Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

D.I.T Newbies - 2012/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

DT212 Science, anyone? Never would have thought for the life of me, I'd possibly end up studying science. :P

Anyone else possibly joining me? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vtolenti89

Hey dudes, how's it going?

I've received an unconditional offer for DT090E - MSc in Engineering Simulation and Modelling, and i was wondering if u got any idea about the timetable and how is this course like?:confused: I hold a Bachelor's degree in Mechatronics Engineering and have worked a while on development and manufacturing engineering areas.

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GaelicAnna

Hi All

I have been lucky enough to be accepted into DIT for the forthcoming BA Hons in Social Care. I am a mature student and judging by the photographs on their website of previous 'mature' students on planned social events.....I would say I'm VERY mature. They all look very young!That doesn't deter me however, I slot in everywhere and make friends easy. There is not a day goes by that I don't log on to the DIT website to navigate my way around the information provided and I have joined the DIT Mature Society on facebook, and the DIT students union on facebook. I'm totally embracing this student life and will crack up with laughter the day I get my student card!! Roll on september :D

Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Anna, there were four mature students out of ~25 in my first year. With some shared classes, it meant that there were at least four people over the age of forty in many of the classes. To be honest, it's a much better environment the more mixed it is, and everybody is more than happy to have some older faces around. Many mature students come in via the DIT Access programme, so you're unlikely to be the only one. I'm led to believe that the support services for mature students are very good too.

Thanks for that Aard. I agree, its more interesting and varied when there is a mix of backrounds. We all have something that we can bring to the table. I didn't get in via the Access route, I applied through the CAO. I'm so excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Tenks

I just got accepted into 2nd year of Journalism, after last week being told that the course was completely full! Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Hmm feel like I'm missing out, haven't been offered a place in any of my courses :D Really looking forward to it all now but at the same time I'm crapping it :( Accomodation is going to be the worst :/

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

ConTheCat, where did you apply?

and btw - will all of yous go for a full-time courses or are there any part-time prospective students or full time workers here as well? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

evilberry wrote: »
    ConTheCat, where did you apply?
    DIT Cathal Brugha!

I will be full time in Mountjoy Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FTS

ghpeople wrote: »
    Yupyaboya! Got my first choice DT341 Marketing this morning! Yipeeeee! See ye in September :D
    I have this down as my first choice too, and I already have my results as I did my LC last year. How did you get it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

FTS wrote: »
    Yupyaboya! Got my first choice DT341 Marketing this morning! Yipeeeee! See ye in September :D
    I have this down as my first choice too, and I already have my results as I did my LC last year. How did you get it already?

This could be due to several reasons:

>> You will be assessed along with all of the other LCs in August
    >> You have not been successfull in obtaining a place , due to grades

If I where a betting man, I'd say it's the first one, as even though you already have the results, your still entering using that route, and they don't review leaving certs unti august.

I got my place on DT211 offered in July this year as I deferred it last year, and last year I also got it in July as I entered VIA FETAC.

I would assume it was the same case for a lot of others here.

I would advise to give admissions a quick call and or email, they where VERY helpfull to me in the past , they may be even able to tell you if you have a place or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Hey FTS

I'm a mature student... saw a few posted in previous years that deferred placed and a lot of DIT placed generally were in the August round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I was the same last year, you'll get your offer with the other lc students :)

Guys,

Anyone know RE: Grant applicants, how the " Paying of fees " will work?

As i wouldn't have the money up front to pay for it, do DIT put a hold on paying them, until i hear back from Grant?

If so, is there any restrictions to this, IE no student card or whatever... etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

I mailed DIT myself to ask the same thing; and to make plans in case I'm turned down; this is what I got back - hope it helps.

"Students will be given 3 options for payment on Registration –
    1. To pay in full and register.
    2. To pay 50% of fees due and register and pay balance in January 2013 before 2nd Semester
    3. If a student is applying for a grant they may register without making a payment, declare their grant application details online and then await the decision of the grant awarding Body."

I mailed DIT myself to ask the same thing; and to make plans in case I'm turned down; this is what I got back - hope it helps.

"Students will be given 3 options for payment on Registration –
    1. To pay in full and register.
    2. To pay 50% of fees due and register and pay balance in January 2013 before 2nd Semester
    3. If a student is applying for a grant they may register without making a payment, declare their grant application details online and then await the decision of the grant awarding Body."

Brilliant! - thanks alot for the response, that's exactly what i was looking for.

I am FULLY dependent on the grant, so have no choice but to wait for it, glad they accommodate that.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Hey, Im doing DT028 Transport Operations & Technology. Coming in as a "mature student". Anyone else doing this?

esposito wrote: »
    Hey, Im doing DT028 Transport Operations & Technology. Coming in as a "mature student". Anyone else doing this?

Doing DT211 ( Computing ) myself;

I know someone that done that course you are starting on - and he thoroughly enjoyed enjoyed it, and is now reaping the benefits fully qualified and working in the public sector.

Sorry i can comment on this course itself, but thought id share, some good news at least :D

Doing DT211 ( Computing ) myself;

I know someone that done that course you are starting on - and he thoroughly enjoyed enjoyed it, and is now reaping the benefits fully qualified and working in the public sector.

Sorry i can comment on this course itself, but thought id share, some good news at least :D

Oh thats promising news indeed!! Really excited about this course as I'm finally doing something I'm genuinely interested in.

Good luck with your course and cheers for the reply!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Just about the Grant and paying of fees, just want to reassure everyone, DIT are really accommodating when it comes to that. When I was in first year I didn't get my grant approved till Easter, but there was no restrictions at all, one I showed them letter from the awarding body saying a decision was pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

I'm starting in DIT in September, at 23 it will be my third college...
    My main questions are regarding sports clubs and facilities...
    Anyone got any information on the swimming and waterpolo club?
    Or where I can even find information, all the websites are awfully updated...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Nearly positive il be awarded this course, second time applying through the cao after I took a year out last year.

Looks a good course!

ASOT wrote: »
    Nearly positive il be awarded this course, second time applying through the cao after I took a year out last year.

Looks a good course!

Yep it does indeed. Looking forward to the work placement in third year, an airline/airport or railway station for me!! But who knows I could develop other interests as the course progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Yep it does indeed. Looking forward to the work placement in third year, an airline/airport or railway station for me!! But who knows I could develop other interests as the course progresses

Yeah I mainly want to go into the airline industry so unless I change interests that will be my goal to! The college is right beside my new gym so it's a double whammy for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 schtat

Hi folks,

I'm starting DT249 in September (BSc Information Systems and Information Technology) as a mature student. Looking forward to it although kinda hoping working full-time doesn't finish me off(!).

Anyone else on here doing this one?

Cheers,
    Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clandestern

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Not sure if I need to introduce myself somewhere, this forum is full of info! :)

By the way, replying to the previous message, I will attend DT249 as well, not sure If I go in as a mature student (turned 23 this month)

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Not sure if I need to introduce myself somewhere, this forum is full of info! :)

By the way, replying to the previous message, I will attend DT249 as well, not sure If I go in as a mature student (turned 23 this month)

Welcome to Boards.ie - You will now find yourself spending most of your time procrastinating here :D

Aaah no, but really, welcome to the forum :)

Any ideas when the welcome packs come out? - Accepted my course like 3 weeks ago

R

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Any ideas when the welcome packs come out? - Accepted my course like 3 weeks ago

R

Probably get sent out after the CAO Offers I'd say

Advertisement