Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The plantagenets

• 06-04-2014 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

I saw a series on he Plantagenets on Channel 4 recently and was interested in reading a bit more about them.

After googling a bit I came across a book by Dan Jones. Anyone read it? What would you recommend for a good overview?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Historically, the latest I read on that era was on St. Thomas Beckett - which was an interesting read and gives how the politics/relgion of that time interacted. Fictionwise, there are always the books of Elizabeth Chadwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thought it was an excellent series, right up there with his previous series on the Normans.

I haven't read Jones' book but it seems to be well regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Very interesting, especially for an American !!! One thing that gets me is how French the Plantagenets such as that Richard the Lionheart probably knew very little English if any at all. So much of the English ruling class were derived form most of the French provinces such as Anjou, Aquitaine, Brittany etc that they seemed to regard England as just another French province to be quarreled over. Excellent program.

Advertisement