Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C25K - pain in leg

• 23-10-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

As a beginner runner with little experience of how to run 'properly' I'm finding that I'm perhaps injuring myself with my, possibly, poor gait when tired.

I run three times a week doing the C25K and I'm nearing the end of it, into the last week. I found initially that over the last 3 or so runs that my heel area would hurt after running. I read up on it and saw it might be related to my achilles tendon. So I did plenty of wall pushes to stretch it, combined with standing on the edge of a step and lowering slowly on the affected leg. THat seemed to work but after a few more runs I think maybe I was missing the real cause.

My last run I noticied that during (about mid way through a 30 min run) it I was getting a pain like sciatica from down my entire leg. It was like an ache and during the day after running in the morning my leg was quite sore. The next day it's feeling much better and I feel my next run (tomorrow) can go ahead.

I think what's happening is that I'm getting tired and perhaps moving / running in a weird way and this is causing my leg to get this ache and for my gait to detiorate badly. I noticed early on in the C25K that when I was tired that once or twice my legs hit off each other which I assume is indicative of something going wrong. This hasn't happened since.

So assuming I'm doing something wrong when tired, how do I fix this? What can I do to make sure I don't aggrevate my leg any more, how can I ensure the I maintain a decent gait? It's hard to know if this is even the issue but I'm guessing it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

bangley wrote: »
    As a beginner runner with little experience of how to run 'properly' I'm finding that I'm perhaps injuring myself with my, possibly, poor gait when tired.

I run three times a week doing the C25K and I'm nearing the end of it, into the last week. I found initially that over the last 3 or so runs that my heel area would hurt after running. I read up on it and saw it might be related to my achilles tendon. So I did plenty of wall pushes to stretch it, combined with standing on the edge of a step and lowering slowly on the affected leg. THat seemed to work but after a few more runs I think maybe I was missing the real cause.

My last run I noticied that during (about mid way through a 30 min run) it I was getting a pain like sciatica from down my entire leg. It was like an ache and during the day after running in the morning my leg was quite sore. The next day it's feeling much better and I feel my next run (tomorrow) can go ahead.

I think what's happening is that I'm getting tired and perhaps moving / running in a weird way and this is causing my leg to get this ache and for my gait to detiorate badly. I noticed early on in the C25K that when I was tired that once or twice my legs hit off each other which I assume is indicative of something going wrong. This hasn't happened since.

So assuming I'm doing something wrong when tired, how do I fix this? What can I do to make sure I don't aggrevate my leg any more, how can I ensure the I maintain a decent gait? It's hard to know if this is even the issue but I'm guessing it is.
    If you have any pain, you really should see a good sports physio.
    It's normal enough to have aches when you first start, but pain is never a good sign.
    Here's a good site with some pointers on good running form. You could also consider doing a chi running course if you wanted to get some first hand guidance.
    Make sure you're wearing good footwear. When I started C25k I got my gait tested and was fitted with a good pair of shoes that suited my feet and I never had any issues. Amphian King and Runways are 2 stores that are recommended around here a lot by Boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bangley

Thanks, yes I initially had poor shoes but invested in a decent pair of Brooks after going for a gait analysis in Arnotts / Elverys.

I did try Runways on three different occasions as I've used Cycleways a bunch of times. Have to say it's staffed by either extremely bored or very rude people. On each occasion I've gone in there (earlier this week being the latest) it's empty and the person behind the counter (different people on each visit) either knew less than I did in one instance (and I'm only beginning) or were just dismissive and rude. I only mention it cause it get's recommended here so often and really surprised me.

Anyway, thanks for the physio recommendation and the chi pointer. I am frustrated with this as I'm just starting out I always thought the difficulty would be with motivation to run and not injury while running! Hopefully I can sort it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

bangley wrote: »
    Thanks, yes I initially had poor shoes but invested in a decent pair of Brooks after going for a gait analysis in Arnotts / Elverys.

I did try Runways on three different occasions as I've used Cycleways a bunch of times. Have to say it's staffed by either extremely bored or very rude people. On each occasion I've gone in there (earlier this week being the latest) it's empty and the person behind the counter (different people on each visit) either knew less than I did in one instance (and I'm only beginning) or were just dismissive and rude. I only mention it cause it get's recommended here so often and really surprised me.

Anyway, thanks for the physio recommendation and the chi pointer. I am frustrated with this as I'm just starting out I always thought the difficulty would be with motivation to run and not injury while running! Hopefully I can sort it though.
    I know someone who had a bad experience in Runways too but it was a few years ago. Personally I'll never go anywhere else than Amphibian King.

Yes it must be frustrating alright. If you join a running group (local running Club/Fit for Life etc), you'll probably get some good guidance too.

Maybe try running on softer surfaces for a while (grass, trail etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

No affiliation with the shop but I got gait analysis done in Amphibian King in Ballymount recently and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. I was given lots of time and attention to make sure I got the right running shoes. Price of the shoes was pretty good too. Slightly more than online but the customer service more than made up for it.

Advertisement