Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J1 San Francisco 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keith_d

hi me and a 4 friends are travelling to Berkeley this summer on a j1, anyone have any recommendations of where to find accommodation? we would be more than happy to share with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 finnci

keith_d wrote: »
    hi me and a 4 friends are travelling to Berkeley this summer on a j1, anyone have any recommendations of where to find accommodation? we would be more than happy to share with people.

A lot of people are recommending waiting till you get there to find somewhere, but also a lot seem to be talking about the frats etc associated with Berkeley College. Sublets from current students should be up soon also seeing as its almost the end of term

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Who has gone to SF before, and if you have how much have you paid re accom?

Getting quoted 500 dollars for a frat , is that a lot for a frat for the month?

Also, what kind of jobs are people looking at or have worked at before in SF? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aoife_m

Anyone still looking people to live with in San Fran? I'm going for two months from 10th June to August 21st. Would like to live with as many people as possible for the cost and the craic. A friend and I are going out together were both 21 and hope to get jobs in a bar or restaurant. Pretty flexible on area etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

aoife_m wrote: »
    Anyone still looking people to live with in San Fran? I'm going for two months from 10th June to August 21st. Would like to live with as many people as possible for the cost and the craic. A friend and I are going out together were both 21 and hope to get jobs in a bar or restaurant. Pretty flexible on area etc.

Yeah we are two people coming from the 15th June..want to meet up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Cathyokw

we've booked ours, €500 security deposit which we should get back and then €500 a month. That seems to be the going rate really! although the rooms are unfurnished which is a bit of a pain so no beds or anything :/

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

how did you get in touch with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

As somebody living in the states for nearly three years now let me put a point across or possibly have some of my own questions answered by J1'ers or would be J1'ers.

I've seen quite a few people I know and other friends of friends travel to California on a J1. Usually LA, San Diego or San Francisco. Even know some that went to Huntington Beach and Santa Barbara. California is one of the most expensive states in terms of cost of living. The pay is relatively crap for non-skilled work there, most people who work non-skilled jobs there work multiple jobs. My question is, do people who go on J1's have the luxury of just going for the experience rather than to save money to put toward their next college year?

I've seen pictures from J1 trips where they go to music festivals, Disney Land etc. Disney Land is stupid expensive. I can't understand how somebody who works in Popeyes chicken can afford Disney Land, rent and have money towards the next college years rent. What's really the deal?

Also, as somebody who has been all over California. LA is a dump. San Diego is ok but it's not quite what you'd expect, there's a lot of poverty and crime there. San Francisco has a huge homeless population and a really strange uppity hipster vibe. The nicest place I've been to in California so far was Monterey.

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    how did you get in touch with them?

Most of them have Facebook pages!! Just look up a list of the frats in berkeley online then search for them on fb and send them mails! I sent a good 20/30 out before I got a reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aLyons

Cathyokw wrote: »
    we've booked ours, €500 security deposit which we should get back and then €500 a month. That seems to be the going rate really! although the rooms are unfurnished which is a bit of a pain so no beds or anything :/

What kind of accommodation did ye get through a frat house or an apartment?

• Advertisement

aLyons wrote: »
    What kind of accommodation did ye get through a frat house or an apartment?

Frat house, like we are getting a double room that's pretty much it. Gas water electricity wifi etc are all included too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wompa1 wrote: »
    As somebody living in the states for nearly three years now let me put a point across or possibly have some of my own questions answered by J1'ers or would be J1'ers.

I've seen quite a few people I know and other friends of friends travel to California on a J1. Usually LA, San Diego or San Francisco. Even know some that went to Huntington Beach and Santa Barbara. California is one of the most expensive states in terms of cost of living. The pay is relatively crap for non-skilled work there, most people who work non-skilled jobs there work multiple jobs. My question is, do people who go on J1's have the luxury of just going for the experience rather than to save money to put toward their next college year?

I've seen pictures from J1 trips where they go to music festivals, Disney Land etc. Disney Land is stupid expensive. I can't understand how somebody who works in Popeyes chicken can afford Disney Land, rent and have money towards the next college years rent. What's really the deal?

Also, as somebody who has been all over California. LA is a dump. San Diego is ok but it's not quite what you'd expect, there's a lot of poverty and crime there. San Francisco has a huge homeless population and a really strange uppity hipster vibe. The nicest place I've been to in California so far was Monterey.

I did 2 J1s so I think I'm placed to answer your questions; majority of people save up or get some sort of assistance from the parents to fund this. Program cost to get over there will be ~€1000 plus another ~€1000 ($1400) to get set up over there with deposits/rents etc. So you're probably looking @ €2k ($2.75k) to get set up and in the market for a job over there. You can generally then break it down into 4 categories of J1ers;

[A] Get a job; support themeselves for the summer after the initial capital. You'll have quite a comfortable life but you'll come home with nothing; an end of J1 trip and Abercrombie & Hollister will eat up everything you've left over

Don't get job; live off the initial capital and maybe a bailout out or two from relatives but eventually run out of money towards the end of July and head home.

[C] Don't get a job; don't need to get a job. Either have funded it themselves entirely (minority) or are from sufficient means (read; high income family) not to need to. Can do virtually everything.

[D] Do/Don't get a job, but are looked after by the local GAA club. Some of the players will get set up, some won't, some won't need to.

I worked a tipping job in Chicago and made a fortune; went to Lolla, Vegas, Six Flags, out 5 nights a week, cooked for myself (outside of BBQs) once the whole summer. Covered it easily. If you rent a two bedder you can easily squeeze 7/8 into it which will drive your rent down to maybe $200 a month. You can eat for $10 a day, 3 cans of Natty Ice or some other such piss costs ~$17. You really can live cheaply there.

Cath, just to clarify, is that 500 euro or dollars? If it's euro then that's 695 dolls which is an awful lot.

I got quoted 500 dollars but was/ am erring, as felt it was a lot to pay for staying out in Berkley.

Can I ask which frat emailed you? You can pm if you want, just want to know if it was the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

cson wrote: »
    I did 2 J1s so I think I'm placed to answer your questions; majority of people save up or get some sort of assistance from the parents to fund this. Program cost to get over there will be ~€1000 plus another ~€1000 ($1400) to get set up over there with deposits/rents etc. So you're probably looking @ €2k ($2.75k) to get set up and in the market for a job over there. You can generally then break it down into 4 categories of J1ers;

[A] Get a job; support themeselves for the summer after the initial capital. You'll have quite a comfortable life but you'll come home with nothing; an end of J1 trip and Abercrombie & Hollister will eat up everything you've left over

Don't get job; live off the initial capital and maybe a bailout out or two from relatives but eventually run out of money towards the end of July and head home.

[C] Don't get a job; don't need to get a job. Either have funded it themselves entirely (minority) or are from sufficient means (read; high income family) not to need to. Can do virtually everything.

[D] Do/Don't get a job, but are looked after by the local GAA club. Some of the players will get set up, some won't, some won't need to.

I worked a tipping job in Chicago and made a fortune; went to Lolla, Vegas, Six Flags, out 5 nights a week, cooked for myself (outside of BBQs) once the whole summer. Covered it easily. If you rent a two bedder you can easily squeeze 7/8 into it which will drive your rent down to maybe $200 a month. You can eat for $10 a day, 3 cans of Natty Ice or some other such piss costs ~$17. You really can live cheaply there.

Thanks for that. I would suspect that you were one of the fortunate people to get a high tipping job. But I also guess that since you come over for the summer, you don't need to declare your tips for taxes like somebody in the US would.

It's funny you say the 8 people to a two bedroom apartment. When I was in San Diego, I had a Taxi Driver from Somalia who told me he thought the Irish were very poor people, they have to come to America during the summer to make money to go to school back home and live in small apartment with little furniture and 8 people in each.

Cath, just to clarify, is that 500 euro or dollars? If it's euro then that's 695 dolls which is an awful lot.

I got quoted 500 dollars but was/ am erring, as felt it was a lot to pay for staying out in Berkley.

Hey, can I ask where you got those quotes?
    Also is that frat or apartment?

finnci wrote: »
    Hey, can I ask where you got those quotes?
    Also is that frat or apartment?

Hey Finnci, I got them off the frat house Alpha Epilson, I haven't heard back from them in a few days though!

Anyone got any luck with finding accommodation on craigslist?
    I've emailed a few but got no replies as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Getting close now gang! Just over 3 weeks for me!

Any tips? What are people doing money wise, they going to transfer it all to dollars before they go or what? I'd be afraid of having tons of cash on me especially with staying in hostel for the first few days!

Obrieski wrote: »
    Getting close now gang! Just over 3 weeks for me!

Any tips? What are people doing money wise, they going to transfer it all to dollars before they go or what? I'd be afraid of having tons of cash on me especially with staying in hostel for the first few days!

Money wise, have ya heard of the An Post card?.. Think its called the Post FX Currency Card or something similar

Could be handy I suppose?

Yas got accommodation sorted?.. I havent, hoping there's still quite a few in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KeaneyD

It seems like everyone here is in the same boat with regards to not really having the accommodation sorted?

I am really hoping that the Frat houses do not fill up because I have had to delay my flights by a week because of Exams and frat houses seem like the best craic and cheapest means to survive haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Money wise, have ya heard of the An Post card?.. Think its called the Post FX Currency Card or something similar

Could be handy I suppose?

Yas got accommodation sorted?.. I havent, hoping there's still quite a few in the same boat

I've heard of it alright! Was just thinking myself that I might change a few hundred euros into dollars before I go...and then when I open my US bank account to just transfer it all across that way!

No accomodation sorted, we've emailed a few places, and similar to the jobs front they say wait until you're over there. Others are asking for money up front before I even leave here...no chance am I going to do that though. Want to see in person where I'll be living.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aLyons

KeaneyD wrote: »
    It seems like everyone here is in the same boat with regards to not really having the accommodation sorted?

I am really hoping that the Frat houses do not fill up because I have had to delay my flights by a week because of Exams and frat houses seem like the best craic and cheapest means to survive haha

Have you tried contact any frat houses? I'm hoping to try sort something soon but havent really look into it. Have you any contact numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seanie..

have a frat in berkeley organised for 6 girls.. need 2 more people to fill beds.. would be $350 a month and the lease is from 21may to 20aug i think! anyone interested??

seanie.. wrote: »
    have a frat in berkeley organised for 6 girls.. need 2 more people to fill beds.. would be $350 a month and the lease is from 21may to 20aug i think! anyone interested??

Does it have to be girls?

and which frat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seanie..

Does it have to be girls?

and which frat?

well preferably girls as its room sharing, do ye have 2 guys? its Alpha Sigma Phi

• Registered Users Posts: 1 era_da_nurru

Hi guys
    Me and a pal are heading to San Fran on June 2nd and looking for a place to stay and work
    Im 23 and he's 21
    Seanie wants the chance in staying with yous? We're both doing social care so you can probably guess were not arseholes haha!
    Were just keeping our options open and would even head to San Diego if we knew we had something lined up
    Anyways get back on to me, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 joecal1991

Hey,

I am going to San Diego and have my accommodation sorted in Mission Bay, where all the bars and jobs are. The people I am going with still have apartments. They also have apartments in Berkeley if you are interested. My name on facebook is Joe Cal should you want any information.

Joe

So I've been talking to a few other people staying in frats and the rooms don't actually have beds... Like we've to sort out our own sleeping stuff. Anyone have any ideas as to where/what to get? If we bought a bed what would we even do with it after 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WhatNowHow

Cathyokw wrote: »
    So I've been talking to a few other people staying in frats and the rooms don't actually have beds... Like we've to sort out our own sleeping stuff. Anyone have any ideas as to where/what to get? If we bought a bed what would we even do with it after 3 months?

Some frats do...the one I'm staying in says all the furniture in the room will be there.
    But as far as I know those without furniture just buy blow up mattresses. I suppose if you found a cheap bed it might be worth it..you could try sell it when you're done?

• Advertisement

Heading out tomorrow lads, if anyone has room for 4 people i'd love to hear!

We're 3 lads 1 girl all good craic and not gonna wreck the head too much

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement