Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you ever reported another driver?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Once reported a truck that used to fly up and down my road each morning over the ramps, in the process he would manage to wake the whole road as this would be at 7 in the morning. Apparently I wasn't the only one either. To this day the prick still shoots up and down like a bat out of hell.

If he is breaking the law, Get your video camera out and wait for him ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Pov06 wrote: »

Private driveway i can do as i wish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

YbFocus wrote: »
    Private driveway i can do as i wish :)

"Filmed in Mexico" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Pov06 wrote: »
    "Filmed in Mexico" :pac:

Sssshh :)

I forgot to offer you a spin at the meet actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

YbFocus wrote: »
    Sssshh :)

I forgot to offer you a spin at the meet actually!

Ah there's always next time. I need to get a policy with third party extension too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Twice.

First one was coming back from Galway to Cork on a Bank Holiday weekend, the car in front was veering left and right, almost going into a verge, hitting cones on the right (when around roadworks), reported it to Trafficwatch, full reg details etc. We had just hung up when he pulled into the side of the road. Not sure if he was drunk or tired driving, he was rubbing his face when we passed. Called back and advised he'd pulled in, they replied saying they're in traffic coming the other way but would get to him.

Second time was heading from Wilton to Bishopstown before the flyover, some goods van moved into the overtaking lane without checking and ran us off the road into the verge, lost the wing mirror. He put the boot down as soon as it happened, I was a passenger so advised we go after him for the reg, he kept lane chopping and indicated to pull off into Dunnes at Bishopstown before gunning it forward to Bandon through the Roundabout. Went straight to the Garda station who took full details, took me 30 minutes to get home (it was my sister who was driving), the Gardai had already been onto the company in question, their owner was on the phone, saying he hadn't spoken to the driver yet but "he was his best driver yadda yadda yadda", they were cautioned in the end, owner offered to pay for everything on the original call anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I haven't reported another driver yet but I have been tempted a few times. I think I get such a shock and a fright at what I see happening that it doesn't occur to me to ring the gardai until after. I do sometimes regret not reporting, what if a collision happens further down the road.

My husband on the other hand, regularly reports dangerous driving. He works in car insurance so he sees the direct effect of dangerous driving. We are lucky the gardai in our town know him at this stage and take his reports seriously and take quick action.

We have family all around the country, so we spend may weekends where we are on the road for a couple of hours - the driving we see it just shocking - is it me or is people's driving getting worse - or is it just our luck that we are seeing so many cases of dangerous driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thevinylword

Never have but there have been instances where I would have liked to. Agree with Sunny Dayz, standards of driving are poorer I think

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Reported a drunk young lad for doing drunk young lad things in his father's Volvo Estate. Ended with him getting a caution.

This morning on the way to work, I was overtakign a van and suffered an excruciating lower back spasm which absolutely shook me. I'd say the van driver must have thought he had an absolute nutcase on his hands. Instead of either ducking back out of the overtake (nothing behind me), or at a pinch, braking & throwing the car over the oncoming lane and into the wide hard shoulder (no oncoming traffic thank God), muppet here drove more or less parallel with the van for FAR too long as I fought the pain, before opting to gun it and compete the manouvre despite by now being way too close to an oncoming bend.

If someone had been coming the other way, there are three vehicles who would have been in a world of hurt. The van driver would have been well within his rights to call it in.

I think I'm a decent enough driver, with nearly 30 years experience and yet I couldn't have made a worse call if I'd tried.

Headed for GP & Physio later. I'll be getting a lift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

What I want to know is if you cause a multiple vehicle collision like rear ending do you get penalty points for careless driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Only one, in Italy, somebody was clearly very drunk at the wheel - swerving randomly, bouncing off the armco, the whole lot. A drunk/incapacitated driver is relatively easy to spot.

Anything else, I wouldn't - as simple as it is, I am not trained to dissect on-the-spot another driver's behaviour or dangerousness based on a 5 seconds long observation, either from the side of the road or from another moving vehicle.

I did take action a couple of times - once managed to signal and stop a van that was disseminating its load on the road and another time, well, I essentially stopped a Carabinieri Jeep that was leaking diesel all over the motorway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Reported a guy throwing various things out the window while driving

Phone books
    Bottles
    Kitchenware (pots/pans)
    Other random bits of stuff, styrofoam etc.

In fairness the Gardai pulled him over by Mallow Garda station, no idea what happened after that.

Advertisement