Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

awww kind of wish I made the effort to go down now haha
    Didn't think it would be as packed as everyone is saying it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There has been full live coverage all night online. First the boats coming in and now at the docks .Its here :
    https://new.livestream.com/volvooceanrace/Leg9

Theyre not in yet, there's more excitement to go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

I just back from salthill was on my bike, nice and warm nite for people watching all the lights in the bay...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Some loud noises emerging from the harbour area has me woken up. I've to work tomorrow people, keep it down..

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

That would be the arrival of Puma and Groupama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This is a pile of fùcking shìte. I have work in the morning. Fùck off boats and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

snubbleste wrote: »
    Some loud noises emerging from the harbour area has me woken up. I've to work tomorrow people, keep it down..

Same, whoever is doing the commentary down there has my windows shaking. That voice needs little amplification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

So annoying! Is there no consideration for those who might want to sleep?

On another note, making streets one way for pedestrians is completely stupid, security asked me for a 'slip' today to prove I lived where I live (on the docks)... Bit much?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

dmcg90 wrote: »
    So annoying! Is there no consideration for those who might want to sleep?

On another note, making streets one way for pedestrians is completely stupid, security asked me for a 'slip' today to prove I lived where I live (on the docks)... Bit much?

No such slips were sent out. Don't take guff from them is probably the best approach. The one way pedestrian streets is odd but I've found they let you through if you just walk on and say you live ''there'' and wave in the direction you are walking.

I presume all this went through a planning process with a time for stakeholder input so I suppose we should have objected then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Anyone know how much longer it's going to go on for?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Seems to have quietened down a bit, but I'm miles from the docks and I can hear everything.
    Next time I'm having a few mates over, I know what the volume limit is on noise pollution I guess.... None.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Pro. F wrote: »
    This is a pile of fùcking shìte. I have work in the morning. Fùck off boats and people.
    jaysus, it's one night!

massive international sporting event and party happening in our relatively small and insignificant town. it's 8 in the morning now and i''m off to work with three hours sleep, wouldn't have missed it for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Irish indo reporting 100,000 strong in the crowd last nite.
    A bit of a stretch but wow !

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

alibabba wrote: »
    Irish indo reporting 100,000 strong in the crowd last nite.
    A bit of a stretch but wow !

That's the Indo we're talking about, so ..... :rolleyes:

Groggy this morning. I watched Camper arrive across from Blackrock in Salthill. Very young and old were down in Blackrock - one child still wrapped in its blanket was being carried by Dad.

I was disappointed the boat was so far away across from Blackrock. One couldn't see much, other than the lights of all the boats accompanying Camper in. It looked from our end as though the boat was arriving in close to the Co Clare coastline and not the Galway one.

Still, I'm glad I was in Galway last night for the best gig ever seen in this town.

Yeah, Galway was crazy about round the world yachting before the Volvo decided to have a stop here, weren't they?
    Feel the passion!

Anyone complaining about last nights event doesn't deserve to be let sleep. I would have absolutely loved to be there last night regardless of work or not in the morning but just couldn't due to working in Cork this morning.

It's a really great event yet people still complain, I just don't understand some people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Its pathetic to hear people on hear complaining about the biggest night in Galways history.Its one night people.....ONE NIGHT!!!

Get a grip for Gods sake.I sure ye will make up your nappy,nappy,sleepy time tonight.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What's the weather like?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

irishgeo wrote: »
    What's the weather like?

Typical July weather

LimGal wrote: »
    Its pathetic to hear people on hear complaining about the biggest night in Galways history.Its one night people.....ONE NIGHT!!!

Get a grip for Gods sake.I sure ye will make up your nappy,nappy,sleepy time tonight.:rolleyes:
    Round the world yachting fans (well since 2009 anyway). The most polite of company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

In fairness the noise level was absurd last night, no need for it to be so loud, I didn't hear a thing from any of the bands earlier but could hear every word yer one was yelling. I, like a lot of people, have work today, stupid they had the set-up so loud considering the docks is a relatively small space.

Anyone complaining about last nights event doesn't deserve to be let sleep.
    Anybody who doesn't complain deserves to be hit by a bus.
    We're playing wish something bad on the other side of the argument here, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Yeah, Galway was crazy about round the world yachting before the Volvo decided to have a stop here, weren't they?
    Feel the passion!
    talk about missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

K.C wrote: »
    irishgeo wrote: »
    What's the weather like?

Typical July weather
    Raining so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Noise woke the girlfriend up, we live in Shantalla!
    Good stuff, I'm glad so many were down to see the ships come in.

Kinda sad to read posters hating on the VOR when it's an event that happens only every few years and bring a lot of attention to this small city, including free bands and other activities. But I suppose not everyone likes the craic.

McTigs wrote: »
    talk about missing the point.
    Go on then, talk about it.
    Almost as if you don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dan Solo, stop arguing or that will be your last post in this thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Round the world yachting fans (well since 2009 anyway). The most polite of company.

I do actually think they are the most polite company tbh.
    What other sporting event could have that many people,alot having consumed alcohol,at that hour of the night and have relativily no trouble except somebody getting a bit too excited on the PA system.

All in all people should be proud to be from Galway after hosting such a huge event in a global sport.:)

Hopefully we can get another stage in the future:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭squonk

Not complaining as such. I was down at the docks and it was really, really good. I'm not in work long but I'm glad I went. I only stayed for the arrival of the first two boats. It was almost 3 at that stage and I really needed to head as I've a job to look after as well.

One thing that was a pain in the hole from a spectator point of view was that they waited for the first group to all finish before letting any of the boats in. Had they let them come in just after crossing the line it would have been more fun. I think they forgot about their spectators in an effort to get some good shots of all 4 boats arriving in together.

I'll probably never see the Docks done out like a stage at a KISS gig again though so from that point of view it was great. Anyone living around the docks was forced to take the day off really though. You just weren't sleeping down there last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Was down the docks last night and the atmosphere was great I didn't see any trouble and there was a great mix of all ages. I have to say though your one on the PA was very annoying

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement