Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

P2P (Bittorrent etc) configuration & use discussion...ongoing (Only place to post!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

MooseJam wrote: »
    lol it'd probably be cheaper to buy the stuff, how much would a server cost ?

Well I saw one advertised for like 500 smackers in a dell business mag, but you can change pretty much any pc into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Has anyone tried the TCP patch to increase the number of half open connections?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

lol it'd probably be cheaper to buy the stuff, how much would a server cost ?

remote dedicated server may set you back from $30+ a month, if you got your own and you were luck it might be $50 odd for perhaps 70GB storage and maybe 1TB bandwidth.

Of course any copyright material would be against pretty much 100% of server providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the TCP patch to increase the number of half open connections?

Yea I tried that while it was working and I did get an increase in speed - but NTL went offline at the same time by chance and I'd thought I'd broken it so I removed it, I did get an increase in speed but that was before they throttled it, don't think it would make any difference now

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Tazzle wrote: »
    I'm on UPC and getting 1200k/s+ on torrents atm from private sites. I find the router complete cock, it seems to like messing with port forwarding. My solution was to disable upnp on it.

Yea quite recently my torrents haev gone to pants. with torrents that had 35k seeds and about 60k peers, and I was still getting from 15-30kb which is terrible.

howdid you change taht setting on yours? when I login to the modem and I can only seem to view the modems preset settings.
    also I see some people saying abut going into utorent options - speed guide
    I don't see an option there to tick the enable encription?
    ONly see the set speed options?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I have Eircom 3mb broadband and my download speeds aren't anything to write home about. Generally between 50kbps or so. I was using bittorrent, and am now going to utorrent a go. Can anyone suggest anything to improve my speed?
    Try encrypting the outgoing connections

Preferences --> BitTorrent --> Protocol : Encrypted

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

barnicles wrote: »
    Try encrypting the outgoing connections

Preferences --> BitTorrent --> Protocol : Encrypted

found the setting i did as you said, downloading at 965kb/s now :) good stuff thanks. lets see how long it'll last
    been steady now the last 7 mins

i'll have to try that myself

How'd it go MooseJam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Will need to watch this one close ...

Looks like Rapidshare are having a hard time in a Court Case in it's native Germany. I do hope they come out the other end ok!

http://idolator.com/5057694/rapidshare-might-be-rapidly-shutting-down-if-it-doesnt-comply-with-copyright-law

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=115&csid2=844&fid1=34018

I just signed up for the year !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

i'll have to try that myself

I've always used encryption. doesn't work. :(

What are they throttling exactly?
    All BT traffic or just a few specific ports?

Anybody know how to setup uTorrent so i can browse and torrent?

What are they throttling exactly?
    All BT traffic or just a few specific ports?

Seems to be sandvine type thing. Download is slowed and upload basically zero.

^^^^^

Ah :(

How'd it go MooseJam?

Oh I can't download untill 00:30, agreed schedule with the family :), I'll try it later and if it works will report back

just to note aswell, i also changed my port to a random port

What was the previous one,Lenny?

Lads I can still download as well but it's the upload that matters most to me.
    No upload on a private tracker means no ratio.

JPA wrote: »
    Lads I can still download as well but it's the upload that matters most to me.
    No upload on a private tracker means no ratio.
    Whats your DL speed?

• Advertisement

think the prevous port was 8001.
    just downloadin another torrent now.. and its back to the way it was...
    its odd going ons

Whats your DL speed?

My speed isn't as good as it was, usually around 100 kB when normally I could max out my 10 MB on a private tracker.

all this talk about private trackers.. could someone send me an invite to one or link in pm to see what all the banter is about

Lenny wrote: »
    all this talk about private trackers.. could someone send me an invite to one or link in pm to see what all the banter is about

Not very subtle eh.

well trying to ask in a disgreet way

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Tooorbooo

this theme is not for asking invites, read before posting lol ... any changes with UPC torrent downloading?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

No change here, ive set a random port and its disastrously bad, less then 15kb/s :(

**edit** - wait shot up to 650kb!! and dropping to 300~ now, interesting.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is not the place for requesting or issues invites to private trackers with very questionable content

yea i found that keep changing to random ports and it would shoot up and then go back down again after a few mins. what the content of the private trackers would be questionable, but they're private so who knows what they contain. Yes i am curious myself as to what is behind them private doors
    but what I can't seem to understand is if they're throttling downloadeds. howcome public torrents go slow and private torrents go fast, throttling is throttling isn't it, or is it because they know what the public trackers are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

No its not a case of public being throttled and private being free, im using private trackers and i am getting throttled on them too with the exception of last nights burst of speed!

Advertisement