Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

joedared wrote: »
    could somebody please help me or point me in the right direction.

I cant access my hotmail account from this Pc.But I can access it from other devices.

I can get to the hotmail page. then I have to type in my email address and password.I then get a dialog box that says
    Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?
    It then goes on to say
    this webpage contains content that will not be delivered using a secure HTTPS connection, which could comprimise the security of the entire page.
    I then have 2 option boxes. Yes or No.
    I always click yes. But I am just brought back to the Hotmail home page.

I have noticed that there is a padlock up in the address bar. At the padlock it says "microsoft cooperation" and then it says "identified by verisign".

I would appreciate any help (in laymans terms)with this matter. I have trawled extensively through the web to try and rectifiy the problem but I am not having any luck or the answers are too technical full of jargon and numbers I dont understand.

Its hard to know exactly what the issue is, it sounds like there is a problem with Internet Explorer. Here's what I would do:

Use a different broswer. I personally prefer google chrome. Its faster and its design is nicer and more efficient. I can understand why you would not want to change browser though. Link if you want it: https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/browser/?installdataindex=nosearch&hl=en-GB&brand=CHMB&utm_campaign=en-GB&utm_source=en-GB-ha-emea-ie-sk&utm_medium=ha

Otherwise, reinstall Internet Explorer. So download it again from Microsoft site and run the installer and it should overwrite the other version. Often issues arrise with programs and I have no idea why. My first port of call is to restart the PC. If that doesnt work, I would reinstall the offending program. This solves a huge % of issues I have.

Let me know if that works at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joedared

thank you for your help. I have turned of PC and turned it back on again but that hasnt helped. I like the suggestion of uninstalling Internet explorer, cause i have other issues and this solution might help with all my problems. I cant use Chrome as it does not allow to change settings. I have some visual problems and find it very difficult to look at a white screen. I have my screen black and the text is a kind of floresent yellow.

going to try uninstall now and then reinstall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This may be an internet question rather than a computer question but here goes anyway. Why is Youtube asking me for my real name and do I have to give it to them? Can they take my name from my Google a/c without my permission and put it in the public domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    This may be an internet question rather than a computer question but here goes anyway. Why is Youtube asking me for my real name and do I have to give it to them? Can they take my name from my Google a/c without my permission and put it in the public domain?
    No, they specifically have it set that you can refuse to use your real name and they won't bother you further with it.

thank you for your help. I have turned of PC and turned it back on again but that hasnt helped. I like the suggestion of uninstalling Internet explorer, cause i have other issues and this solution might help with all my problems. I cant use Chrome as it does not allow to change settings. I have some visual problems and find it very difficult to look at a white screen. I have my screen black and the text is a kind of floresent yellow.

going to try uninstall now and then reinstall

Oh ****. I have a horrible feeling that this guy is in a bad way. He probably uninstalled and can't reinstall it without IE to download it again. I should have been way clearer on that

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote: »
    No, they specifically have it set that you can refuse to use your real name and they won't bother you further with it.

I am trying to sign in to Youtube but a box appears and asks me to "Get a better name on Youtube' and I can't get past that, the site goes ghostly white behind this box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I am trying to sign in to Youtube but a box appears and asks me to "Get a better name on Youtube' and I can't get past that, the site goes ghostly white behind this box.
    What browser are you using. Do you know how to clear cookies. If so do it and try log in to youtube then. If that doesn't work go to goggle.com and sign in their. Doing that should auto log you into youtube.

ken wrote: »
    What browser are you using. Do you know how to clear cookies. If so do it and try log in to youtube then. If that doesn't work go to goggle.com and sign in their. Doing that should auto log you into youtube.

I'm using Firefox. Dunno how to clear cookies but I bet himself does. Will ask him when he returns to the ranch later. Thanks.

Tools-Options-Privacy-Show Cookies-Clear all cookies.

Ta very much Ken.

• Advertisement

Some help with my new outlook account please. I have looked extensively so this is my last hope.
    My hotmail account has recently been changed to an outlook account. When I send an email there is a picture of me accompaning the email. I want to remove this picture. The picture was on my facebook account. I removed it. It is still on my outlook account. I changed the picture on my outlook account to a blank square. My picture is still on emails.
    I use this account fot many job applications and this picture is not suitable to have on this email account. Even when I try and change it , it can still be seen.

Some help with my new outlook account please. I have looked extensively so this is my last hope.
    My hotmail account has recently been changed to an outlook account. When I send an email there is a picture of me accompaning the email. I want to remove this picture. The picture was on my facebook account. I removed it. It is still on my outlook account. I changed the picture on my outlook account to a blank square. My picture is still on emails.
    I use this account fot many job applications and this picture is not suitable to have on this email account. Even when I try and change it , it can still be seen.

Click the Gear icon beside your name located at the upper right corner your Outlook interface.
    Click More mail settings.
    Under Reading email, click Content from third-party networks.
    Under Showing public content, select Don't show public content from third-party networks.
    Click Save.

This should work for you Joe.

thank you so so so much Ken. I have spent days trying to resolve this problem you had it solved in minutes. A Navan man for your life. Im originally from Navan too. An uaimh Abu

thank you so so so much Ken. I have spent days trying to resolve this problem you had it solved in minutes. A Navan man for your life. Im originally from Navan too. An uaimh Abu
    Lol, I'm actually from Newbridge in Kildare. I just changed it to Navan for a joke last weekend for a thread in after hours. But anyway your most welcome.

I have had sucess here in the past so here's hoping I can get an answer to this one too.
    I am currently doing the ECDL on line and in one of the modules the "outlook application" is used.
    I have outlook express and microsoft office outlook but i cant configure either application. I have followed the wizard to configure microsoft outlook but I keep been told it is encrypted.
    my hotmail has recently changed to outlook but I think the 2 applications I have mentioned are different.

Any help much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have had sucess here in the past so here's hoping I can get an answer to this one too.
    I am currently doing the ECDL on line and in one of the modules the "outlook application" is used.
    I have outlook express and microsoft office outlook but i cant configure either application. I have followed the wizard to configure microsoft outlook but I keep been told it is encrypted.
    my hotmail has recently changed to outlook but I think the 2 applications I have mentioned are different.

Any help much appreciated

Are they (ahem) legal copies? As in, did you pay Microsoft for them?

hmm. I never considered that. I have the microsoft office suite and can access the other applications. I have them quite a while. my two teenagers got them from our local college

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Ive a silly question, the answer is probably obvious :o

I seem to have "lost" the volume control on my computer.
    Any idea how I get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Chucken wrote: »
    Ive a silly question, the answer is probably obvious :o

I seem to have "lost" the volume control on my computer.
    Any idea how I get it back?

If using windows

click the up arrow (^) on the bar at the bottom, near the time on the right
    then select customise
    in the dropdown for volume, choose show icon and notifications

that'll make it appear in the tray

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Got it :D Thank you!!

• Advertisement

My hotmail account has recently changed to outlook. im getting use to it. but as of today I no longer have an option to attach files or documents. I have used other devices and I still cannot attach documents. But I see there is an option for insert. This does give me the option to attach. Any any device and on other browsers. But it does not allow me to attach documents, on the device I use frequently or on the explorer browser.

How can I resolve this?

Could someone clarify this for me please. Is a gmail account the same as a Google account?

Could someone clarify this for me please. Is a gmail account the same as a Google account?

I think so, yes. I initially got a gmail account years ago when it first came out. It has since automatically become my youtube, google docs, google drive and google+ account by default since they are owned by google. I assume a "Google account" is an account which encompasses all these services whereas a gmail account only covers the email specifically. They terms could be interchanged though. Its semantics really

Thanks Grimebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

you should be able login to all the google sites/services with your gmail address & password

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Up to recently, I had no problem downloading books on to my wife's Kindle from the "calibre" website. But now, it's no go, obstacles at every turn.

Does anyone out there know how to download books from any site? Mrs. Cucina likes crime and murder mysteries, and I had been able to download many for free but she being a voracious reader, she will soon have none left to read. So any advice about how I can earn a few brownie points would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Got some sort of a virus that kept popping up a message every time I turned on computer, so I started up in safe mode and reset computer to an earlier date that I knew was virus free. I then did a couple of whole computer scans with anti-virus and all came up clear. (AVG)

My question is, did this remove virus or is it just moved somewhere waiting to start up again.

Embarrassed to say I am back with the same problem again with Youtube. I keep getting the message 'Get a better name on Youtube, replace your hard-to-read username, and start using the name people know you by'. Last time it was suggested I clear cookies which I did and it sorted it out, for a while, but its back again with a vengeance. While logged in (watching craft tutorials), I am able to 'like' a video, but if I want to leave a complimentary message to the demonstrator it won't let me and I get that irritating message. My 'hard-to-read' name is not 'hard-to-read' at all, and it is extremely easy to read in fact! Do I have to keep clearing dem cookies regularly then, and even if I do change my username, might I still get the message? I appreciate you stayed with me this far. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am being damned with that thing too! I have no intention of changing my user name. I find the easiest way of getting round it is just go out of the page and go back in, it doesn't appear the next time. It is very irritating that there is no 'no thank you' option.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I am being damned with that thing too! I have no intention of changing my user name. I find the easiest way of getting round it is just go out of the page and go back in, it doesn't appear the next time. It is very irritating that there is no 'no thank you' option.

Yep, it disappears when I go out and come back in again. But I am still not allowed to leave any messages because then the message jumps up again.

Advertisement