Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Litter, Beer cans, Drinks bottles - Would you support a returnable charge?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I would agree with the idea. Besides the advantage to the enviornment, it would also help homeless people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

poisonated wrote: »
    I would agree with the idea. Besides the advantage to the enviornment, it would also help homeless people.

Yep, bin raiding would be a more common sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Yeah, it works in Berlin. You see perfectly respectable looking people cycling around at 3am looking for empty bottles. It'll help keep the place cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Yeah, it works in Berlin. You see perfectly respectable looking people cycling around at 3am looking for empty bottles. It'll help keep the place cleaner.

Wonder what it'd be like in Dublin?

"That's my bleedin' can you ****ing muppet, get away from it before I stab you in the eye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

segaBOY wrote: »
    How do you think this one would be funded? Our cash strapped public purse? If you look at the thread title it's a "returnable charge".

Just like the "Producer Recycling Fund" for electronics the consumer ended up paying in order to return their goods.

The money for this project would have to come from somewhere. More than likely it would be an extra charge levied on all glass bottles/cans which would be refunded upon returning the bottles/cans to the designated centre.

Its a Deposit charge, You get your money back when the can/Bottler is returned to the the Retailer. Its not a Charge or a tax but a deposit (exactly like what is don't today on gas refill cylinders)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Are people missing the point? A scheme like this would not cost more, it would be a neutral effect.
    e.g. Each can has a 10 cent return value, then charge 10 cent more for the can.
    Only those too lazy to return them (i.e. the litterbugs) lose out on the 10 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

In the 70s and 80s they used to have a similar system for Coke and Fanta bottles, the old glass bottles, 750ml or larger. Just take them back intact and you'd get 10p for them. Without that, those bottles would only get broken and there were too many broken bottles on Belfast's streets already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

phasers wrote: »
    The fourth option is not for me. You poll is just crap and biased. You may as well not have a poll at all.

Ireland isn't Germany . I somehow can't see the junkies in my local park picking up their cans when they're done and I sure as hell wouldn't touch them either.

Well the fact is, you are wrong, it works perfectly well in other countries.

I live in Norway where they have this recycling scheme and YES junkies, alco's and not so well off people do pick them up. I can walk around any town in Norway and you are guaranteed to see someone rummaging around the bins looking for bottles. Its VERY rare that you see an empty cans or bottles on the street.

Also you gets kids picking them up at music festivals during the day, its a gold mine for them and the place stay's a hell of a lot cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

In my back yard I have a bin for recyling cardboard, cans etc., a bin for glass recycling and a standard refuse bin. I already recycle all my bottles and cans and I don't want to have to go back to the shop or off licence to return them. I already pay for the recycling to be collected from my home once a fortnight.

This "Tax" would be unbalanced because it is the ordinary joe soap who has to pay for the scobes who throw their cans and bottles away when out bushin.

How about the litter wardens do their jobs and start fining people. I live in Cork and the only time you see a litter warden is when they are strolling round the city centre trying to catch some dude throwing a cigarette butt away instead of concentrating on the littering that is causing most of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Only those too lazy to return them (i.e. the litterbugs) lose out on the 10 cents.

And those willing to pick the litter off the streets return it are essentially getting paid for their work.

Those who litter get an immediate 10c fine per can/bottle and those who pick up the litter earn 10c per item.

Great idea, I can't see why it's not already in place :confused:.
    CalBucket wrote:
    This "Tax" would be unbalanced because it is the ordinary joe soap who has to pay for the scobes who throw their cans and bottles away when out bushin.
    No they don't, if the scobes dump the can/bottle it'll simply go to where it's supposed to go and the 10c they paid is given to the gov (I'm assuming).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

!0/15c wouldn't be enough though, it would prob have to be around 30c or even more, otherwise everyone would just say, meh, its only 10/15c . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are people missing the point?.
    They are indeed, it is unfortunate that the OP put the word tax in the poll, so now instead of actually reading what is being said people are moaning about tax :rolleyes:

Gas cylinders were mentioned, it still goes on. AFAIK people still get milk bottles, I do not know what the story was with milkbottles but I expect if you did not return them the milkman would have said something. As I said earlier reusing is far more efficient than recycling. Many small bottles in pubs are reused, you can usually tell which since the edges are all rough where they grind against each other.
    !0/15c wouldn't be enough though, it would prob have to be around 30c or even more
    When I was in holland you got heavy durable crates, most people were bringing back a full crate back, so it would be 24 at a time.

Since the advent of €1 bottles the streets are littered with glass, horrible to see young kids running about who could fall on this crap. In the early 90's you would rarely see young lads drinking bottles as they were too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

!0/15c wouldn't be enough though, it would prob have to be around 30c or even more, otherwise everyone would just say, meh, its only 10/15c . . .

10/15c is more than enough. Collect 10(with the streets the way they are wouldnt take long) you get a euro, collect 100 hundred you get 10 euro. For someone on the dole who has time on their hands and would like to supplement their dole money people would do it. Before they stopped having trollies that you had to stick the euro in at dublin airport, back when I had my first job I used to go to Dublin Airport for a few hours(it was only down the road) and collect trolleys and keep the euro. I made on average 20 euro, and one day i made 60 euro! Now 20 euro does not sound like a lot sure its only 20 euro, but when money is low and you need a few quid to tide you over, you will do nearly anything for a couple of quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

whiteman19 wrote: »
    though the alcoholics would only then be fueling their addiction from all the money they'd make back :D:D

You don't make money from it, you get charged extra at the tills and get it refunded back. I'd be all for it btw. They have the system in Holland and you only have to look at how clean their town and cities are to see how it contributes to the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

CoalBucket wrote: »
    In my back yard I have a bin for recyling cardboard, cans etc., a bin for glass recycling and a standard refuse bin. I already recycle all my bottles and cans and I don't want to have to go back to the shop or off licence to return them. I already pay for the recycling to be collected from my home once a fortnight.

How about the litter wardens do their jobs and start fining people. I live in Cork and the only time you see a litter warden is when they are strolling round the city centre trying to catch some dude throwing a cigarette butt away instead of concentrating on the littering that is causing most of the problems.

Hi, I wish everyone were like you!, I do the exact same, I would never litter a place with anything. Problem is its nearly impossible to police litter, There is (pardon the pun) Literally hundreds of discarded cans/Bottles in the park near me. We clean up and 2 weeks later is the same as before. Youths drinking late a night leave their cans.

The only way to ensure that Cans and Bottles are collected and returned is by adding a deposit. It really does work and clears up that type of litter very fast. Litter wardens don't work 24/7... Deposit system does.(and its not a tax)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement