Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does owning a Kindle change your reading habits?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I tend to rotate between the Kindle and physical books. I'm sad to say the only sufferer in my reading rotation has been the library, especially since I moved up to Dublin. The fact that the library isn't near me and I have two weeks to get the books back leads to the library being the one to suffer. I'd rather buy something for a couple of dollars (as an aside, does anyone else find that the price being in dollars lead them to thinking "wow that's so cheap?!")

I still buy physical books (WAY too much!) but they tend to be things I want to keep now. I'd use the Kindle for something throwaway which I probably won't read again.

The weight thing is a massive plus too, ever since I got it I'd always use it for travelling.

It was a present for me too and I was a bit unsure about it at first, but I'm a convert!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I got a Kindle from my Dad and a cd from his friend with 1,300 books on it. I spent a good two hours deleting ones that I'll never read (Jane Austen, Agatha Christie, etc.) and organising them into collections of authors. I've a lot more work ahead to get rid of the rest that I don't want.

I literally just started reading a paper copy of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and I think I'll continue with it. When I finish, I'll go on with the Kindle. I'm excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I love my Kindle, I've had it for 3 years.

I got the first one with the keyboard. Great for travelling and very handy to fit in a coat pocket.

I browse online now rather than in a bookstore. I still occasionally read paper books that I borrow from the library.

I would say that I read a lot more now because if my Kindle. I'd be lost without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ferriter

I love the small physical library that has evolved over the years. It's rather haphazard. They are books that meant something to me as a teenager - dreadful Stephen King and great Stephen King. Angst ridden student phase - from Marx through Friedman. Tackled many of the 'difficult books' at that stage as well. The young mind is a fountain. It reads; not sure it's fully understood. Kafka, much of Joyce, and all of Kant are authors who remain beyond me. I must learn to accept my limitations.

Amazon is great for hearing or reading about a book, before deciding to buy it. It's very spontaneous. I like my wee Kindle collection. You can't read the Kindle in the bath though. Or put it on a shelf with a bookmark. Or make it really tangible.

I think Bezos first tackled an industry that will last far longer than the other industries he has tackled. The feel of a good book good. Cracking back the page before you read. That is beyond technology. It appeals to a deeper nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

It hasn't really changed my habits, although I am only a recent convert, so we'll see what happens.

On the positive, it's great for travelling and for getting out of copyright books for free. Negatives (for me) is the cost of buying any books still in copyright (I use the library a lot, so pretty much all hard physical books are free), it's very annoying if you forget to charge and it runs out (might not be an issue for someone who uses it more, though) and compatibility issues.

I use it when it suits and it's grand, but I still read and prefer a physical book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I resisted getting one for years but had to give in last Christmas. We bought a house last year and there just seems to be books everywhere! I'll still buy physical books I really want like the recent Amy Poehler one but for stuff I'm not sure about, I'll put them on my kindle. I've already read more so far this year than I had at the same point last year and I just can't get over how cheap everything is for it! I was never really a library user so I'm used to handing over 15 or 20 euro for a new hardcover. Am so happy I finally gave in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 writerful

Jumping on the kindle bandwagon when they were first launched has changed my reading habits. I read a lot more books not to mention revisiting all those classics that are freely available as well as pushing long articles to my device which I may have given up less than half way through because of the strain of reading such articles on a computer screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Vernonymous

It changed my reading habits. I more books compare before in buying a hardcopy

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

I bought one a month ago. About two years ago I was given a present of one but balked at the idea of using a "gadget" to replace my favourite things in the world and returned. I recently joined a book-club and decided to invest as it would be a convenient means of fulfilling the book-club obligations. I am loving it so far. The ease of access to materials that would otherwise be only readable to me on a computer screen is great. For instance collections of essays that are out of print are easily obtained in pdf. But I'm doing a PhD and spend enough awful hours glaring at this godawful screen that to do read them on a computer when I want to relax is a paradox I wish to avoid. I bought the basic kindle and the screen is great. It's most definitely more gentle on the eyes then a monitor. It will never replace books as the main source of my reading, I love the feel of and feeling I get from a new copy of something too much, but I'm definitely happy with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Getting a Kindle has made me read a lot more due to the easiness of getting books either free online or paying through amazon.

It is without a doubt the best present I have ever gotten - incredible battery life, still intact after being thrown around by a 2 year old and doesn't have any bothers with connecting to wi-fi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I have a kindle which I'm perfectly happy with for reading books, however as an avid magazine reader,the paper kind, I'm contemplating buying a Kindle Fire 8 for reading them from now on.

I use the Zinio/library app plus Issuu every now and again on my phone and I'm quite happy with it, however the font and pages are too small and I need something better.

Is the Kindle Fire the way to go or should I invest in a tablet?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Donal55 wrote: »
    I have a kindle which I'm perfectly happy with for reading books, however as an avid magazine reader,the paper kind, I'm contemplating buying a Kindle Fire 8 for reading them from now on.

I use the Zinio/library app plus Issuu every now and again on my phone and I'm quite happy with it, however the font and pages are too small and I need something better.

Is the Kindle Fire the way to go or should I invest in a tablet?
    Thanks.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite but, as I'm a huge library user, also bought a Fire last year to use for the library online services, both magazines (Zinio) and ebooks. It's perfect for that and as it has blue light shading this makes reading easier on the eyes especially at night. However, if you also want to do a lot of internet searching maybe a tablet might be better as the Silk browser on the Fire, while adequate, is basic. Unlike the Kindle neither the tablet nor the Fire is great for reading in sunlight though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Wyldwood wrote: »
    I have a Kindle Paperwhite but, as I'm a huge library user, also bought a Fire last year to use for the library online services, both magazines (Zinio) and ebooks. It's perfect for that and as it has blue light shading this makes reading easier on the eyes especially at night. However, if you also want to do a lot of internet searching maybe a tablet might be better as the Silk browser on the Fire, while adequate, is basic. Unlike the Kindle neither the tablet nor the Fire is great for reading in sunlight though.

Thanks for that. I think I'll go with the Kindle fire, between the 'phone and the laptop I've enough devices for browsing the internet.
    I think its time I did more reading.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wouldn't be without it for anyone. It has increased my reading completely. I can have a few books on the go at the same time in the one place. I can read in blazing sunshine when on hols. I go a bit mad on Amazon though. Buy one, buy the lot!

Advertisement