Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dell Inspiron 15 for €219

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

loyatemu wrote: »
    back on topic - would this machine run Minecraft reasonably well - the game requires 4G RAM which this has but not sure about graphics requirements?

GODS NO! :D Minecraft is a horribly, horribly optimised game cause it's written in Java. There are a few things you can do to try and optimise it, but they're for someone who really knows what they're at and loves tinkering with this sort of thing (nice project for a child tbh).

If you want to play games on a computer, you need to spend some money I'm afraid.

For basic web/streaming/communications, this device is a great deal though, had to get the Mammy a new laptop this time last year, wish something like this had been around!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

...and click! €197 was kinda hard to resist.

It's for the daughter, just started college, looks like just the ticket for what she'll be using it for. She even likes matt black... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

How did you get extra discount?

10% discount as per thread linked above... (post #3)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

peckerhead wrote: »
    ...and click! €197 was kinda hard to resist.

It's for the daughter, just started college, looks like just the ticket for what she'll be using it for. She even likes matt black... :pac:
    See here http://www.dell.com/learn/ie/en/ieepp1/campaigns/dell-vip-home-page-ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SeanPammer

and done...

Thanks BA

Some codes below to save someone some vital seconds before midnight if they consider a last minute purchase!!

4WCZ7NX$34P$TS

GXG8KBJNJWMM1R

SXRL?0XQ$WXHTD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

2 just ordered! And to think I was close on paying the full 250 for them! Thanking you to whoever found this BA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

SeanPammer wrote: »

SXRL?0XQ$WXHTD

Appreciate this, but got inspiron 14

Dammit missed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

deegs wrote: »
    Appreciate this, but got inspiron 14

How much was that btw?

If they made a 14 or 13" of this insprion it would be very popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

beauf wrote: »
    How much was that btw?

If they made a 14 or 13" of this insprion it would be very popular.

Was 699 and came down to 629 all in. Everything looks amazing but would have paid extra to replace 500gb with 128ssd other than that, very happy

a be got for 225 now with that vip discount code

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Has anyone received their order? Mine is showing as delivered (22/09/14) on Dell's site, but here I am at home with no delivery. Haven't been able to track my order on the site and I have no idea who the courier is (Dell. SYNE).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flipsky

Razleavy wrote: »
    Has anyone received their order? Mine is showing as delivered (22/09/14) on Dell's site, but here I am at home with no delivery. Haven't been able to track my order on the site and I have no idea who the courier is (Dell. SYNE).

Same for me. According to the website my order was placed and delivered all in the same day! Emailed them but no reply.

Delivered On: 18/09/2014 "Information"
    For Your Information Your complete order has been delivered.
    Tracking Number: 001001199001
    Carrier: SYNE
    Shipping Method: Standard Shipping
    Order Date: 18/09/2014
    Order Number: *********
    Customer Number: IE*******

Update:

Dear ******

Thank you for contacting Dell Online Customer Services with regards to the status of your order.

As per our records I see that your order is estimated to be delivered today on the 22nd Sep 2014.

Please confirm to the receipt of the order, once you receive the package.

I'm assigned as a case manager for your order. Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Kind Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

DPD just delivered it! It's a lovely little machine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

"delivered" on the dell website seems to be delivery from dell to the courier (dpd).
    you then get a text from dpd telling you when to expect delivery.

Got both of mine today also. 2 well spent hours setting them up and cleaning all the sh1t bloatwear off them, which has vastly improved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

Timmaay wrote: »
    Got both of mine today also. 2 well spent hours setting them up and cleaning all the sh1t bloatwear off them, which has vastly improved them.

Tips please:cool:

I got mine today, I haven't opened the box yet

PCDecrapifier sorted mine (which also arrived today following the initial SMS notification received yesterday).

Next stop Ninite.com to download the various runtimes and non-MS applications I want in one handy installer. :)

loopymum wrote: »
    Tips please:cool:

I got mine today, I haven't opened the box yet

Ultimate fix would be to wipe the hard disk and install windows 7!

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ultimate fix would be to wipe the hard disk and install windows 7!
    Agreed. But the daughter likes the pretty coloured tiles... ;)

If I find it struggling after a while I might yet talk her into a "downgrade".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you just get Start8 or whatever, there really is minimal difference between Win8 and Win7. I forget I'm using Win8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

If you just get Start8 or whatever, there really is minimal difference between Win8 and Win7. I forget I'm using Win8.

Classic Shell is a good one too.

Few tweeks and W8 over w7 everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Apart from the missing start menu windows 8 is actually a great improvement, if you regularly have to move files or do OS work its a boon, better task manager and file copy control. To be honest I just pin all my commonly used stuff to the task bar, right click the start button for control panel/shutdown and I rarely have to go mucking around with tiles.

Having issues with chrome being horribly slow however. Googling solutions at the minute but haven't come to the bottom of it. My shockingly poor broadband isn't helping matters. I think I've all auto updates turned off on the laptop at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

peckerhead wrote: »
    PCDecrapifier sorted mine (which also arrived today following the initial SMS notification received yesterday).

Next stop Ninite.com to download the various runtimes and non-MS applications I want in one handy installer. :)

Which program's did you remove with PC Decrapafier. Most seemed to be acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I missed this deal but am still thinking of buying this laptop as I want to get a good valued laptop for very very basic use for my mother.
    She will only be using it for very light use- some Internet browsing that's about it.

Would you guys still recommend this laptop at the €250 price?

Or do you think I'd get something cheaper that would still suit her needs?
    Although I'm pretty good with technology myself I always feel overwhelmed buying laptops since there are so many types offering so many different specs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

augusta24 wrote: »
    I missed this deal but am still thinking of buying this laptop as I want to get a good valued laptop for very very basic use for my mother.
    She will only be using it for very light use- some Internet browsing that's about it.

Would you guys still recommend this laptop at the €250 price?

Or do you think I'd get something cheaper that would still suit her needs?
    Although I'm pretty good with technology myself I always feel overwhelmed buying laptops since there are so many types offering so many different specs!

It's still very good value, you could try finding a discount code or singing up for a vip code.
    The laptop is well suited to what you're describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Hi

I’m looking at buying a new laptop to use while I’m travelling.

I’ll mainly use it for streaming TV via Sky Go etc and will use it for limited gaming (Football Manager will probably be the most demanding resource wise and this is probably going to be the key determiner performance wise)

I have looked at 2 Dell laptops I can get via the VIP club:

Inspiron 15 5547
    Intel Core i7-4510U processor (4M Cache up to 3.1 GHz)
    8GB 2 DIMM (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600Mhz
    1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    AMD Radeon™ HD R7 M265 2GB DDR3 Video Card
    Intel® Centrino® Wireless-AC 3160 + Bluetooth 4.0
    Price: €584

Inspiron 15 7537
    Intel® Core™ i7-4510U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
    16GB 2 DIMM (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600Mhz
    1TB 5400 rpm SATA Hybrid Hard Drive with 8GB Cache
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 750M 2GB DDR5 Video Card
    Intel® Wireless-N 7260 BGN + Bluetooth 4.0
    Price: €809

I’d appreciate views on whether:

a) The Inspiron 7537 above is worth paying an extra €225 for considering what I’m going to be using it for.
    b) Whether an I7 is worth for what I’ll be using it for (going to be little multi-tasking)
    c) Should I be considering another brand? Have bought Dells PCs and Laptops for years as I always found them reliable and reasonably good value for money but should I be looking at something else?

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

Coat22 wrote: »
    Hi
    I’d appreciate views on whether:

a) The Inspiron 7537 above is worth paying an extra €225 for considering what I’m going to be using it for.
    b) Whether an I7 is worth for what I’ll be using it for (going to be little multi-tasking)
    c) Should I be considering another brand? Have bought Dells PCs and Laptops for years as I always found them reliable and reasonably good value for money but should I be looking at something else?

Thanks all

From what you say you will need it for I would say that the i7 and the spec is more than you will need.... it is up to you and your budget.... if you can afford it then this is a great system that will run any of the games out there at the moment and would future proof you for quite a while....

Advertisement