Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spray Painting the plastic black trim

• 31-08-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Would anyone recommend this as an option to refurbish old faded trim ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Would anyone recommend this as an option to refurbish old faded trim ?

No.

It will peel and look terrible especially around the edges.

Back to black or a similar more long term product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

I've heard good things about Forever Black Bumper Trim Dye Kit. Never used it myself though

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Potatoe Eater

The black paint on the mirrors have chipped off (where its fixed to the door) and I am down to the metal. Could this be sprayed ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The black paint on the mirrors have chipped off (where its fixed to the door) and I am down to the metal. Could this be sprayed ?

What car is it? Do you have pictures of the damage? Can the part be ordered from a dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Everything could be sprayed. Example:

[post]89639779[/post]

Looks exactly the same after 17 months. :D

• Advertisement

here is a picture of my mirror in its current state

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This is the stuff you want. Tiny bottle restored all the fairly faded trim on a Volvo I had before. Got it from cleancar.ie

the problem is that my mirror is down to the metal. Have a look at my photo. Don't think the small bottle will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

here is a picture of my mirror in its current state
    Are you sure that's metal, such parts are typically plastic. You can respray it but you need to use the appropriate primer.

it could be plastic alright. Where is the best place to go to get suitable spray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That is metal and is part of the door frame where the mirror is mounted to. Might be easier to get the entire plastic mirror mount from a car in a scrap yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superwofy

bazz26 wrote: »
    That is metal and is part of the door frame where the mirror is mounted to. Might be easier to get the entire plastic mirror mount from a car in a scrap yard.

+1 on the scrap yard suggestion. But I don't think that the exposed metal is part of the door. It looks to me as if the plastic mirror mount is reinforced with metal which is what you are seeing.

Advertisement