Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gerry Adams to run for President ?

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

el pasco wrote: »
    He knew thus his brother was a child abuser and yet he said nothing when he worked with other children!!

That is unforgivable

Anyway what do you expect from SF/IRA scum sure wasn't he and his thugs involved in murdering innocent men women and children sure why would he care about his niece being abused scumbag that's what they are

So it's ok for you and others to questions others wrong doing but not SF why

Imagine if other groups or organisations said that to SF when SF were making polictical capital out of other scandals
    I seriously doubt it would wash with SF

Sure why not? He's a public figure getting piaded taxpayers money
    So therefore he is accountable to full public scurinty

See, most people treating this as a black and white issue cant help but make comments like this, it's pretty clear that they're using one girl's trauma to have a pop at a party or person they dont like, which is pretty despicable.
    Truth is this issue is far more complex than those with an agenda are willing to admit.
    For a start, nobody, except those who have had first had experience, knows what they would do if they discovered abuse within a family. I have seen up close how this tears families apart. People dont know who to believe, how to deal with it, who to go to and many of them just want to keep it quiet. Every reaction is different.
    When Gerry Adams was made aware of the abuse the Adams family tried to deal with it internally.
    Aine Adams went to the police, who were only interested in turning her tout.
    By the time Liam Adams admitted what he had done Aine was an adult and it was up to her to decide what to do next.
    The police had already shown no interest in help Aine but even at that, Adams was the head of a political party that didnt recognise the RUC, he could hardly tell others to oppose them but go running to them when something affected his family personally.
    However, when SF voted to hold policing and the PSNI to account he went straight to them with his complaint.
    He then testified against his brother in a trial.

Adams has serious questions to answer about his knowledge of what Liam was doing and where he was while he was aware of Aine's complaint against him but those questions lose any legitimacy when flung around with the usual anti-republican rhetoric because it's clear that it is just being used by those with an axe to grind to attack either him personally or SF.

Adams is indeed a public figure but how the family deal with this (the legacy and aftermath of the abuse, not the court case itself) is a private family matter. I note that nobody is crying out for Aine's mother or any other members of the family to face trial for withholding information. It's pretty clear that, sadly, some people saw the tragic story of one girl's horrendous ordeal as little more than a chance to have a dig at a political opponent.

As for your point about SF using other scandals for their own benefit, Martin McGuinness' respectful and dignified silence during Peter Robinson's spat with his wife proves that to be bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Both these people also said, for example, that Jean McConville was a tout who was previously warned about passing information onto the Brits and it was only when she persisted that she was shot. I take it you accept that as well.

Maybe she was maybe she wasn't, we will never find out on account of her being dead, which leads into another issue of due process and people setting themselves up as judge jury and excecutioner which if course bring us back to Gerry. Do you believe she was a informer?

junder wrote: »
    Maybe she was maybe she wasn't, we will never find out on account of her being dead, which leads into another issue of due process and people setting themselves up as judge jury and excecutioner which if course bring us back to Gerry. Do you believe she was a informer?

I dont see why the IRA would execute the mother of one of their own members otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

When Gerry Adams was made aware of the abuse the Adams family tried to deal with it internally.

When the family of the Catholic Church was made aware of the abuse, the family of the Catholic Church tried to deal with it internally.

In dealing with it internally, by its failure to report the abuse, it failed to ensure the safety of other children.

Can you not see the direct parallel with Gerry Adams' actions as leader of SF in allowing Liam Adams to continue in a position of responsibility within SF?

I dont see why the IRA would execute the mother of one of their own members otherwise.

Because they were paranoid criminal thugs perhaps?

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    Because they were paranoid criminal thugs perhaps?

I heard it was because they just like bathing in the blood of innocents and that they have this machine that turns human misery into gold and they use the gold to make big gold hammers that they beat puppies to death with.

This is why we cant discuss these topics on this site. People are unwilling to even consider anything that's outside the scope of their own, narrow preconceptions.

This is why we cant discuss these topics on this site. People are unwilling to even consider anything that's outside the scope of their own, narrow preconceptions.

Let me see can I find an example of somebody not being able to consider anything that's outside the scope of their own, narrow preconceptions.

Oh, there we have an example in black and white.
    When the family of the Catholic Church was made aware of the abuse, the family of the Catholic Church tried to deal with it internally.

In dealing with it internally, by its failure to report the abuse, it failed to ensure the safety of other children.

Can you not see the direct parallel with Gerry Adams' actions as leader of SF in allowing Liam Adams to continue in a position of responsibility within SF?

In the meantime, back in the real world, the real hard questions are being ignored.

Let me see can I find an example of somebody not being able to consider anything that's outside the scope of their own, narrow preconceptions.

Oh, there we have an example in black and white.

I asked a question based on the aims, motives, actions and attitudes of the IRA. You made some gormless statement about them all being thugs.

In the meantime, back in the real world, the real hard questions are being ignored.

I ignored your question because it was a bullshit attempt at trying to draw a comparison between two incomparable issues and also because a number of other similarly motivated people have raised it several times in this thread already. It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Manassas61

Gerry Adams has no morals. So of course its not a surprise he did what he did.

I asked a question based on the aims, motives, actions and attitudes of the IRA. You made some gormless statement about them all being thugs.

No, I offered an alternative explanation for why they kidnapped and killed Jean McConville.

Paranoia about secrets they thought she might be passing to the British army is one reason they might have had for suspecting her. Thuggery is a reason for killing her.

So in killing Jean McConville, it is perfectly credible to say that the IRA were paranoid criminal thugs. It is not "a gormless statement about them all being thugs".

The thing is, if you accept the premise that the IRA were in a legitimate war (which I don't) some of their actions are defendable. However, a large part of them are not, even accepting that premise. Around here it seems that the IRA did no wrong.

In the case of Jean McConville, there is no reasonable justification for their action, no matter what you consider the situation on the ground to have been or the status of the conflict.
    I ignored your question because it was a bullshit attempt at trying to draw a comparison between two incomparable issues and also because a number of other similarly motivated people have raised it several times in this thread already. It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now

Sorry, the two situations are very comparable.

The institution of the Church protected its members accused of abuse through the actions of the leader of the Church - the bishops and cardinals and exposed other children to potential danger.

The big big question for the institution of SF and its leader Gerry Adams, is whether in not removing Liam Adams from positions of responsibility or of reporting to the relevant organisations hiring him, they were guilty of the same crime. Do I need to dig up the quotes from the likes of Mary Lou to demonstrate the principles that SF proclaim to have on this issue?

Nobody on this thread has posted a credible explanation for why the situations were different. (Saying SF distrusted the police is not enough, it is like the Church saying it was dealt with under canon law).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

this lady will definitely be running....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_O'Reilly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Which means if the accusation of her being an informer is credible then so to is Adams membership of the ira

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

There are now 4 agencies of law in NI investigating Gerry Adams actions and his testimony. Virtually unprecedented scrutiny, so I am going to wait until they report on this because it seems to me that allegations are being made by the usual suspects (which may or may not be right) and counter claims are being made by SF and Gerry Adams.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    There are now 4 agencies of law in NI investigating Gerry Adams actions and his testimony. Virtually unprecedented scrutiny, so I am going to wait until they report on this because it seems to me that allegations are being made by the usual suspects (which may or may not be right) and counter claims are being made by SF and Gerry Adams.

The church leaders who never reported the child abuse and who never ensured that other children were protected from the abuse didn't commit a crime it seems, as none were convicted.

However, they didn't escape public condemnation.

Let us see how Gerry gets on but wouldn't it be ironic if he was going around citing the support of the PSNI to defend himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Manassas61

Not really as once he left the PIRA, Gerry was a British spy and has close relationships with the British establishment.

Manassas61 wrote: »
    Not really as once he left the PIRA, Gerry was a British spy and has close relationships with the British establishment.

Surely then, as a british spy and member of the british establishment, you should be a big fan of gerry's. Yet you seem to hate him. Bit of a rebel arent ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Has Junder been sharing 'the British Intelligence secrets' with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Where did you hear/watch/read this information lol:confused:

Advertisement