Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I am a Moderator not happy with attitude of Construction & Planning moderators?

Options
  • 27-08-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

I started this thread in Construction and Planning forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057022836

To me it seemed a pretty straightforward query. However I was unhappy with the attitude of some of the moderators (not all of them I emphasise) who tried to twist the argument into something that was not intended. As the thread progresses the mods seem to work together on the basis of a false premise which they had suggested. When I failed to take the bait I was accused of advocating illegality and also had it put to me several times in a mocking fashion that I did not 'understand'.

I would ask people for feedback in regard of the thread. I particularly would appreciate opinion on the attitude, as I put it, contained in the thread- the forum charter of that section of the site mentions 'good manners' which I feel are missing. I don't think that this type of aggressive ganging up is acceptable by anyone, but in this case when it is a grouping of moderators it seems more serious. To me, moderating is about helping the site run smoothly but there is a danger with some people that they see it as a power to belittle others. As the thread in C & P has progressed I have received a number of PM's that suggest that this type of practice is common in that particular forum- hence I feel that a wider range of feedback may be necessary to see if this is a problem for others.

The starting point is the thread linked as an example of what I see as being uncivil moderating. Is it acceptable type of response from mods or not?

I would urge comments to be generalised and not to mention specific individuals if at all possible.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Your observations and experiences are 100% in line with my own experiences in other threads. I have been complaining for a while and have encountered identical responses in my complaints and those I experienced originally.

I think moderators have a responsibility to be polite, impartial and evenhanded, moderate perhaps, in their moderation. This has not been my experience and I have asked for the high-fiving to be removed as it is being used as a bullying tactic to show solidarity with a bullying / sarcastic moderator without actually posting anything.

I agree 100% with your observations and experiences which closely align with mine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sorry but I'm down to post 17 before I gave up and I'd side with the Construct mods here (at least until that point of the thread; I can't comment beyond that); you appear to want to suggest that there is a loophole (do it illegal by not certifying "as people will always find a way") and yet claim you don't suggest doing anything illegal and argue pedantic points for the sake of argument.

Beyond this you appear to be crossing over multiple topics in one thread (future legislation, current legislation, knowing the details of certification to be able to cut out parts of a qoute in for example) which only adds to the over all confusion of what you are actually trying to achieve / find out. To be honest I still can't figure out what you wanted to achieve with starting the thread but if I'd guess it would relate to somehow cutting down the cost of building something by cutting something in a qoute by knowing minimum certifiction requirements but that's only best guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Nody wrote: »
    Sorry but I'm down to post 17 before I gave up and I'd side with the Construct mods here (at least until that point of the thread; I can't comment beyond that); you appear to want to suggest that there is a loophole (do it illegal by not certifying "as people will always find a way") and yet claim you don't suggest doing anything illegal and argue pedantic points for the sake of argument.

Beyond this you appear to be crossing over multiple topics in one thread (future legislation, current legislation, knowing the details of certification to be able to cut out parts of a qoute in for example) which only adds to the over all confusion of what you are actually trying to achieve / find out. To be honest I still can't figure out what you wanted to achieve with starting the thread but if I'd guess it would relate to somehow cutting down the cost of building something by cutting something in a qoute by knowing minimum certifiction requirements but that's only best guess.

Thanks Nody- If you get the time read the rest of the thread- It does get more interesting (I promise!!!).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

hi Jonnie,

As a Mod yourself, you should know your first step would be to contact the CMod in question.
    After that, the DRP forum.

Or even the Mod forum as a last resort to see if there could be a way to sort this out.

It would also be useful if you could report the comments you have a problem with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement