Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reccomend A Book/Series

• 16-10-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for reccomendations for a book or series of books to get my teeth into now that I have a little more free time.

I am looking along the lines if the Lord of The Rings or Wheel of Times as I have really enjoyed both experiences for different reasons.

What would the wise people of boards pick ?

Emmet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

How about the Game of Thrones books, A Song Of Ice And Fire by George R.R. Martin?

I see a little of people here recommend Terry Pratchett's works.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

About time you got your teeth into Robin Hobb, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Aenaes wrote: »
    How about the Game of Thrones books, A Song Of Ice And Fire by George R.R. Martin?

I see a little of people here recommend Terry Pratchett's works.

I haven't really been interested in the Game of Thrones TV series but I hear
    the book is good. Might give it a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you want something a little more on the 'epic' side, Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is a wonderful read.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

About to start #3 in Ken Follett's Century Trilogy. Really enjoyed the first two, and they're good and long!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

A Song of Ice and Fire is brilliant! You will be gutted waiting for the last two books to come out. There's a lot more going on than in the TV show.

The Mists of Avalon is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have a better look this evening and see what I'll jump into first.
    Say I will end up reading them all eventually :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

While only 2 books into the 10 books planned in the series, Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives is shaping up to be an excellent read.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Robin Hobb's "The Farseer Trilogy"! It's seriously good. I was looking for something after reading the first Game of Thrones book as I just found it way too much and I just fell in love with the whole series. I've moved on to the second trilogy, "The Live Ship Traders" and it's very good.

She has a whole load of trilogies that are all based in and around the same lands you'll read of familiar towns and events. It's great!

Advertisement