Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belcamp College, Malahide Road.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Belmayner

Hi Kila did you manage to find out if it's possible to get in for a look. I'd be fascinated to have a look, especially at the Church. I heard that the Church was to be retained as part of the new development and used as a local Church for the D13 area. But now that everything is on hold it would be a shame to see it deteriorate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 archy1

Just got word that an open last day of Sorts for past Pupils will take place on College grounds, takes place on 27th April...please spread the word. Gerry Cooley Class of 75.

Folks just to let you know , there will be an OpenDay/Goodbye day on the above date on the grounds at Belcamp. Format not sure, spread the word.

Gerry Cooley Class 75

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DublinLost

Thanks to Ken Garvey I was let in to take pictures of the Stained Glass Windows (Jan 2008) for some people who's family donated the windows back in the day. Mr Doyle was and is a true gentleman.

I was disgusted to see the Church Had been De-Consecrated and the altar removed and sent to the UK as well as all the seating. This would suggest to me that there is no such plans to have a Community Church there. The last rumour I heard was that Gerry Ganon himself was to move into the house?? Truly a house fit for a member of a Golden Circle??

Anyway, I got a good few pictures of the windows, the gilded scripture drawings including the J. Clarke & Sons insignia, the Stations of the Cross and of the House itself.

I don't blame Gannon for buying or the Oblates for selling- I blame the communities of Belcamp/Darndale and surrounding areas for sleeping on their watch- this should Never have Happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

DublinLost wrote: »
    Thanks to Ken Garvey I was let in to take pictures of the Stained Glass Windows (Jan 2008) for some people who's family donated the windows back in the day. Mr Doyle was and is a true gentleman.

I was disgusted to see the Church Had been De-Consecrated and the altar removed and sent to the UK as well as all the seating. This would suggest to me that there is no such plans to have a Community Church there. The last rumour I heard was that Gerry Ganon himself was to move into the house?? Truly a house fit for a member of a Golden Circle??

Anyway, I got a good few pictures of the windows, the gilded scripture drawings including the J. Clarke & Sons insignia, the Stations of the Cross and of the House itself.

I don't blame Gannon for buying or the Oblates for selling- I blame the communities of Belcamp/Darndale and surrounding areas for sleeping on their watch- this should Never have Happened!
    any chance you could photobucket them and give a link
    would love to see them
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DublinLost

any chance you could photobucket them and give a link
    would love to see them
    thanks
    Put those photos up as requested.

Mindful that these images have been resized for uploading.

New to boards.ie so hope I don't get kicked for putting up a link.

If there is a particular image you'd like to see the original of let me know.

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww280/darndale/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Maximiliano Loud Hangman

May I suggest posting about this over on the Dublin City Forum, it may get a lot more view's.

thank you very much for that .
    the old place is.nt as run down as appears from the main road .
    brought back a few memories alright .
    i wonder what the plans are for it now ?
    they could,nt/would,nt demolish the church

Many thanks for the photos, they are a really brilliant record. The church is outstanding. We were told in Belmayne some time ago that our weekly mass in the "information centre" would eventually move to the church in Belcamp ....doesn't look like that might happen now, what a shame.
    Cheers again for the link.

Folks Please spread the News, trying to arrange Near fm outside broadcast on the day.

There will be vox pop recordings mage on the day ...

I was part of the Class that started the 70's disco's in the study hall upstairs in 72, moved to the library the following year in 73i...

Sweet blockbuster was number one at the first disco...I think...

• Advertisement

Hi Archy, Can you confirm the date in April for the Belcamp farewell as the 27th is a Monday?
    Many thanks

Folks Date is 27TH April , Day is MONDAY....Sorry....6 of the best from Ned Barret! by the Lord Harry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

its shutting for good after leaving june 2009open day belcamp college 27th april 2009 there will be tea,photos,look around the school,and school band,meet former pupils and teachers and if you dont attend there will be detention and 6 of the bestand fr barett will box your ears its either at 10am 0r 11am until 2pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

its shutting for good after leaving june 2009open day belcamp college monday 27th april 2009 there will be tea,photos,look around the school,and school band,meet former pupils and teachers and if you dont attend there will be detention and 6 of the bestand fr barett will box your ears its either at 10am 0r 11am until 2pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kila_lynsey

Hi all,

Is the open day still going ahead next Monday? Do you think it will be possible to take photos in the church on the day?

Thanks,
    Kila

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peadearo

Does anybody remember the lrish teacher called hitler and the maths teacher called batman and what about the english teacher called mrs o bric l heard she died in a car crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peadearo

burrenman wrote: »
    Thaes names bring back a lot of memories. Does anyone remember Father John Archibald. Used to teach latin before becoming the headmaster
    I remember the nasty man well,is he still alive?

peadearo wrote: »
    I remember the nasty man well,is he still alive?
    enter the classroom
    wringing the hands "yous all think yous are the best thing since sliced bread " and from under the robe came the leather :D
    and placed on his desk .
    oh those happy days :p

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Are you not mixin him up with one of the others? Archie never carried a leather. He did'nt need to!! He struck the fear of God into everybody by one shout of "Quick, fast, BUST YOURSELF".

Are you not mixin him up with one of the others? Archie never carried a leather. He did'nt need to!! He struck the fear of God into everybody by one shout of "Quick, fast, BUST YOURSELF".
    come to think about it , maybe i am [sorry fr archi if you read this ] :)
    but there was another teacher who was fond of the leather .
    never done me any harm though at the time it frightened the sh1t out of me :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kennelly

I attended Belcamp College from September 1950 to June 1954. It was an enjoyable four years. I played football,hurling and Basketball .You mentioned Fr Ned Barrett. Ned Lives in Ardfert, Kerry and I meet with him nearly every year. He is doing fine. What is the status of Belcamp now? I would like to know if the George Washington Memorial building is still standing. We used it as a smoking lounge. I am not sure if the American Embassy is aware that such an edifice exits; they would be interested in its preservation. Is there a Past Pupils union in existence? I live in Alexandria, Va now but spend some of the Summer months in Lixnaw, Co Kerry in the old homestead on the banks of the Feale.

Folks, just to let you know , I attended both the Past Pupil reunion in April, and the Staff do last Friday on 30th May, in the Marine Hotel in Sutton.

I am still planning a "Farewell to Belcamp College" DVD and I am currently gathering content. It is NOT going to be a history, Tom O'Shea did that job with his excellent " Belcamp Forever". My effort brings it all upto date to the very last day this June 29th when it closes , lock, stock and Barrel. Reeling in the Years format, a little. I will be filming , recording during final Leaving Certifcate examinations , starting tmr 3RD of June. Just like my leaving cert exams in the old study hall back in 1975, the sun will be Shining.

On the staff night...Mr Trimble, Father Barret, Father Mulligan, and Father Eoghan Haughey were present, among others and it was a small dignified event with MC duties carried out, with great aplomb and emotion, by Pat McVeigh the last of the 19 principles. Michael McMahon " Maxy" was represented by his widow on the night and a few tears were shed. It was great to be there and I was asked to say a few words on behalf on the past pupils which was great. I told the gathering that their precious Country lad boarders, who spoke Irish much better that us Dubs, sold us the in house term papers in the early 70's for 50p...that went down well! then father Eoghan treated us to a nice song about Donnycarney...more again about the night ...farewell fellow Belcampers...

rumour is NAMS will be the next owner of Belcamp....yes ...lets reopen the School....we own it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gary cummins

Hi There

I attended Belcamp from 1976-79.just wondering if anyone knows what the following pupils who attended at the same time are doing now?

Ciarain chalky White
    John Kelly
    Aussie
    Greg Doherty
    David Heenan
    Paul Mcgough
    Brian Spratt

:)

Hi There

I attended Belcamp from 1976-79.just wondering if anyone knows what the following pupils who attended at the same time are doing now?

Ciarain chalky White
    John Kelly
    Aussie
    Greg Doherty
    David Heenan
    Paul Mcgough
    Brian Spratt

hi gary what class were you in because most of those lads names ring a bell .john kelly i hung around with hav,nt seen him in years think he lives in cork .thats about all i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gary cummins

Hi There

I think the class was called f1 or f2?Had batman for science,biddy for french,o'shea for english.
    Played in Croke Park in final for Belcamp.Think there was another lad called sean carthy.
    Also played football with ciarain white for kilmore boys.Would love to know what they are doing now

G

Hi There

I think the class was called f1 or f2?Had batman for science,biddy for french,o'shea for english.
    Played in Croke Park in final for Belcamp.Think there was another lad called sean carthy.
    Also played football with ciarain white for kilmore boys.Would love to know what they are doing now

G
    i remember sean alright he hung around with pat brady [big lad ]
    i think my bro "foxy " would have been in your class .ciarain was a good ball player alright .
    do you remember playing football in the tennis courts with the tennis ball
    no footballs allowed .could,nt tell you what they are doing now because moved away years ago .
    walking up that lane or across the fields in the rain and then waiting hours on a friday evening for the 42 bus at campions .
    i remember getting halled across the coals [wrongly i might say ] for being accused of letting the air out of sean cartys tyres on his bike .
    remember the race of bikes across the bridge to the main gate .
    i think a guy called stephen byrne was in your class [very good footballer (soccer)]
    he went to the states and joined the american navy and lives there now .

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

I just found out today about the Past Pupil re-union on 27-April and I'm raging I missed it.
    I attended Belcamp from 81-86 and had a ball.

Teachers: Ms Feran, Mr (Brendan) Gleeson, Mr McVeigh, Mr Garvey, "Maxi" McMahon, Mr Corbett, Ms McGuinness, Ms McDonagh, Mr Dempsey.

Ms Feran stopped stopped me from foolishly leaving school a year before my leaving cert & Mr Gleeson was responsible for giving me the confidence to start wearing glasses.

Shame the place has been allowed to close.

Fellow Belcamp students just to let you know that on such a glorious day as today Belcamp is noe aprt of the Gerry Gannon property port folio. I was there at about 10.30 with my son Russell who is a film maker. We shot a piece in my last classroom , leaving cert 1975. I covered the story of how are class, intercert year of 1972/1073 started the College disco and I did a piece in the libary where the disco where help. All done to a 70's soundtrack it will be posted on you tube in the coming days. I wil advise link details...thk gerry cooley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stef del

Hi all, i went Belcamp 1985-87, all good,want to know all about whats happening to the mad house... did maxi pass-away? i would like to hear from past pupils or teachers who knew me or my brothers, Brian,Joey as we were together in Belcamp.I miss that place and i have fond memories too,iam now a Broadcast engineer and healthy and lifes good,just got back from glastonbury aswell... anyway if you wanna chat about the old times in Belcamp then e mail me : libra3tech@yahoo.co.uk Stephen Delahunty . would like to hear from old class buddys... martain,smith,paul bonney,anto cray,stephen larkin,colin traynor... to name a few o and the nutty lad peter rossiter ofcourse.Best wishes to you all!!! There is also a facebook group for Belcamp College so sign up now!! iam on there too!!

• Advertisement

Folks, this is a small tribute to the fact that our class started the Belcamp Disco's way back in 1972!. Enjoy the Music Video , my son Russell did the filming and effects.

Advertisement