Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would you change/improve at WIT

Options
  • 11-12-2015 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

The government announced today a new fund for equipment upgrades and small building works in the IOT sector.This should mean around half to three quarters of a mil for WIT.So what would you spend it on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Carparking and the engineering building, more computers in the library

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭invara

Where to start. I could spend ten times that much, and I would still only be making a start on the things WIT needs. But it is a good sign, although normal treatment by HEA/Dept. of WIT compared with CIT (they got way more money).

Lots of buildings need a bit of TLC, even the newer ones. College St is looking a tired and shabby, broken seats in class rooms, very tired painting etc.... Main campus needs better lighting in car parking (especially winter nights), more sit down areas for students to hang and talk, break out study areas, newer PCs in lots of areas (with quicker log on), better signage, wayfinding and names on buildings. The new engineering building and school of business are sorely needed. As are new large lecture halls to take pressure of the entire system (buildings, timetables, staff). In general we certainly need to raise the standard of most teaching spaces which have a very basic spec. Landscaping (in front of the T+L) could do with a windbreak wall/planting, the walkways to the back car park are untidy. There are lots of halted, half finished refits where there was no money to finish out commenced works .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

New seats in classrooms. Painting and new computers in the Library. College St really needs a revamp more than the main campus

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Gael23 wrote: »
    College St really needs a revamp more than the main campus

Personally I think they shouldn't waste any more money on college street and work on a strategy of getting out of there. I heard rumblings that the WCFE are interested in moving in there as they are running out of room in their existing site.I say sell college street for as much money as they can to the WCFE and move them in on a phased basis and build a humanities block on the main campus (on the front car park)

Carparking and the engineering building, more computers in the library
    Car parking is such a red herring at WIT .Lets look at other colleges , Carlowit has a tiny amount of spaces in relation to WIT, UCC has almost no parking on site for students , CIT has around half the parking spaces of WIT , how do those colleges function .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

imacman wrote: »
    Personally I think they shouldn't waste any more money on college street and work on a strategy of getting out of there. I heard rumblings that the WCFE are interested in moving in there as they are running out of room in their existing site.I say sell college street for as much money as they can to the WCFE and move them in on a phased basis and build a humanities block on the main campus (on the front car park)

I wasn't aware of that. But car parking is a massive issue as is and this move would make it unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Update the computers in the Walton building.

When I was in WIT, they were so bad that some couldn't actually be used.

Or just fix the crappy internet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Some of the rooms are unsuitable for lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

Upgrade the computers and multiply the amount by 5. Upgrade the gym would be good also. There's not much to do for fun apart from the pool tables. The ucc gym is unreal and it's free for students

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

picnic benches around the place for atein the grub durin the warmer dryer weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

deadybai wrote: »
    Upgrade the computers and multiply the amount by 5. Upgrade the gym would be good also. There's not much to do for fun apart from the pool tables. The ucc gym is unreal and it's free for students

Even the new pool tables/cues are shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

As an IT student I can say that the computers in the Walton build are terrible and they need to be upgraded, they are a vast majority of computers that do not work or crash constantly.

As people have mentioned before car parking in also an issue, there is a huge waste ground near the tourism and leisure building which could be turned into a temporary carpark (Could be flatten out, no need for tarmac, just as it would be good enough), I know they were trying to build on it but it’s just a unused wasteland as it stands could be used for something more productive until they actually need to build on it.

That's just my two cents.

As an IT student I can say that the computers in the Walton build are terrible and they need to be upgraded, they are a vast majority of computers that do not work or crash constantly.

As people have mentioned before car parking in also an issue, there is a huge waste ground near the tourism and leisure building which could be turned into a temporary carpark (Could be flatten out, no need for tarmac, just as it would be good enough), I know they were trying to build on it but it’s just a unused wasteland as it stands could be used for something more productive until they actually need to build on it.

That's just my two cents.

People have genuinely been saying these for many years with no changes in sight it seems. Embarrassing for the college.

callaway92 wrote: »
    People have genuinely been saying these for many years with no changes in sight it seems. Embarrassing for the college.

I am an IT student and I have been told that the future is BYOB (bring your own device). They will stop upgrading the rooms in the future, students will just have their own device.

I am an IT student and I have been told that the future is BYOB (bring your own device). They will stop upgrading the rooms in the future, students will just have their own device.

Yeh that makes sense to be fair. Any future investment isn't going to be on the tech.

Not that simple im afraid, Bord Pleanala have decided that the WIT campus had reached it limit for car parking as part of the city traffic plan.In fact they may have to reduce parking on site going forward as part of that traffic plan.That is why the college is looking at the front car park as an area for new building development.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Yeh that makes sense to be fair. Any future investment isn't going to be on the tech.

Yes I agree. I think any future investment should be first of all better WIFI for the people bringing their own device.

Advertisement