Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SJ4000 1080p Waterproof Action Cam (GoPro Alt) - €58.94 Delivered [Aliexpress.com]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

mrcheez wrote: »
    Got the camera today from Foxoffer. It's one of the SJCAM models with the latest OS even though I'd opted for one of the earlier (cheaper) SJ4000s. So I'm assuming it's the genuine article.

Mine arrived this morning as well after a customs bill of 23 quid :(

Won't get a chance to look at it 'til the weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Ok, so I ordered via foxoffer but cancelled the offer as they couldn't guarantee postage times.

Bought with banggoods and the camera order is still 'processing' since Sept 19th.

I leave for Rio on Oct 10th. Game of nerves!

Will I just order from foxoffer too and whichever one arrives first, take it and send back the later arriving one.

Or will I just cancel all orders and buy one from a donedeal seller?! aahhh :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What about a UK seller on ebay?should have it in less than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

connundrum wrote: »
    Ok, so I ordered via foxoffer but cancelled the offer as they couldn't guarantee postage times.

Bought with banggoods and the camera order is still 'processing' since Sept 19th.

I leave for Rio on Oct 10th. Game of nerves!

Will I just order from foxoffer too and whichever one arrives first, take it and send back the later arriving one.

Or will I just cancel all orders and buy one from a donedeal seller?! aahhh :mad:

Let it rest until Sunday. If still "processing" at that stage then order one from UK seller.

When you get back from trip sell one of them (I'm sure they keep their value if unused!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

DX are selling an sj5000 now. No much online about it. Wonder what thats like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Dr Nic wrote: »
    DX are selling an sj5000 now. No much online about it. Wonder what thats like...

Only info I can find is the link from the promo mail they sent earlier this week

http://www.dx.com/p/amkov-sj5000-14-0-mp-2-3-cmos-1080p-full-hd-wifi-outdoor-sports-digital-video-camera-black-339612?utm_source=dx&utm_medium=edm&utm_campaign=20140922sj5000accessories#.VCLQ0OhwZpU

DX shipping time - both time to dispatch and actual post time - have been pants for last year or more.

Dr Nic wrote: »

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2252280

"So just friendly warning, SJ5000s sold on DX are NOT original ones."

I think it's just larger back display and 14MP camera... but the battery looks huge. Meh I'm happy enough with this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭pedatron

Lads I'm trying to set up the camera to take a time lapse this weekend but can't find the setting. Saw some thing about sequence 'on' but can't see it on my menu. Haven't really checked anywhere for advice yet. Is it a firmware thing do lads know? I'll have a proper loom tomorrow but would be great to hear any advice.

Thanks,
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

What is the SJCAM version? Mine just came there and its one of those I got the WiFi version.

Etnies wrote: »
    What is the SJCAM version? Mine just came there and its one of those I got the WiFi version.

SJCAM is the branding applied to the latest cameras coming from the official manufacturer, apparently to differentiate them from fakes.

Of course there's nothing stopping the other manufacturers just sticking SJCAM across the front of theirs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

SJCAM is the branding applied to the latest cameras coming from the official manufacturer, apparently to differentiate them from fakes.

Of course there's nothing stopping the other manufacturers just sticking SJCAM across the front of theirs :rolleyes:

Happy days so, thought I got the fake faked version, so many accessories I dunno when Im gonna use half of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Alkers

So where's the best link to get one of these from, delivery time isn't important.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    So where's the best link to get one of these from, delivery time isn't important.

I got mine from geekbuying.com and got stung by customs for 30 quid. They had it marked as commercial sample too.

Simona1986 wrote: »

I think the Banggood option might avoid customs, but be sure you don't select "Standard Delivery" when ordering, and instead select to go via Netherlands.
    Some people are saying delivery from banggood is slow or items are still marked as "processing"

The Foxoffer method seems to be fastest (mine took 7 days) but prone to getting caught at customs. Advantage is you get a spare battery and battery charger. You will need the spare battery to future-proof the device as they may not supply batteries for that model in a few years.

Nevertheless, even if you are caught with the customs charge it works out the same price as ordering from Amazon.co.uk or other European suppliers (incl delivery) so I wouldn't be too freaked when the customs officer comes calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I think the Banggood option might avoid customs, but be sure you don't select "Standard Delivery" when ordering, and instead select to go via Netherlands.
    Some people are saying delivery from banggood is slow or items are still marked as "processing"

The Foxoffer method seems to be fastest (mine took 7 days) but prone to getting caught at customs. Advantage is you get a spare battery and battery charger. You will need the spare battery to future-proof the device as they may not supply batteries for that model in a few years.

Nevertheless, even if you are caught with the customs charge it works out the same price as ordering from Amazon.co.uk or other European suppliers (incl delivery) so I wouldn't be too freaked when the customs officer comes calling.

I ordered from banggood , first time through the tracked shipping which took 4 or 5 weeks and got hit by customs , second time through the Netherlands which took about 2 weeks and didn't get stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Finally got around to playing with the camera this evening. Decent enough quality even at night.

(Editing the video brought it down to 720p, the original footage is better again at 1080p).

Looking forward to trying it out in daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

I got mine from aliexpress a few days ago, managed to avoid customs. I'm finding it difficult to tell if it's a fake or not. I googled for pointers on how to tell if it is but there isn't much as a result of so many different variations of fakes which are excellent apparently. I did see the fox website where they showed the difference in photos. My plastic casing looks grand and is snug/not too big. The "water resistant" description on the packaging was spelt correctly. The only thing that i'm curious about is that when I turn it on/off, hello and goodbye pop up and not the logo as I would have expected?

I did buy it for cycling really but I do think i'd look a knob with it stuck on on helmet so in retrospect I should have bought something smaller instead. I stuck it onto my handlebars yesterday and although i've nothing to compare it to, I do think the quality of the video is as good as one can hope considering it has to absorb the vibrations sitting on the handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I did buy it for cycling really but I do think i'd look a knob with it stuck on on helmet so in retrospect I should have bought something smaller instead. I stuck it onto my handlebars yesterday and although i've nothing to compare it to, I do think the quality of the video is as good as one can hope considering it has to absorb the vibrations sitting on the handlebars.

Just pretend your Danny Macaskill and do loads of backflips and jumps on your way to work, the helmet cam will look grand then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I got mine from aliexpress a few days ago, managed to avoid customs. I'm finding it difficult to tell if it's a fake or not. I googled for pointers on how to tell if it is but there isn't much as a result of so many different variations of fakes which are excellent apparently. I did see the fox website where they showed the difference in photos. My plastic casing looks grand and is snug/not too big. The "water resistant" description on the packaging was spelt correctly. The only thing that i'm curious about is that when I turn it on/off, hello and goodbye pop up and not the logo as I would have expected?

If you bought it off aliexpress you can gaurantee it's a knock off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    If you bought it off aliexpress you can gaurantee it's a knock off...

..and you can make stuff up and tell it to people as fact.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Mod-Snip-Abusive post

Think you need to read the thread before you post silly posts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

pedatron wrote: »
    Lads I'm trying to set up the camera to take a time lapse this weekend but can't find the setting. Saw some thing about sequence 'on' but can't see it on my menu. Haven't really checked anywhere for advice yet. Is it a firmware thing do lads know? I'll have a proper loom tomorrow but would be great to hear any advice.

Thanks,
    P

select capture mode select time interval 3, 5 ,10 ,20 seconds in mine then switch out of the setup screen and switch to camera mode (view screen appears wider) and click the top button to start

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭blade1

sheesh wrote: »
    select capture mode select time interval 3, 5 ,10 ,20 seconds in mine then switch out of the setup screen and switch to camera mode (view screen appears wider) and click the top button to start

Any chance you'd know if the volume can be adjusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

blade1 wrote: »
    Any chance you'd know if the volume can be adjusted?

looks like it can only be turned on or off given that it is an action camera and spends most of its life in a waterproof case I suppose they figured it was not very important :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras/hero/CHDHA-301-EU.html

GoPro just announced a 125euro camera. Looks likely to shake things up a bit in the helmet cam world. I think I would go for one at that price to be honest! I had been considering an SJ4000 after getting a bit caught out with a clone, but now I'll wait and see what happens with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

GoPro just announced a 125euro camera. Looks likely to shake things up a bit in the helmet cam world. I think I would go for one at that price to be honest! I had been considering an SJ4000 after getting a bit caught out with a clone, but now I'll wait and see what happens with this!

Interesting. However the price of some of the extras (which are all standard with the sj4000)! 39.99 for a plug has to be a mistake though!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Timmaay wrote: »
    Interesting. However the price of some of the extras (which are all standard with the sj4000)! 39.99 for a plug has to be a mistake though!

It charges via USB, any usb plug you can buy will charge it. And all the mounts you can buy on the likes of deal extreme for peanuts will work for it. So no real worries there imo! GoPro are just gauging people on the accessories, which is why buying noname accessories is so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Any idea what functionality it loses over it's big brothers? I had a read through the page but there's no indication.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Any idea what functionality it loses over it's big brothers? I had a read through the page but there's no indication.

No touchscreen, or high speed shooting. Still has 1080p 30, and 720p 60 so all good there. You also cannot remove it from the waterproof case....no real issue there either as far as I can see. No Wifi...but again it's not something I'd want. It appears to have everything else, and should give top quality images. All looks good to me, will have to wait until it's released to see what the quality is like.

I'd say the second hand market for GoPro hero 3 will take a massive hit.

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but just read the founder of gopro is now worth $5 billion... Think I'd rather give my money to the Chinese :)

Advertisement