Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

This is getting ridiculous at this stage.

Himself and Duffy get to dominate half the afternoon/evening on the country's flagship station, and none of the managers seem to have a problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

This is getting ridiculous at this stage.

Himself and Duffy get to dominate half the afternoon/evening on the country's flagship station, and none of the managers seem to have a problem with that?

Look at the JNLR figures.. Duffy has the second most popular show on Irish radio. Does that not give him the right to have an afternoon show?? I can't stand his show personally, but credit where credit is due

syklops wrote: »
    3 o'clock happens to be a time when a lot of mammies are stuck outside schools waiting for kids to come out, I am sure that has something to do with the massive increase in numbers.

Why do people not give the presenter some credit?? Making statements that because he is on 1, or that the kids are off school may contribute somewhat, but then what do you say about Tubridy? He has lost 50% of Gerry Ryan listenership, so it is down to the presenter to keep, and build his listeners figures.. You don't have to like Mooney, but he does generate figures, his show generates advertising revenue, and fair play to him.. Not a fan of his show either, or anything on 1 for that matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Caledonman wrote: »
    Why do people not give the presenter some credit??

Because they take far too much credit for themselves. I really thought we were past this sort of arrogant self-justification from the RTE "stars".

Because they take far too much credit for themselves. I really thought we were past this sort of arrogant self-justification from the RTE "stars".

I would say that Duffy is arrogant, but I would not put Mooney in that bracket.. He is confident and there is a difference. I don't think the problems are in radio 1 anyway. they are in 2Fm and the rest of the backroom staff. There simply are too many of them, but I'm saying that without knowing how many.
    Getting back to arrogance, would you put Ray Darcy, George Hooke and people like that in that pile? it's too easy to judge without knowing these people. I have no problem at all with big salaries for presenters, as long as they are delivering the listenership figures.. and that is what it comes back to.. the advertiser wants their advertising on the popular shows, and they pay for it.. The same law of salaries would apply to people like Michael O'Leary.. he comes across as arrogant, is paid a fortune, but delivers passengers, revenue and keeps the shareholders happy.. When is a salary justified in that case?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'm referring to the rampant editorial control.

Unless Liveline's team just happen to be conservative, anti-Shinner holy-joes who love all things Ballyer/Clontarf, and Mooney's rampant pursuers of gay culture, the Eurovision, and anything Louis Walsh is doing this week?

I would say that Duffy is arrogant, but I would not put Mooney in that bracket.. He is confident and there is a difference. I don't think the problems are in radio 1 anyway. they are in 2Fm and the rest of the backroom staff. There simply are too many of them, but I'm saying that without knowing how many.
    Getting back to arrogance, would you put Ray Darcy, George Hooke and people like that in that pile? it's too easy to judge without knowing these people. I have no problem at all with big salaries for presenters, as long as they are delivering the listenership figures.. and that is what it comes back to.. the advertiser wants their advertising on the popular shows, and they pay for it.. The same law of salaries would apply to people like Michael O'Leary.. he comes across as arrogant, is paid a fortune, but delivers passengers, revenue and keeps the shareholders happy.. When is a salary justified in that case?

It's not just a case of how much revenue The Mooney Show generates. What's more relevant is - does he earn so much more revenue than others could in that timeslot to justify that salary? I don't think so.

Speaking of Ryanair, would they pay vastly greater amounts to their employees than their competitors would, or could? No.

It's not just a case of how much revenue The Mooney Show generates. What's more relevant is - does he earn so much more revenue than others could in that timeslot to justify that salary? I don't think so.

Speaking of Ryanair, would they pay vastly greater amounts to their employees than their competitors would, or could? No.

Off track I know, but Ryanair do pay some employees a lot more than competitors, and I know this from work I have done in there. While he is a tough taskmaster, he does and will pay big money for key players in his team, but they work for it and have to deliver. I do think you are being unfair on Mooney though, he may not appeal to you (or me) but he does to many others. I'm sure you could think of others that could do his time slot no problem, would they be as good or better? From a business point of view, who cares. They are not going to risk what is clearly working for them in RTE to give a cheaper presenter a go at it.. They could clearly try that strategy in 2FM who have an expensive Tubridy not delivering.

Off track I know, but Ryanair do pay some employees a lot more than competitors, and I know this from work I have done in there. While he is a tough taskmaster, he does and will pay big money for key players in his team, but they work for it and have to deliver. I do think you are being unfair on Mooney though, he may not appeal to you (or me) but he does to many others. I'm sure you could think of others that could do his time slot no problem, would they be as good or better? From a business point of view, who cares. They are not going to risk what is clearly working for them in RTE to give a cheaper presenter a go at it.. They could clearly try that strategy in 2FM who have an expensive Tubridy not delivering.

We're just going to go round and round circles here, I doubt either of us is going to change the others mind on the matter. As been unfair on poor old Derek, I feel the same way about all those on RTE's top ten salary list i.e., they are still being paid far too much. I'm speaking about Mooney here because he is the one quoted in The Herald article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Forget Nestcam, here's where the most interesting Birds are to be seen (SFW)

www.reddit.com/r/birdswitharms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Mooney and his team broadcasting from MALMO all this week!!!!
    Shurley a bit of giddy eurovision overkill.
    Good to see our licence money...etc, etc.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Last year they were at pains to point out that one of the Sunday rags (I can't remember which one) paid for their trip to Azerbaijan, presumably there will be a similar deal this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Sausages, sausages, sausages and more sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Yakuza wrote: »
    Last year they were at pains to point out that one of the Sunday rags (I can't remember which one) paid for their trip to Azerbaijan, presumably there will be a similar deal this year.

Yep!

Same again this year, he was already plugging the hell out of some godawful rag last week for sending him "at no expense to you, the licence fee payer" (yeah, right!) to Malmo for EuroSausagefest 2013. So one plug for it every 15 mins for the week no doubt.

And the first plug goes to Scandinavian Airlines......oh shock horror! Linda Martin on Mooney - whuddathunkit!:rolleyes:....next up must be the gimp imp Louis Walsh....have fun girls, Newstalk beckons!

Paul G.........run, people, run.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus is it Eurovision again ?

This year's entry is pretty good, to be fair, much better than the dross served up in the last few years. It might do reasonably well, but we don't have a prayer of winning - more due to neighbours voting for each other rather than the song itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jesus is it Eurovision again ?

Who won ?

Lapin wrote: »
    Who won ?

Nobody yet, it's on Saturday. RTE1 listeners are the losers, being subjected to a week of EV fever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Who won ?
    Spain

Yakuza wrote: »
    This year's entry is pretty good, to be fair, much better than the dross served up in the last few years. It might do reasonably well, but we don't have a prayer of winning - more due to neighbours voting for each other rather than the song itself.

Haven't heard it yet. Even if he's playing it now I'm still not switching back for fear Mr. Paul G. Knowitall is pontificating about how the Estonian entry of 1999 was a rip-off of the Swiss song that finished ninth in 1962 or some other uninteresting fact stored in his databank head.

Unlike the last few years when Mooney hadn't enough airtime to continually loop his beloved Jedward time and time again, this song seems to be a mere sideshow.

Mooney ignoring the Irish entry, hmmmm!. For that reason alone, it must be good :)

• Advertisement

Who won ?

Clermont Auvergne.

or Bayern Munich :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

europa11 wrote: »
    Clermont Auvergne.

or Bayern Munich :D
    did this fella not win? Klinsmann is a good singer

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im waiting for Rock'n'Roll kids, and then its going off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What a ferocious racket, I just had to turn it off, that doesn't happen too often. You obviously had to 'be there'.(avec ear muffs) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Happyman42 wrote: »
    What a ferocious racket, I just had to turn it off, that doesn't happen too often. You obviously had to 'be there'.(avec ear muffs) :rolleyes:

RocknRoll kids, was fine, but it went off after.

What is it whenever there are kids around the done thing is to encourage them to shreik loudly? And no matter how much they scream the first time, its not loud enough they have to try it again, and you can hear all the little urchins forcing air out of their throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Mealworms? I left the remains of a chicken tikka masala outside this morning for the birds. They made quick work of yesterdays spaghetti bolognese. Them, or the rats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Wonder will Derek spend all next week dissecting Eurovision as offering up hundreds of reasons as to why Ireland did so badly. OR

Maybe he's finally over his eurovision love affair and will get back to broadcasting interesting and relevant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Derek will be on the prozac this week. With the last place after all the hype,gushing,panting.... What it cost rte et al to be resident there for the pst few days....enough already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

That sausagefest rubbish is over for another year. Mooney will be crying on the plane on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

MJ23 wrote: »
    That sausagefest rubbish is over for another year. Mooney will be crying on the plane on the way home.

with derek mooney the eurovision shoite is never over !!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement