Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If someone wants a fourth for their team, or to set up a Boardsie team, I'm up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Has anyone else made the decision to externalize as much info as possible and therefore made themselves totally crap for table quizzes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'm out of town at the moment, otherwise I'd be up for a boardsie team -- good idea koth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Lights cigarette, pours 16 year malt whiskey, looks to camera...
    "Where is your god now?"

Fade to black :)

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2011/10/are-stars-the-origin-of-organic-life/

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

smokingman wrote: »
    Lights cigarette, pours 16 year malt whiskey, looks to camera...
    "Where is your god now?"

"God works in mysterious ways"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

robindch wrote: »
    I'm out of town at the moment, otherwise I'd be up for a boardsie team -- good idea koth :)
    I didn't do it, can't prove anything!! :P

I think you meant kylith ;)
    kylith wrote: »
    If someone wants a fourth for their team, or to set up a Boardsie team, I'm up for it.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    I think you meant kylith ;)
    Indeed, I did -- humble apologies for getting mixed up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

*shakes fist* How dare you get us mixed up! :p

No-one up for it so?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gonna be in a pub watching The Republic qualifying for the Euros (hopefully!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

smokingman wrote: »
    This isn’t the discovery of extraterrestrial life, mind you, as these compounds are organic but can’t be classified as either alive or dead
    Hmmm.. undead particles; the likely building blocks of extra-terrestrial zombies?
    complex organic compounds—structurally akin to coal
    must be that cheap coal that doesn't burn then...
    Theoretically, this is impossible, but observationally we can see it happening
    Strange days indeed, now... back to the malt whiskey...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Surely that's a self defeating question? Stars are origin of all elements so surely then the obvious conclusion is that they are origin of organic molecules because without the initial fusion of the elements there'd be no room for molecules? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

recedite wrote: »
    Hmmm.. undead particles; the likely building blocks of extra-terrestrial zombies?

They're obviously "soul-less" :pac:
    Malty_T wrote: »
    Surely that's a self defeating question? Stars are origin of all elements so surely then the obvious conclusion is that they are origin of organic molecules because without the initial fusion of the elements there'd be no room for molecules? :)

Ah but the assumption was that organic compounds, no matter how basic, could only be created on a planet after environmental effects take hold.
    To find them just floating in space would point at the Earth "not" being the origin of our own zoo of life.

So when some taxi driver gives out about "dem bleedin fordiners", we can turn to them and say, "this actually isn't even our planet bud, we're all fordiners".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

After Penn & Teller's Bullshit on recycling left me feeling pretty cynical about the whole thing, especially recycling plastic, I was glad to see this Ted Talk by MBA Polymers CEO Mike Biddle. He discusses the problems with recycling plastic and how his company has been going about solving them.
    i started to watch the P&T show. got about halfway through, they seemed to be focussing on people's attitudes and the financial cost and not so much on the actual benefit or damage caused by recycling.
    the nonsense of the staged extra categories of materials was pointless and unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

i started to watch the P&T show. got about halfway through, they seemed to be focussing on people's attitudes and the financial cost and not so much on the actual benefit or damage caused by recycling.
    the nonsense of the staged extra categories of materials was pointless and unfunny.

I agree, but it was when they started looking into the results of recycling - that materials set aside for recycling are often not recycled at all, or recycled into fairly useless stuff, that got me. I know it's an entertainment series and not a serious documentary, but it was still hard to totally discredit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I agree, but it was when they started looking into the results of recycling - that materials set aside for recycling are often not recycled at all, or recycled into fairly useless stuff, that got me. I know it's an entertainment series and not a serious documentary, but it was still hard to totally discredit.

Another thing that people don't realise it that recycling happened plenty before we got different coloured bins. My dad used to work in the council when they were responsible for waste collection etc. and the odd time he had to do the processing bit where plenty of seperation happened. Of course once it was privatised they needed an excuse to charge so went for recycling and then used it as an excuse for price hikes even though much of it was already happening and people employed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i reckon we'd be as well off burning waster plastic and paper; especially plastic, anyway. that's not an endorsement of DCC's policy on incineration, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

I found this interview with the youtube atheist poster AronRa interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Monkeys control artificial limbs with their minds. And as the researchers are Brazilian, the first obvious step is to apply it to soccer as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Poor old monkeys must be paying a heavy price for this.

Three programs from the BBC on Richard Feynman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/feynman/

Restricted to mainland UK, though I gather that can be got around.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

robindch wrote: »

So the jist of the story from what I can see is that backflips make you gay?

Burgo wrote: »
    So the jist of the story from what I can see is that backflips make you gay?
    haha.

Not really. He played a sport where it is possible to try to rip off another mans clothes, grab some guy by the jewels, look at a mans arse while he holds him up in the air. None of which are an offence....you get the jist. I think the hint was always there. He was always gay.

The headline is misleading. Burly rugby player does not mean a straight person. I'm surprised this made it in here tbh. Off the back of this mongo you could have christians calling for every gay person to do back flips until it breaks their neck and makes them straight.........or at least to research it. Just as you jokingly commented on, right?

dmw07 wrote: »
    The headline is misleading. Burly rugby player does not mean a straight person.
    What about having a fiancé? Or having no previous gay inclinations as he claims (can't see why he'd lie)?

Mad stuff altogether!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can a stroke have that kind of an effect?

I have no clue but the first thing I thought when reading that was closet homosexual has near death experience, realises life is too short and uses stroke as an excuse to come out of the closet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/09/mississippi-voters-reject-anti-abortion-initiative/?iref=allsearch
    Mississippi voters reject anti-abortion initiative

Mississippi voters rejected an amendment to the state constitution that would have defined life as starting at conception, and outlawed abortion and many forms of birth control if passed.

"I think voters rejected a measure they understood to be dangerous," said Felicia Brown-Williams with the Mississippi for Healthy Families Campaign. "They really tried to manipulate values around faith and family."

If the amendment 26, or "Personhood," had passed Tuesday, it would have re-opened the national debate on abortion. Court challenges would have set the measure on a path for the U.S. Supreme Court and a showdown in the far right's mission to overturn Roe V. Wade.

"We are not conceding because we did our duty," said Les Riley, a Mississippi citizen and a petitioner of amendment 26. "We have obeyed God ... it is not tolerable that they kill children."

Critics say the amendment was a restrictive attempt to outlaw abortion - even in the case of mothers who are the victims of rape and incest.

It also bans certain forms of contraception that work after a woman's egg is fertilized and questions treatments such as in vitro fertilization because eggs would be considered people and are sometimes destroyed in laboratories.

"Even in a conservative state, tonight's vote reaffirms that people do not want government intruding in personal decisions best made by a woman, her family and her doctor," said Jennifer Dalven, director of the American Civil Liberties Union reproductive freedom project.

Opponents criticized the amendment as too vague. If it passed, it would have compelled the state legislature to write rules and laws to govern it.

"I think voters understood they could not support something that was so broad, sweeping and yes so unclear," said Atlee Breland of Parents Against Amendment 26. "Nobody wants to trust the government to work it out at a later date."

Mississippi's Gov. Haley Barbour questioned the amendment, but eventually supported it.

"If they had come to the Mississippi legislature and said, 'look, we want to change the constitution and say life begins at conception our legislature would have passed that," he said on CNN's John King USA.

"We'd all be better off if this had gone through the legislative process instead of trying to change the bill of rights of the Mississippi constitution by the initiative. You would have had hearings, people would have understood it, you would have gone through the conference committee and you would have ironed out a lot of these wrinkles."

The ballot initiative was part of a national campaign brought by Personhood USA. The Colorado-based group describes itself as a nonprofit Christian ministry that "serves the pro-life community by assisting local groups to initiate citizen, legislative and political action focusing on the ultimate goal of the pro-life movement: personhood rights for all innocent humans."

Despite the loss, the group said it has made steps in its fight.

"We accomplished our mission to be a voice for the voiceless who have no one else speaking for them," said Keith Mason of Personhood USA. "I want to make a commitment that we will stand with Mississippi until all humans are treated as persons."

A similar amendment was defeated in Colorado last year. Other personhood measures are planned in Florida, Montana and Ohio next year, according to supporters.

Clergy and church officials in Mississippi were split on the issue. Some anti-abortion religious groups believed the amendment was so extreme, it could lead to a Supreme Court ruling that strengthens Roe v. Wade.

The idea for personhood started during Roe v. Wade's oral arguments, when Justice Potter Stewart said, "If it were established that an unborn fetus is a person, you would have an impossible case here."

Personhood USA uses the amendments in an attempt to maneuver a direct challenge to the Roe v. Wade ruling. "We will establish a culture of life," said Dr. Freda Bush, a Yes on 26 spokeswoman. "This is a cultural war from the womb to the tomb and we will be back."

Thank God!

Dades wrote: »
    What about having a fiancé? Or having no previous gay inclinations as he claims (can't see why he'd lie)?

Mad stuff altogether!

Peculiar alright.

What about having a fiancé?
    My proper answer is too long for here but it really proves nothing.

Or having no previous gay inclinations as he claims (can't see why he'd lie)?
    Perhaps he never knew they were there. Perhaps he was conforming with the norm. Again, reply is too long winded for a forum.

Short end, He was gay, is gay and will be gay tomorrow. People don't turn gay. It's a completely natural hormonal thing, it's genetic. Whether or not he knew it all along is questionable. Even his own evidence is not reliable.

Anyway, best of luck to him. I suppose he is the only gay in the village now?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Can a stroke have that kind of an effect?

I have no clue but the first thing I thought when reading that was closet homosexual has near death experience, realises life is too short and uses stroke as an excuse to come out of the closet.

That was my initial reaction too.

dmw07 wrote: »
    Short end, He was gay, is gay and will be gay tomorrow. People don't turn gay. It's a completely natural hormonal thing, it's genetic. Whether or not he knew it all along is questionable. Even his own evidence is not reliable.
    Is it a hormonal thing? Surely genetic refers to how our brains are wired from birth - which is fine. But isn't this just suggesting that a rewiring can happen when the brain is damaged and works naturally to overcome damage?

I don't think this goes against the notion that people are born gay. On the contrary it complements the idea that our brains are wired a certain way.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Is it a hormonal thing? Surely genetic refers to how our brains are wired from birth - which is fine. But isn't this just suggesting that a rewiring can happen when the brain is damaged and works naturally to overcome damage?

I don't think this goes against the notion that people are born gay. On the contrary it complements the idea that our brains are wired a certain way.

Is it a hormonal thing?
    A lot of studies point to a mixture of hormones and genetics and not just one definitive cause.

Advertisement