not everything) but would never have thought I was an alcoholic as I didn't live at home.

I'll be going to the counsellor for another month to see where we are but it's not going to be about the drinking, I'll be at AA for that, more to see where my anxiety/low level depression comes from. Even typing ****e out here helps.

It is one day at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Amazing post Realies

"
    12) Surrender is important. No one can be forced to get clean and sober against their will, until they are fully ready. There is one organization that specializes in helping YOU to help your loved one to get more “ready.” That organization is called Al-anon. You can’t force them to change, but you can stop enabling them, and thus bring them closer to their moment of surrender based on your actions. Consistency is key. "

So important this, you have to be willing to go to any lengths to get sober. Simply dismissing proven ways of getting sober even when we think it isn't for us is not showing that willingness. I struggled with that for years but when I finally gave in and done something I didn't want to do(everything I wanted to do just lead me more astray, never trust the alcoholic mind) I got sober.

Amazing post Realies

( never trust the alcoholic mind)

Agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Abcxyz12345

1 year today! :-)

I honestly would not have believed the year that lay ahead of me if you'd have sat me down & told me on 17/10/2014. It has been without doubt the most amazing year of my life - tough, special, overwhelming & a year of such recovery & growth... Long may it continue! Thank you to all of you who contribute to this thread for sharing your experience, wisdom & also for your encouragement & kind words x

I honestly would not have believed the year that lay ahead of me if you'd have sat me down & told me on 17/10/2014. It has been without doubt the most amazing year of my life - tough, special, overwhelming & a year of such recovery & growth... Long may it continue! Thank you to all of you who contribute to this thread for sharing your experience, wisdom & also for your encouragement & kind words x

We'll done Abcxy , you should be rightly proud of yourself, it's a great achievement , keep fighting the fight and believe me your life will get even better, :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Outstanding achievement Abc , be very proud .

Great job abc, well done :) 17 days in for me and I have to say I feel sorry for people that don't have the support that they need to get through it. I go to aa as I've said and I've got good support outside of it, try to get a meeting every day but not always possible

I'm just filling my time with other stuff but the weekends at the minute are the hardest as I've nothing really to do at the minute and it's a bank holiday next weekend!!

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Abcxyz12345

Great job abc, well done :) 17 days in for me and I have to say I feel sorry for people that don't have the support that they need to get through it. I go to aa as I've said and I've got good support outside of it, try to get a meeting every day but not always possible

I'm just filling my time with other stuff but the weekends at the minute are the hardest as I've nothing really to do at the minute and it's a bank holiday next weekend!!

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday!!

Thanks Petes! I found filling time very hard initially - esp as I felt I had to distance myself from socializing with friends as there was drink involved. I was ok-ish during the week as thankfully I was still working. I was quite unwell initially & needed to eat & rest up but I remember well that feeling of not being able to sit with myself. I went to mtgs a lot & spent time with friends who were good for me. I then began doing some exercise & even joined a yoga class! It is slowly coming together but I think having a plan is super important - esp at key times. Sat pm was very tough for me... So I made sure I was busy then. Best of luck with it all & keep posting x

• Advertisement

Thanks Petes! I found filling time very hard initially - esp as I felt I had to distance myself from socializing with friends as there was drink involved. I was ok-ish during the week as thankfully I was still working. I was quite unwell initially & needed to eat & rest up but I remember well that feeling of not being able to sit with myself. I went to mtgs a lot & spent time with friends who were good for me. I then began doing some exercise & even joined a yoga class! It is slowly coming together but I think having a plan is super important - esp at key times. Sat pm was very tough for me... So I made sure I was busy then. Best of luck with it all & keep posting x

I think the first Monday I was properly back at work (second week) after 3 weeks off on a bender I actually looked forward to going in :) eh that's never happened!! Sunday afternoon is when I'm bored out of of my tree, I head to a meeting on Saturday so I'm in town and do a few bits, coffee etc. Have a meeting somewhere else this morning, moving in to a new place but slowly from my parents, joined a badminton club.

It's not just the not drinking, I've other things rattling around in my head. So just to take my mind off things

Booked in for a tattoo in Dublin next Sunday so that's that day gone and it's a bank holiday so I might have went mad :)

Feel okay though, for me meetings do help!!

Advertisement