Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British Army Helmet Bands

Options
  • 18-04-2012 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I've a question and I know some people here were/are in the British military so I said I'd pop it up here.

Why do British soldiers wrap a rubber band thing, gun tape, or even insulation tape around the rims of their helmets sometimes? May seam like a dumb question but I really haven't a clue. It seams to be something that British soldiers seam to do and no-one else does. Is it to keep the helmet cover on?

I've noticed that Irish soldiers in the 80's and 90's did it too. But you never see Irish Army guys with it done now.

Whats it for, and what is it? Is it tape or gun tape or what?

I've attached photos to show what I'm on about.

Cheers! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

When I was a cadet we used sniper tape to ensure that the DPM cover wouldn't come off the helmet while in the field (not that it ever should have). I assume that its used for more or less the same reason in the army although I can't be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Irish Army didn't get decent helmet covers until the 90's the black rubber band was to keep the scrim net for camo in place.
    Helmet Covers have a nasty habit of falling off when weighed down by camo/goggles or being removed by low lying branches in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

That generally sums it up an answers my questions. Thanks lads.

Another question though, see in the photos of the British guys in my first post, what is that that they have on this rims of their helmets? It looks like rubber. Hardly a tire tube or something is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

If your talking about the thick black rubber band the guy has around the rim of his helmet, then its main purpose is to keep the helmet cover in place. The ones I've seen used were made from inner tire tubes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It looks like rubber. Hardly a tire tube or something is it?

Until we got proper DPM cover's for our helmets (Irish DF) we used inner tubes from Land Rovers to hold the old netting in place.

The Israeli Defence Forces used similar.

Apparently, and I don't know if this is truth or myth - but we weren't allowed use tape as it was harder to pull off if your helmet netting/camo caught fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

I know some units have banned the wearing of rubber bands and tape around the helmet, apparently there have been cases of men getting caught up in ied strikes, and then having the band around the helmet melting which in turn causes futrther injuries to the face. Not sure is it SOP on the current herrick though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I have an old British Mk6 helmet with a rubber band on the rim. It's seems to be from a tyre inner tube but I believe they also used cut up NBC suit boots. Essentially it's the only thing keeping the attached net on the helmet. The helmet cover is none too secure either. The rubber is a pig to get on but it doesn't come off easy either.

I don't think rubber is used anymore. For one thing where do you get inner tubes? So called 'sniper tape' seems to be used a lot now. You would think a decent helmet cover or fitted nets would be a better idea. Although I do think there an element of military style involved. The cool 'combat' look. The Brits have a name for it. Can't think of it offhand. American helmet covers fit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

xflyer wrote: »
    I have an old British Mk6 helmet with a rubber band on the rim. It's seems to be from a tyre inner tube but I believe they also used cut up NBC suit boots. Essentially it's the only thing keeping the attached net on the helmet. The helmet cover is none too secure either. The rubber is a pig to get on but it doesn't come off easy either.

I don't think rubber is used anymore. For one thing where do you get inner tubes? So called 'sniper tape' seems to be used a lot now. You would think a decent helmet cover or fitted nets would be a better idea. Although I do think there an element of military style involved. The cool 'combat' look. The Brits have a name for it. Can't think of it offhand. American helmet covers fit better.

Its hardly 'nails'. I've heard brits saying that before, as in, sort your kit and you'l look nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Googled around, it's 'Ally'. As in 'looking ally'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Its hardly 'nails'. I've heard brits saying that before, as in, sort your kit and you'l look nails.

the term is 'ally'.

the band/tape thing was to keep the helmet cover on, but it did develop into a fashion item (like faded windproof smocks and semi-flourescent Jungle trousers). the fuss stared when it was used with desert helmet covers and somebody finally noticed that having a fecking great black band around the bottom of the helmet made it stick out like the bollocks on a bulldog, and was an excellent aiming point.

someone then got their knickers in a twist about sniper tape (a matt fabric tape, available in a lightish green or sand colour) being used for the same 'purpose'. unfortunately this happened at the same time as a problem in supply of helmet covers in MTP meant that the only sizes available were pretty small, so unless you had a head the size of a fist you actually needed to use tape to keep the bloody thing on.

most people still use tape to secure the cover, fortunately the MTP uniform goes well with either green or sand, and the tape gets filthy pretty quickly, so it just blends in well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi all,
    I think the Germans started the trend as they used to use inner tube, chicken wire and ordinary wire to secure camouflage, such as twigs and foliage, to their helmets. The British tended to cut and shape a sandbag over their helmets, to distort the outline. In the Irish Army, I have used the insulating-tape-around-rim to keep on a scrim net, to which natural foliage was attached.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I think the Germans started the trend as they used to use inner tube, chicken wire and ordinary wire to secure camouflage, such as twigs and foliage, to their helmets. The British tended to cut and shape a sandbag over their helmets, to distort the outline. In the Irish Army, I have used the insulating-tape-around-rim to keep on a scrim net, to which natural foliage was attached.
    regards
    Stovepipe

maybe it is to hold a first aid pad and bandage.....they used to have a special pocket for that in the old battle dress uniforms...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

In the old Irish plain olive drab combat uniform, the first field dressing was worn in a pocket on the left leg of the pants. It usually ended up worn into a useless ball.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Advertisement